PDA

View Full Version : Crown XLS 402 in Fault Mode

HBL Entertainment
08-23-2015, 05:26 PM
I loaned out my amp to a buddy and he said he was playing music when the amp just cut out.

Now, every time you try turn it on, the power light and two red fault lights come on for a second and then go out, even with the power button still engaged. The amp is out of warranty I believe.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

conanski
08-23-2015, 08:57 PM
There is something wrong inside it obviously.. not much you can do but send it to a repair shop, ask for an estimate and then decide if it's worth it when compared to the cost of a new replacement.

djscrizzle
09-23-2015, 12:42 PM
I'd pop it open and look for any "gimmes" like a loose inter-board wiring connector, or a part that's been utterly destroyed. Beyond that, it's either off to the work bench if you have experience in electronics/troubleshooting, or to the repair techs if ya don't.

That said, It probably needs to be cleaned anyway, so go forth, but watch out for the PSU rail caps, as they'll hold a charge from being powered up. Most amps in this range use between +/- 50 and 80VDC on the rails, so be careful with that.

Should you be seeking a replacement, look at QSC's GX line, or Crown's newer XLS DriveCore series. Both are solid options to replace that decade-old XLS402. I have used QSC GX amps before, and been pleased with their weight, power output, and thermal characteristics.