PDA

View Full Version : Whats the chances? I made a suggestion to a major DJ supplier

fatcatdj
08-26-2015, 01:10 AM
Dear American Audio:

I know how innovative and creative your company is. I also notice that you sometimes do research with mobile/club dj's with ideas regarding product.

This request is for an old school design, yet still highly sought out even today. That's the shoe box power amp. MTX Soundcraftsmen made one twenty years ago. Ones still working today are on their last legs.

What I and others are looking for is a portable power amp that you can bring along as a spare or main. I'd really love to have a couple of them to easily transport with me on my gigs. 3-4 times a week lugging 19" rack mount cases get old!

I know what you're thinking: powered speakers.

Powered speakers are nice but most of the enclosures are made of plastic to save weight. They also get battered up, and become an eyesore at a wedding. Really ugly.

Also nobody likes running both an XLR and power cord to a speaker.Bluetooth speakers are in its infancy and Bluetooth offers low frequency response as well.

The solution for me, after using plastic powered speakers was to go back to passive speakers. I even bought 2 American Audio ELX power amps. However I hate 19" rack mount hardware. The 1980's are over. Its 2015, how about a half rack shoebox sized amp thats 200WPC @8 ohms like the old MTX? Or maybe 100 or a 180WPC @ 8ohms?

Also Speakon outs and XLR inputs, built in limiter, maybe blue LEDS that you can see through the front grill, 2 volume controls, clipping LEDs and one good muffin fan for the transformer.

However, a roadworthy case should also be designed as well. Possibly like the Gator ABS or plastic ones with a molded in handle with lids and latches for the front and rear.

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing it at Namm.
Sincerely
Fatcatdj

Incognito
08-26-2015, 06:17 AM
Doubt it, the clientele that this would suit would be too small. Is it a doable design? Sure & it can still have a ton of power without thermal issues & weigh next to nothing but you're going to want processing & processors are 19" rack mountable so it would make no sense sense having a rack for this specialized amp then a rack for your processing. If you want a spare amp there are plenty capable rack mount amps that weigh next to nothing already, just be sure to buy a amp rack that has an extra two rack spaces & you're set. The good thing is your amp is already mounted in the rack with power, ready to go with only needing to re-route the signal cable should you need to use it as a spare on the fly.

I used to own a couple of those shoebox amps from Soundcraftsmen back in the day they were one of my first pro-grade (pro-sumer by todays standandards) amps actually. They used to be decent amps for the time but transporting them separate from the main racks was a pain, I can't remember if Soundcraftsmen sold it as an accessory or if it was something I built out of necessity but I had a bracket that I was able to use to mount a pair of them to make them rackmountable. However by doing this it got to the point where I decided I may as well just get regular amps since the bracket was taking a lot of strain trying to hold these amps in place.

These are the type of amps I used to own. (not the actual ones, this is just an image I found online) I owned both this version shown which is the soundcraftsmen pm860 but I also owned the Soundcraftsmen PCR800 amps as well.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii95/generalkorrd/amps-1.jpg

***EDIT***
Found a photo online with a form of the bracket I mentioned (though mines held two of the shoebox amps in place) so I guess it was an official bracket & not some homebrew creation I slapped together back in the day.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAzWDE2MDA=/z/qdsAAOSw-vlVk~sb/$_57.JPG

Also FYI the here is an Ebay listing of the amp I grabbed the photo from with one of these amps for sale http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soundcraftsmen-PCR800-Stereo-Power-Amplifier-200W-per-channel-Vintage-Rack-Mt-/281738138583?hash=item4198e6d3d7 not the more powerful of the models but these aren't as commonly found on sale as they were a few years ago.

Bill Fitzmaurice
08-26-2015, 06:51 AM
American Audio won't develop any product, because they have no R&D facility. They're importers who put their name on sourced goods. What you're looking for may already exist. Have a look here, it's the same source that American Audio would use:
http://www.alibaba.com/products/F0/audio_equipment/CID527--CN.html?spm=a2700.7724858.53.2.c6KrOW

light-o-matic
08-26-2015, 09:20 AM
Soundcraftsmen made some nice gear, I still have one of their tuners and used to have an EQ.

But yea I agree with Mr. Incognito.. as annoying and space consuming as it is to carry a rack when all you need is one thing.. it is rare that you need just one thing.. most passive systems are not just two channels, they are usually at least four channels and processing, then you'll need a power strip of some sort.. so throw that in the rack. And then, mobile DJ's usually have wireless mics.. so throw that in the rack.... And as you point out, even if you really really just need the amp and nothing else, you still need a case to protect that amp.

But yea there are times in my life I have wanted what you want.. a simple and light amp for small gigs or for a friendly house party or something.. but since I rarely do without a sub or processing I would want one with three channels and a simple processor built in :)

Anyway even though ADJ probably won't make it.. Vestax did.. not too many years ago.. the VDA-1000. Not sold anymore but you might possibly be able to pick one up somewhere old stock or used. And it's more than twice the power of the soundcraftsmen.

Ahh here's one on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vestax-VDA-1000-Digital-Power-Amplifier-DJ-vda1000-amp-OPEN-BOX-/351205992428?hash=item51c58227ec

conanski
08-26-2015, 06:43 PM
I know what you're thinking: powered speakers.

Powered speakers are nice but most of the enclosures are made of plastic to save weight. They also get battered up, and become an eyesore at a wedding. Really ugly.

Fatcat.. you need to get out more. Ever heard of speaker covers? Amazing devices.. they keep speakers looking factory fresh and dust free.

fatcatdj
08-27-2015, 03:31 AM
Thanks all!!! That is why this site is so important and probably the best in the world. Its chock full of real world dj's that know what they're talking about so thanks everyone for your input.

>>Thanks Incognito for the pics. I remember a wooden gray carpet single case that was available. Those are prob worn out and shredded by now. They had a strap handle and 2 lids that had snaps.

>>Thanks Bill. You are right I think American Audio finds a supplier, gives them their special specs and they produce them for American Dj. However they do boast that they 'developed' their own products as well.

>>Thanks Light-O-Matic. I think I may bid on that Vestax. Bad thing is that theyre out of business. LOL

>>>Conanski thanks for the cover tips. But for me it was too late with my JBL's and the EV's that I pretty much made look like sh*t. I don't like baby'ing things
so that's why I went back to black carpeted old school boxes.

The reason for the interest on a small amp>>>I do karaoke 3 times a week. I need to get in and the hell out ASAP. I bring 2 15x2 speakers, no subs or anything like that. The EQ is pretty much the 3 treb/mid/bass on the mixer, no outboard sound shaping. The mics are in a plastic shoebox, I use small video camera UHF types that are not dual diversity.

My idea is to transport an amp that takes a small footprint. Unfortunately as you guys said, the 19" rack Gator 2 space rack is good---it holds the 3 prong power cord and a short Speakon cable. Bad thing its 19" wide and 2 rack spaces. I'd like something that can sit on the passenger floor of my Toyota truck, not in the backseat or back bed part. That Vestax doesn't have a case so I may have to fabricate some sort of case so it wont get screwed up.

Thanks again my friends, you guys rock like always!:)

fatcatdj
08-27-2015, 03:57 AM
OK FORGET THE VESTAX>>>>
Don't let the specifications fool you - this amp only pushes about 100w RMS x 2 at 8 ohms... EIAJ ratings are pretty weak, and measuring output with 1% THD is the equivalent of rating the top speed of a Ford Focus right before the doors break off.

This amp would be great for a pair of studio monitors, or for a small room at a lounge... But by no means is this the type of thing you want to do a serious party with - the amp will be crying "uncle" in no time at all if you really try to push it.

Found this review on PSSL. The good reviews were on Amazon from bedroom dj's, enthusiasts. LOL I thought it could do both karaoke and parties without sweating

Evil Steve
08-27-2015, 05:01 AM
You might be able to find an old Adcom GFA1 or GFA1A.
I used one for years when I was starting out for many of the reasons you mentioned.
I made modifications to the amp so it had 1/4" inputs and binding post outputs.
It would be tight, but if you're handy (or know someone who is), you could possibly modify to speakon and xlr. Inputs would not be balanced
I also installed a flexible strap handle on the top cover so I could carry it easily. When I wasn't carrying it, the handle would lie flat.
When I moved to rackmount, I sold it. Sometimes I regret that I did that, but it's nice to have the space in my storage area.
That amp was 200 watts, @8ohms.