PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on the xone db2 versus the db4?

Damon_Chambers
01-29-2012, 07:10 AM
im an avid a&h fan. ive been drooling over the db4 for over a year now. they released the db2 these last couple of weeks. whats everyones thoughts on it?

LoVX5-vXmQ0

djlukewathey
02-05-2012, 08:04 AM
the db2 is going to be my next mixer but will take me till christmas before i can afford to buy it lol but after the research iv done on it it seems the bd4 is slightly different with the obviouse 2 extra effects channels i imagine theres alot more than that but the bd4 is alot more expensive...

iv not owned a allen & heath before either but my brother has just bought a xone 92 which im really impressed with (ive got an ecler nuo 4)

silentsounds
02-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Both mixers look good. Unfortunately for my needs both of them just seem like overkill. I guess if one uses all that functionality, either should be good buys.

jay melis
02-05-2012, 07:26 PM
I've got an db4... It's all things beyond amazing.

The update they released this month really lets you know why a xone is a good choice!

Damon_Chambers
02-05-2012, 08:37 PM
I've got an db4... It's all things beyond amazing.

pics or it didnt happen. (i want to see any and every picture of this mixer. i <3 it.)

drumpusher
02-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Too much going on for what I play, settled on the 42. Wanting a Rane 2016.

jay melis
02-05-2012, 08:55 PM
pics or it didnt happen. (i want to see any and every picture of this mixer. i <3 it.)

I'll post one in the post a pic thread one of the days.

It's too late and my gf is already sleeping :D.

DJ Nutty
02-06-2012, 01:11 PM
What extra features did the new firmware update add ?
Got a link to details ?

finalcoyote
02-06-2012, 01:28 PM
It's a lot of features... I don't know. I love A&H, but I've had bad experiences with them... hmm.

DJ ArmanB
02-07-2012, 05:50 AM
I love the DB4, but in my opinion the DB2 looks like crap :-\. Still a great mixer though...

jay melis
02-07-2012, 06:47 AM
What extra features did the new firmware update add ?
Got a link to details ?

Firmware V1.12 (Latest Release. Feb 2012)
Some of the features of the new firmware are:

Revised gain structure to provide better signal level alignment between analogue and digital Inputs
New effects architecture that allows the tails of reverbs and delays to continue in the mix when the Wet/Dry control is turned back to Dry – (use the menu to select Modes)
Some new effects types
Rotary mixer mode, (swaps the Wet/Dry knob and channel Fader controls)
Software RIAA available on Ch1 and Ch4
New Cue Modes
More mixer setting now saved when the mixer is powered Off
X:Link functionality
Software RIAA on channels 1 & 4
Added functionality to ‘Distortion’ to include ‘Stutter’ gating
New DLY FX type – Masif-Q
New DMG FX type – BitBash 2
New FX modes – Classic/KillSend/Send
New latching cue mode
New rotary mode – swap functionality of channel fader and FX Dry/Wet knob
New metering option to show main mix on main meters even when a channel is cued
More parameters are now saved to USB key and across power cycle

It's on the xone website ;)

DJ Nutty
02-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Nice! :)
Soo expensive tho.. I thought the db2 looked nice, love the fact you can map 1 input onto many channels for layering effects over the top.

Damon_Chambers
02-08-2012, 09:26 AM
I love the DB4, but in my opinion the DB2 looks like crap :-\. Still a great mixer though...
it looks like crap, but still a great mixer? :confused:

Nice! :)
Soo expensive tho.. I thought the db2 looked nice, love the fact you can map 1 input onto many channels for layering effects over the top.

ill admit any day of the week that im an a&h fanboy, but when it comes to their product it really seems that you get what you pay for. i agree that the price tag on the db4 is very high, but if i had 3k sitting around id drop it on one in a heartbeat.

login
02-08-2012, 09:58 PM
The only thing I think the db2 really misses is the eq mode switch, also it is the feature that I want to test the more about those mixers.

The db4 really seems overkill, too much money also. I would settle for a db2 in a no laptop set up.

Rick_N
02-08-2012, 10:57 PM
I messed around with the DB2 at NAMM and it really wasnt my cup of tea, plus I thought it was butt ugly.

You all know how us dj's have to look good and match with our mixers of choice lol.

DJ Nutty
02-09-2012, 07:16 AM
login, the db2 does have the eq mode switch. It has the 3 modes of the db4, but its only switchable in the screen options.

login
02-09-2012, 12:49 PM
login, the db2 does have the eq mode switch. It has the 3 modes of the db4, but its only switchable in the screen options.

That was what I was referring to, lack of the physical switch.

Any way, for those who have tested it, does these eq modes add anything significant?