PDA

View Full Version : Ecler Nuo 2.0 FX Loop

Timmy G
04-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Hey everyone. I recently came across a good deal for an ecler nuo 2.0 with an innofader built in and I'm deciding whether I should buy it or not. The only thing that is holding me back is fx loop on the mixer, because I have heard a lot of negative things about it.
Has anyone on this forum used an effects unit with this particular mixer? If so, what were the results?

Ness
04-04-2012, 08:20 AM
I had a Nuo 2.0 with an EFX500, maybe i was doing something wrong, but it sounded horrible. Distortion, effects not sounding as they should; in fact, it was bad enough to have put me off using an external effects unit in the future. Aside from the non-linearity of the upfaders (volume spiking suddenly towards the end of upfading), I did like the mixer a lot, but with my xone 32 now, I wouldn't ever look back.

Timmy G
04-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Apparently the problem is when u activate the fx loop the track itself is still heard under the effects being played, so whenever the effects are activated it sounds like the phaser effect. I just decided to get a used TTM57 instead and managed to get one in good condition. And it still has some factory warranty left

Phi
04-10-2012, 12:19 AM
In case anyone is interested in the Nuo 2.0

Apparently the problem is when u activate the fx loop the track itself is still heard under the effects being played, so whenever the effects are activated it sounds like the phaser effect.

Yes, but only if you don't adjust for the Return. The FX Return drops back in the master bus so if you have both the line fader and the FX send up you will be layering the signal ontop of itself with a slight delay which causes a partial phase cancelation aka. "phaser effect" I'm not certain, but I suspect that the delay is introduced by the hardware DSP, and not a problem with the analog signal path itself, which should be close to latency free.

This isn't a real problem if you turn the Send up and immediatly pull the line totally down. The phase cancelation will be so brief that no one will hear it. It just took me an afternoon of practice to get it into one smooth motion.

Personally, I think the Nuo 2.0 with an innofader is a great piece of gear. I've never had any distotion other than the afore mentioned phase cancelation. I also found that the linefaders CAN be set to approximatly a linear fade. It is right around the 3 O'clock position on the linefader curve control dial. You can verify this by moving the fader untill you hit one of the logarithmic "bumps" and then adjusting the curve controll untill the bump is smoothed out.

Good luck!

loww
04-10-2012, 04:33 AM
I have a Nuo 2 and the left half (labelled soft) of the fader shape control doesn't appear to make a difference? Once you get into the 'hard' half there is a difference.

Phi
04-11-2012, 01:21 AM
I have a Nuo 2 and the left half (labelled soft) of the fader shape control doesn't appear to make a difference? Once you get into the 'hard' half there is a difference.

Yeah, it appears that the original Nuo 2's channelfader control was labeled soft and hard whereas the ".0" model just has slightly inaccurate drawings of the curves. I've only had experience with the ".0" version, and the fader control section was totally reworked between the two, so your model may not be able to approximate linear fades, but if you help us with your description a little I think we can be certain, you interested?

When you say "difference" I'm not sure what exactly is changing. Can you visually describe the form of the curve when the knob is all the way to the left (soft) side? Does it start at zero and quickly rise to full volume (probably what the "hard" setting should be like) or does it slowly climb until suddenly jumping to full?

If the latter is true, then place your fader just before the "jump" in volume and turn the knob clockwise, you should hear the volume increase while the fader stayed in the same place. This is the curve flattening out and making the ˝slow climb˝ part increase in volume until it becomes the "quick rise" on the right (hard) side. If you visualise this shape ..........::: transforming into this shape ..:::::::::::: then somewhere along that transformation is approximately this shape ...---::: This is the method to find a linear curve on the Nuo 2.0

loww
04-12-2012, 12:58 PM
There is no noticeable change in the curve when moving the knob between 7 and 12 o'clock. There is a change between 12 and 5 o'clock.

I have used the method you described and found the best position is at the marker in the 3o'clock position. It's still not linear though. If I move it 1mm up it goes .............:::, one mm down it goes ...::::::::::::. It's bizarre!

Phi
04-12-2012, 01:21 PM
That IS totally bizarre. Did you get this mixer new?

I also found a decent curve around the 2-3 o'clock position.

Will do some research and be back later

loww
04-12-2012, 03:03 PM
No, it was used. I thought this was a normal problem with the Nuo 2 though? I've been using the rotary fader mod recently anyway, it lowers the sound quality but I don't mind that at home.