PDA

View Full Version : Soundboard output connection question...

tizlaney
02-06-2012, 08:54 AM
I just got a Alesis S-6 compact sound board to use at weddings. I own a Denon 6000 and a American Audio VMS4 that I use primarily for weddings and I will be connecting one, or both (when two dj's work an event), of these to the soundboard along with two wireless microphones.

Previously I have connected the output of the 6000 or the VMS4 using xlr to my powered sound system (2-Mackie 450's & 2-1801's).

The new mixer only has 1/4 outputs (2) labeled (Left and Right)

I am planning on building new cables (i have done this numerous times successfully).

MY QUESTION IS THIS.....

Do I use 1/4" mono (TS) to xlr male OR 1/4" stereo (TRS) to xlr male?

A buddy told me to use trs to maintain the balanced configuration but I feel like the output jacks are only mono (the manual is not specific).
Any input would be appreciated.

Budzak
02-06-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm almost certain the outputs on that are not balanced, so the TS plug should work.

tizlaney
02-06-2012, 03:30 PM
I checked the jacks and they are TRS balanced. Thanks for the response Budzak

ampnation
02-11-2012, 06:10 PM
tizlaney;

It seems you've figured this out, but just in case, let me get into more detail...

As you state, both of your outputs (left and right) on the s6 are balanced. The three conductors when used in this application represent TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) for a balanced mono connection. Sometimes there is confusion because the same connector (1/4" three conductor) is used for things like stereo headphones which are NOT balanced.

What I would construct are cables with TRS plugs on one end and XLR-M on the other end assuming I made custom cables for the application.

What I actually do is simply use something like a Hosa GXP-246 adapter because I like all my line cable to be XLR for versatility. That's because I never seem to do the same setup from one time to the next. When your setup doesn't change often, dedicated, purpose-built cables without adapters is the better option IMO.

Budzak
02-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Surprising on a little mixer like that. I tried my best in searching for info and didn't see anything that said one way or another, but hey: Now you know!

ampnation
02-13-2012, 01:16 AM
Surprising on a little mixer like that. I tried my best in searching for info and didn't see anything that said one way or another, but hey: Now you know!
It seems to only be cheap DJ mixers that have unbalanced outputs. Every desk style including the smallest format ones has had balanced outputs. So to me, it's surprising when a mixer doesn't have balanced outs.