PDA

View Full Version : Leaving business cards out at a wedding. Tacky or good business sense?

rocket's ass
04-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Yes this is a carry over from my last thread so I apologize if it's too redundant but I wanted to get everyone's opinion.

Leaving a stack of business cards out at a wedding in a little cardholder or whatever...

Is that tacky or good business sense?

DJ LEar
04-03-2012, 11:25 AM
I don't think it tacky at all. Makes sense to me.

Sween
04-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Leaving a stack of cards in a nondescript location near your table - Okay in my eyes.

Distributing cards on the guests' tables - Tacky

Having a sign or banner - Tacky

RodneyL
04-03-2012, 12:23 PM
I will do it if I am discounting or giving something away, like a half price school dance, but I dont ever do it at a paid wedding gig. I keep them in my pocket and if people ask I give them one and chat it up for a minute.

Nick_EventPro
04-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Weddings: ok to leave a stack on your table and give upon request. No banners or signs.
Schools: Depending on the client, I throw out custom made Tshirts, project my name on the wall, add it into video screens, whatever. I make sure they know what company just rocked the event.

SummitAudioDJ
04-03-2012, 04:03 PM
First I always ask the B & G if I can display my business cards, if yes then I have them set back from my table a good bit so it doesn't look tacky but are still visible for anyone coming to my rig to request or chat. If someone is interested they will ask for one regardless.

Dix
04-03-2012, 04:13 PM
We usually put one card holder for each... business cards & magnets out on our DJ table.

sse
04-03-2012, 05:07 PM
i will do it if i am discounting or giving something away, like a half price school dance, but i dont ever do it at a paid wedding gig. I keep them in my pocket and if people ask i give them one and chat it up for a minute.

ditto

Brom
04-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Weddings: ok to leave a stack on your table and give upon request. No banners or signs.

Yep, same here. I have a stack of my cards near my mixer and hand them out if requested, especially since you can't see my table from in front of my facade.

I used to work for a company that had a velcro sign to put on the front but I always thought that was cheesy.

Silver Man
04-04-2012, 08:25 AM
I do no signs on my table, but I do place business cards on my table. They blend in quite well also as I have a black table cloth, black card holders, and my cards are a dark smoke film with silver foil printing. I show pictures of my setup to every potential client and point out that the business cards are out. They are hard to find in pictures sometimes because they blend in. All in all, this is the best route to go.

wilson
04-04-2012, 09:13 AM
Depends on how you do it. I sometimes put a few out behind my booth by the request sheet. I don't think I'd ever just stick them out front or anywhere you could see it from the front. Seems pretty tacky to me. Other than that, keep some in my wallet when people ask.

DJMC
04-04-2012, 11:24 AM
No signage is displayed.

At weddings and other events, I have a supply of cards hidden in my DJ console, they are given out only when requested.

frankwite
04-04-2012, 12:48 PM
I keep some in my pocket and give them out only if requested!

DJ Riddims
04-04-2012, 06:39 PM
I think its tacky to place cards on tables, except for the one I am using. Chances are a high majority of the crowd are not looking to hire a dj anytime soon so why should I place cards on them. Only those who approach me about dj'ing or give compliments I will give a card to.