PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting UK Bass battle: Subprime vs DJWhoQE

JonAvalon
04-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Mix 1 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/whoqe-vs-subprimebattle-1.mp3)

Mix 2 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/whoqe-vs-subprimebattle-2.mp3)

Rules:
No sync
Play whatever music you think is appropriate.
Electro house and drum and bass are not appropriate
30 minutes.

DJWhoQE
04-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Well, here we go! May the best (not the most British!) DJ win.

Your mix was awesome -- a bit better than mine, I think -- so I'm gonna vote for it after there are a few more votes. Wouldn't want to give away whose is which, would we? ;)

Mr Rupee
04-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Good stuff there guys.

Mix 1 - Really feeling the first track and the mixing was on point. Generally liked your tracks (apart from the one after Switch & Andrea Martin) Top stuff overall.

Mix 2 - Went in hard from the off. Mixing was clean and track selection was good, even though I wasn't familiar with some of them. Liked how the mix got a bit deeper towards the end. Good stuff.

Man, this is really tight as I enjoyed both mixes. Mix 1 just edges it.

Subprime
04-03-2012, 08:02 AM
Goddamn WhoQE I will BRITISH THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF YOU.

DJWhoQE
04-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Goddamn WhoQE I will BRITISH THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF YOU.
Signature rep as soon as I "spread it around." :lol:

evil-c
04-03-2012, 02:07 PM
shouts to my boy subprime, though i have to say both mixes were f**kin quality !!!

DJWhoQE
04-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks evil-c! Just a couple things, though...

1) No names yet: just say which mix (Mix 1 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/whoqe-vs-subprimebattle-1.mp3) or Mix 2 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/whoqe-vs-subprimebattle-2.mp3)) you liked better. This keeps the process free of bias. Once voting is all over and done with you can shout to specific people as much as you want. :P

2) For your vote to count, you must vote in the poll (at top) for which mix you think is best -- as well as post your impressions. Again, no using names: only "Mix 1" or "Mix 2."

Subprime
04-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Sup Mr C.

quinnygoth
04-03-2012, 06:02 PM
I'll check these tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

quinnygoth
04-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Both mixes lacked direction. I enjoy highs and lows when listening to mixes.

Mix 1; tight mixing and over all nice track selection. There were too many cheesy ones in there for me though. I hate that auto tuned Bashment shit.
Mix 2; mixing could do with a bit of tightening but over all good. Nice track selection too.

Mix 2 gets my vote.

DJWhoQE
04-05-2012, 01:40 PM
C'mon, peeps! More votes! :argh:

mantis
04-07-2012, 10:05 AM
ill vote soon. im having trouble downloading it. any suggestions? i was streaming it from the site but its not good.

DJWhoQE
04-07-2012, 01:30 PM
ill vote soon. im having trouble downloading it. any suggestions? i was streaming it from the site but its not good.
Always been working fine for me... :shrug:

Subprime
04-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Try right click and save as straight from the op of this thread.

Original
04-07-2012, 10:28 PM
I'm only 8 minutes through mix 2 but I feel that mix 2 is a clear winning. Both mixes are mixed well, it all comes down to tracks. I feel that mix 2 has a better "UK bass" sound than mix 1. Not to be an ass to mix 1 but it was a little too mellow for the genre... the tunes just weren't bumping and I actually skipped a section of the mix. That irritating song with the vocals... ugh.

Mix 2 is bumping UK Bass and gets my vote.

Subprime
04-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks for voting, I'll rep you when it will let me.

DJ Levi Gates
04-09-2012, 12:37 AM
It was close for me, both were good mixes. Ultimately, it came down for song selection for me.

Mix 1 - I actually liked the more mellow stuff you started with, which someone said they had to skip past. I also liked the overall variety of sounds. However, that autotuned vocal track beginning around 15:20 was pretty hard for me to listen to.

Mix 2 - Great variety as well, some of the more aggressive tunes had me worried in the beginning, but they complimented the more soulful tunes nicely.

I voted for Mix 2.

mix4fix
04-09-2012, 01:46 AM
Voted for mix #2.

DJWhoQE
04-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Voted for mix #2.
Thanks for voting, but I'm only giving out rep to those who critique. ;)

mix4fix
04-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks for voting, but I'm only giving out rep to those who critique. ;)

Why can't we just vote for the one we like better?

Why does it have to be work to enjoy a mix?

DJWhoQE
04-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Why can't we just vote for the one we like better?

Why does it have to be work to enjoy a mix?
Oh, your vote counts. I just don't rep unless actual feedback is given. Regardless of which mix is mine, how can I be sure that you've actually listened to the mixes, unless you critique them? Nothing personal.

hoff
04-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Mix 1: it's definitely smooth, loved the start, really eased into the mix. the autotuned reggae at 16min was a bit of a pain to get thru, the track after was redeeming. overall a quality mix but more of an ambient chill feel..

Mix 2: UK bass written all over it. loved the pounding claps right off the bat. gets meaty as it goes along.

since this is a 'UK bass battle' i gotta go with #2. both are great mixes tho

Ocie
04-09-2012, 08:14 PM
I've been meaning to listening to these but haven't yet. I'll get around to it after this paper and the million other things I need to do for school :(

manoaboi
04-11-2012, 11:39 AM
checkin this one out while I eat an ENGLISH muffin (because wtf do you a-holes call the other type of muffins then?)

manoaboi
04-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Mix one:

Clean mixing so far. Liked the opener, and really like this Kingdom track.
Of course you added the quintessential Bashmore track :) I like the mix of sounds so far.
Smooth mix at 18:33 - Was wondering how you were going to mix out of that track, and you did it real smooth-like.
Damnnnnnn track at 24:38 is hawt
Really liked the track selection, and mixing was tres smooth – although almost a little too smooth...sounded like maybe sync of some sort, which I guess isn’t against the rules anyway so I won’t dock ya. In any case, your track selection kept my attention, and was exciting the whole way through. Mix two you best be bringin it…
Note: After reading other’s comments – I thought the few cheesy tracks of mix one fit in there well – I took it as an ironic, fun addition to the mix.

Mix Two

Opening track = BIG – Went against my better judgement and put both earbuds in at work for this one :eek:
So far – clean(ish) mixing, and I see you stuck with a more uniform interpretation of the genre in your track selection.
Oh shit like that drum part at 15:07, and nice to hear that Pearson Sound track.
In all the mixing was also well done, and liked your track selection as well (Lotta great tracks I haven’t heard). It was definitely more aligned in one type of sound which I think made the whole mix come together.

In all, mix one’s was more eclectic and interesting while mix two had more proper tracks with a universal vibe throughout.

As I personally can appreciate a bit of cheese in a mix and felt the mix kept it fun and interesting, I just barely voted Mix 1. GREAT job the both of you. Rep’d!

mantis
04-12-2012, 08:57 AM
mix one: I liked to over all ambient feel of this mix. Some tracks i didnt like. The last two tracks were awesome - loved them. Mixing was very smooth. Well planned mix.

Mix two: Like many others, I loved the tracks in this mix more. I enjoyed almost all of the tracks and I think the mixing was tight enough for me to vote for this track.

Just spent an hour listening to these tracks dont have too much more time posting review.

mantis
04-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Oh, your vote counts. I just don't rep unless actual feedback is given. Regardless of which mix is mine, how can I be sure that you've actually listened to the mixes, unless you critique them? Nothing personal.

im sorry man but thats a little silly. The person took an hour of his time to listen to your track and to vote, it just decent of you to show him respect in return. Regardless of the critique he/she gives, or if he gives critique or not. He made an effort (albeit a small one) to download and listen to your tracks, and you should respect him and 'reward' him for that. It took me a few days and a few tries to download these tracks (i think the problem with with my pc) but eventually i got them both and listened to them both.

Sad thing is, only after i listened to your track, I read your comment to mix4fix. If i read it before i made the effort of downloading these mixes, I would not even have bothered to download it at all. Its normal for people to expect some kind of reward for getting involved, and you should respect that.

Now that I know what your attitude is about these things, I will surely never again even open a battle or mix submission where you are involved in, as I think there is no motivation for me to do so. If you are going to publicly admit that you dont respect my time (unless I leave feedback), im not even going to bother anymore.

Ocie
04-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Now that I've had some time to listen to both of these:

Mix one: Really liked your opening track. The mix progressed well for my liking. Once I hit the 15 minute mark, I knew whose mix I was listening to :P . Plus, you dropped Zombies For Money :slayer: The mixing was smooth too, very nice.

Mix two: That track at 14:25 was killer. Same with the one at 20:30. The mix lost the energy I was feeling though after this point.

The mixing was great on both parts, so no complaints on that part. But mix one had the track selection that did it for me. Good job on both sides.

DJWhoQE
04-12-2012, 12:57 PM
im sorry man but thats a little silly. The person took an hour of his time to listen to your track and to vote, it just decent of you to show him respect in return. Regardless of the critique he/she gives, or if he gives critique or not. He made an effort (albeit a small one) to download and listen to your tracks, and you should respect him and 'reward' him for that. It took me a few days and a few tries to download these tracks (i think the problem with with my pc) but eventually i got them both and listened to them both.

Sad thing is, only after i listened to your track, I read your comment to mix4fix. If i read it before i made the effort of downloading these mixes, I would not even have bothered to download it at all. Its normal for people to expect some kind of reward for getting involved, and you should respect that.
How should I know how much time he took to listen to both mixes? Hell, how do I know that he took any time? That's exactly the reason that you're supposed to put up a critique as well as vote in the poll: to help make sure that the best mix actually wins, not just the one whose owner can rally up the most simple votes. The mixes are anonymized by that same coin. It also prevents would-be karma whores from thoughtlessly casting a vote just to gain reputation.

Now, I'm not saying mix4fix is just a sheep or a karma whore. But they'd be writing five-word, seven-syllable, thirteen-character sentences with nary an insight, as well (if that). And if I wouldn't give rep to their unhelpful responses, why should I give it to anyone who doesn't distinguish himself from them?

Now that I know what your attitude is about these things, I will surely never again even open a battle or mix submission where you are involved in, as I think there is no motivation for me to do so. If you are going to publicly admit that you dont respect my time (unless I leave feedback), im not even going to bother anymore.
If your main motivation for entering a battle or mix submission thread is the imaginary reputation points you'll receive for replying in it, and not:

A) finding an enjoyable new mix full of good music to listen to;

B) helping your fellow DJ hone the skills of his craft;

and/or C) making sure the best DJ gets his due...

... then you're right. I don't respect your "time," and I don't really care what you think. And that's regardless of whether you voted for me or not. :shrug:

manoaboi
04-12-2012, 06:40 PM

To echo WhoQE: mantis its really about making sure there are as few ghost voters and rep hunters as possible, and keeping the battle forum constructive and worthwhile for those who want to improve and challenge themselves. For example: your response, while shorter than others, was perfectly fine - you elaborated on what you liked and disliked, and stated why you voted the way you did. That is worth SO much more than just a vote for those in the battle. I try to make short notes while I listen in the reply box along the way; when something catches my ear, I note it. This way by the time the mixes are both done, I already have pretty much the whole response about what I liked in each mix done, and I just need to write a sentence or two of who I voted for and why.

mantis
04-13-2012, 12:13 AM
sure that makes sense, but as I said, i always listen to all the mixes while doing my work. I work 12 hours a day 6 days a week (thats my professional job) then I dj at night for one or two hours a night. My time is limited. I make time to download and listen to tracks - not for rep but because i actually want to stay on top of the industry (for one) and I also learn from other (second reason) and I like to help others too (third reason - amongst others).

my replies are short as i really have no time. anyway... no time again, off to my day job- real life is calling.

Ness
04-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Not a major fan of the genres appearing in either mix, but mix 2 gets my vote; had more of a UK feel I thought, especially with the lack of vocals, which flowed pretty well

Subprime
04-14-2012, 10:48 AM
One day left!

DJWhoQE
04-14-2012, 01:33 PM
One day left!:eek3dance:

Subprime
04-15-2012, 11:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpEWpK_Dl7M&t=2m44s

You don got Britished, Mr Ameripants.

DJWhoQE
04-15-2012, 02:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpEWpK_Dl7M&t=2m44s

You don got Britished, Mr Ameripants.
:lol:

Alright, you win this round. But this ain't over. I'll be back to prove that 'Merica does it better.

For anyone who's curious, my tracklist:

"Olivia (MAO Remix)" - Maribou State
"SFX (Original Mix)" - Kingdom [dirtybird]
"Battle For Middle You (Original Mix)" - Julio Bashmore [PMR Music]
"3rd Soul (Original Mix)" - Jim-E Stack [Good Years]
"I Still Love You (Original Mix)" - Switch, Andrea Martin [Dubsided]
"Half On A Baby (Dubbel Dutch Remix)" - Vybz Kartel [Mixpak] <- This is the track y'all hated. :teef:
"Airway (Digital Exclusive)" - Blackwax [Tube10 Recordings]
"Kolkata (Sticky Version)" - Zombies For Money [Trouble & Bass]
"Just E (Breach Remix)" - DJ Cra$y [dirtybird]
"Laquisha (Original Mix)" - French Fries [Youngunz]
"Let You No (Original Mix)" - Kingdom [Night Slugs]

Subprime
04-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Here is ma tracklist. I do artist first, because I am cool.

Pearson Sound - Footloose [Pearson Sound]
Jam CIty - The Courts (12" Mix) [Night Slugs]
Pangaea - Fatalist [Hemlock]
Seiji - Face Up [Seiji]
Kodiak - Spreo Superbus [Numbers]
Boddika - Syn Chron [Naked Lunch]
SBTRKT - Wildfire (Objekt Tool Mix) [Young Turks]
Pearson Sound - Stifle [Hessle]
Troy Gunner - Dancing In The Leaves [Mindset]
Martyn - Eden St [3024]
Hackman - Agree to Disagree [PTN]

savageg
04-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Know I'm late to the show but, really liked both mixes. Had about 80% of the tracks before got the other 20% after (thx for the track lists) Nice to have a dif perspective as far as mixing styles. Great job guys! If it matters was a photo finish with #2 first by a hair.

Prob put both mixes into the listening rotation.

mantis
04-15-2012, 11:47 PM
yeah good job both of you guys!!

DJWhoQE
04-16-2012, 02:03 AM
Thanks y'all! :D