PDA

View Full Version : Tech problems! Total newbie, be gentle!

66Girl
09-27-2015, 06:04 PM
Hi, OK, last night-our 30 year High School reunion. On a thumbdrive, I saved tons of Youtube videos I downloaded, as it was an 80's MTV video themed night. What videos didn't have good audio, I would download an MP3 file and sinc it up in my Pinnacle editing program. It is all I have, on a total budget. Spent like 6 months after work dong this, perfecting it, then last night came. I did test the videos out 3 months ago at this place where they have tons of DJ equip, Mackie speakers, nice boards, etc. The owner said it sounds good, so OK! Started the show at 4, sound was fine til about 4 hours later, one of the speakers got static and a few people complained! Seems after that I lost bass. Checked my computers sound equalizer?? Has three levels and the middle one didn't show anything. I just think the club's sound system and something in my computer/software happened. WTF??@!@!$#$ I spent months on this event, again, using the Pinnacle movie/editing software, having divided 8.5 hours of videos into 4 increments, like 2 hours each, adjusting levels before doing a final MP4 file, I just couldn't understand why it went blotto! Embarrising! We had to hook up someone's I[phone with MP3's on it to save the night! People were VERY VERY Understanding and praised me for the music! I have done other venues before, but using a record player hooked up to a tuner and two large speakers, people loved it even though I was playing old 45's from the 50's and 60's. I want to do this part time, as I really do love music, watching people have a good time and it keeps me on my toes! I need help! Any good beginner DJ software programs out there for PC? Running Windows 7, will up grade to Windows 10 soon. HELP! r

KLH
09-27-2015, 06:12 PM
Welcome to DJF.

The experience highlighted above will repeat and repeat until you commit to saving to buy legal and licensed software and music. If you are ready to begin this adventure legally, then check out my signature and read the Beginner's MEGA Thread (which links to many relevant topics).

If you're not willing to "go legit", then nobody on DJF will help as we have all committed to being legal throughout.

Good luck.

66Girl
09-27-2015, 08:58 PM
OF course I want to do this LEGALLY! People who know me say I am a saint when it comes to following the laws. How do I get LEGAL videos then? Audio is easy.

ssandoval83
10-10-2015, 01:38 PM
OF course I want to do this LEGALLY! People who know me say I am a saint when it comes to following the laws. How do I get LEGAL videos then? Audio is easy.

Virtual DJ has a feature called content unlimited. it has Audio, video, and karaoke. no need to sync up audio and video. also places like Itunes and Google play sell music Videos.

The biggest "no no" in DJing is pirating music, that includes downloading youtube videos. the second is stealing. never steal anything. (thats common sense)

mitchiemasha
10-11-2015, 02:48 AM
You do realise playing youtube videos as you did is illegal. Not so much a saint!

I recommend Virtual DJ but it sounds like you hit a technical hitch. Being able to solve these on the fly, quickly or mainly preventing them, is probably 1 of the main parts of being a DJ, especially mobile! Some one somewhere pressed the wrong button. VDJ has lots of buttons.

Manu
10-11-2015, 06:25 AM
A bad craftsman always blame the tools. And ripping videos off of youtube, don't get me started. There are tons of threads pinned everywhere about which or what software.

Lol at downloading compressed videos then compressing them again, then going to the gig without any sort of backup. Or showing up with a receiver and a pair of whatever speakers, do you charge people for that.

Puregroove
10-11-2015, 10:50 AM
I have done other venues before, but using a record player hooked up to a tuner and two large speakers, people loved it even though I was playing old 45's from the 50's and 60's.

It was probably because you were playing records from the 50s and 60s, not 'even though'.

TIMMBO
10-11-2015, 03:06 PM
Point one

Think everyone has got the point across about youtube and downloading

I think the fact the millions of people do it (I'm not condoning it ) that they come a little oblivious or even realise they are actually doing wrong

Secondly I believe the 50's music was played once the original music stopped playing.

All I can say is first decide on what you want to achieve in the world of DJing

Get a budget and then look at the relevant dj gear you can afford.

Any questions then fire away or do a search on here m

Good luck

navydiver
10-11-2015, 06:58 PM

What Country is Salinas in? If Canada or Europe I would highly recommend Xtendamix as it is the best in the business for music videos. Not yet in the USA but their loss, our gain....
Moderator is correct, doing it legally is the only way to go for professional purposes. I will also state that often times there are tunes out there that do not have official vids but there is open source Video content that you can match to songs either on the fly or in advance to make your events that much better. Some open source stuff is available for download on YouTube or other video hosting sites. I use Virtual DJ as the program of (my) choice for this capability. I believe you had some technical issues with inferir gear that you were unable to troubleshoot on the fly if you are sure all the vids you made worked in advance. This is why we practice practice practice with the gear we will use for our performances. It is why you always hear DJs saying Practice and Enjoy on YouTube posts and reviews....
Stick with it and it will come together properly....