PDA

View Full Version : Dj Set Advice Please

Chockis
04-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Hi,
My name is Paulius. In summer I will have to DJ for a local scout camp night. They organizing a party on the last day of camp so they want me to make a disco.

I am using traktor pro with laptop keyboard mapping. I am still beginner in DJ world but I already done some mobile DJ gigs in various small house parties.

For this scout camp disco I want to dance aswell for some songs so I would like to bring pre-recorded mixes. The target audience is from 8 to 25 so I am looking at pop/electro/house genre. I have downloaded one hour dj set of some guy DJ Lonz. He mixed his set by having various popular vocals of 2012 hits mixed with some different other songs. So the rhythmic part of the song sounds totally different while having the same vocals. Therefore I wanted to ask if people prefer songs like they hear on a radio, or mixed accapella with other song. I don't want to risk playing those mixes because people can hate them because it is not what they used to hear but those mixes sound good. So what do you guys think is it safe to play mixed radio hits or play the originals?

I also have another question. Do any of you guys know any good pre-recorded sets with good quality and all the current hits? I know people say it is cheating to play pre-recorded but I also want to go and party. On the other hand I can make my own set in advance but would you have good suggestions for track list?

Thank you
Paulius

djpenguin
04-03-2012, 05:36 PM
You're going to get a lot of shit (and rightfully so) for your plan to steal someone else's mix. Do your own work. If you want a pre-mixed segment of music, mix it yourself.

To answer your original question, kids have terrible taste, and tend to want exactly what they've heard a million times before on the radio.

djnotloc
04-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Definitely agree with what he said, typically school age kids don't like hearing any sort of new mixing or remix to a song. Even though some remixes or your own mix sound 100x better, Ive had kids some dancing and look at me like Im a moron. The remix was even easier to bomb and grind to which we all know is all they care about at that age. Yet again, it could be just my area because I see videos of BOOM Ent out of Chicago and all they do is high school dances with mixes.

Dix
04-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Yeah my first thought was did you BUY that mix that you downloaded or did you have permission from the owner to use it for profit?

My next thing is, What are you getting paid for? If your just going to load pre-mixed music & let it play while you go dance, whats to prevent the client who hired you from doing the same thing? While they may not have high quality, professional equipment, if your taking music without paying for it, then I wouldn't be too sure you have quality equipment either. I'm just sayin', cheap is as cheap does.

If we're wrong let us know. But I cant see anyone paying a DJ to do what you're wanting to do. A 5 year old can push a button & let it play.

DYM
04-03-2012, 06:09 PM
If I were you I would pass it off to a professional and learn a bit before doing another gig. The guys above have great points to think about.

Chockis
04-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Thank you guys for quick and helpful reply ;) I am sorry for not explaining everything in more detail. It is not that bad as it looks to you now.

First of all don't worry. This is non for profit gig. This is just local scouts night and I am one of the leaders. I provide all the equipment and the equipment is good for small halls. I wouldn't definetly go and dance in the middle of the disco if this would be payed work but this is just a fun night but I want to make it more professional by having seamless transitions in case I need a brake or have fun aswell. I had this issue before in more serious gigs when I wanted to go to toilet but couldn't get a long enough song so I just set a song on a playlist and pressed 'cruise' button on traktor. This made it possible to have a brake but I was worrying all the time. That is why I am thinking to make pre-recorded set of few songs in ableton and then play them on traktor.

Thank you for advice. That mix that I have downloaded was uploaded by the creator. I have written him a message asking if I can use any part of the mix but still waiting for reply. However after consulting with you guys Ive decided not to use it and create my own. As well as I have decided to use originals because you have suggested that kids prefer songs in this way. Maybe for some songs I will do my own mixes.

Thank you
Paulius

Dix
04-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the reply & clearing up some things. Good Luck :)