PDA

View Full Version : Sound problem with laptop / desktop

Mark_Spit
04-04-2012, 12:53 PM
I've been experiencing feedback / interference /static when my mixer is connected to either my laptop or desktop. Even when the lappy / comp is off it still persists but once the USB is dissconnected the static disappears . I'm currently using a ground-loop isolator to alleaviate the problem which works well, but I'd like to get rid of that link in the chain for a more direct, cleaner signal.
Any suggestions? Could the USB cable be the culprit? I'm using a Fast Track Pro for my interface if that matters.

Reppage for help.

Mark_Spit
04-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Bump

Anybody? :(

SummitAudioDJ
04-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Does your laptop introduce the noise when it is unplugged just running on battery?

Mark_Spit
04-09-2012, 02:07 PM
I gets worse when only on the battery. Otherwise it's still there when plugged in, just not as loud.

SummitAudioDJ
04-09-2012, 02:20 PM
If it was truly a ground loop problem, unplugging your laptop should completely eliminate the interferance. I would say that something is wrong with your mixer input or external sound card if using one.

Mark_Spit
04-09-2012, 03:54 PM
My bad. I just double checked and the interference disappears when unplugged.

SummitAudioDJ
04-09-2012, 04:28 PM
The only advice I can offer is to ensure all of your power cables have the grounded plug (3 prong) and that the outlets you are plugging into are actually grounded as well. Use balanced cables wiring your system and if all that fails you may be stuck with the ground loop isolator. I use them on my laptop in lines and found they haven't discolored my sound at all when compared to using battery power and no isolator.

Mark_Spit
04-09-2012, 04:52 PM
The power cable for the lappy is a 3-prong and is plugged into a power bar. The culprit might be balanced cables which I I'm only using a few. Looks like I might be stuck with the isolator for now.

Thx for your help, Summit.

Repped!

SummitAudioDJ
04-09-2012, 06:06 PM
No problem. For a balanced run to work you need all balanced cables.