PDA

View Full Version : Traktor Pro 2.5

djpenguin
04-02-2012, 01:36 PM
http://djworx.com/traktor-pro-2-5-one-version-to-rule-them-all/

Apparently NI have taken a big step towards unifying and simplifying their software offerings. I think it's pretty cool that they're offering $50 upgrades from all the older versions of Traktor.

Andrew B
04-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Good move by NI.

B.Frank
04-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Not bad.

DJNR
04-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Not bad.

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

Anyways, I'm glad that they are implementing some sort of standard in software, because all the different versions was getting damn confusing. I am not really impressed with what is going to be released in 2.5 as it doesn't really apply to me much, but I am happy to see that they are making this move.

login
04-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Now the software cost 89 USD and the Audio 2 99 at some stores, which makes the interface or the software free.

sneakyp
04-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Just got this through in an email...

As a DUO 2 software user, we have great news for you: We’re upgrading your DUO 2 software into a full version of TRAKTOR PRO 2, or TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO 2 if you’re a scratch user, for free! You’ll also get an additional free TRAKTOR PRO 2.5 update with Remix Decks™, when it’s released on May 30th.

SWEEEET!

DJNR
04-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Congratulations! :tup:

Era 7
04-02-2012, 04:34 PM
good thing for all traktor users i guess. the variety of version really was unnecessary since it's main competitor got by with only two version, a DVS and a controller version.

VjQue
04-02-2012, 04:53 PM
that serato video back ground is crazy. lol

DjAaron
04-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Very nice! can't wait for 2.5 to come out to see what the major differences will be

Cryder
04-03-2012, 12:56 AM
So if I understand this right there is no longer any difference between Traktor Pro and Traktor Scratch Pro? If that's no the case is there an upgrade fee involved for that?

KLH
04-03-2012, 01:54 AM
So if I understand this right there is no longer any difference between Traktor Pro and Traktor Scratch Pro? If that's no the case is there an upgrade fee involved for that?
I don't think that this understanding is correct. There is still a Pro and Scratch Pro; LE and Duo are disappearing.

In other words, the 2 deck versions of traktor are disappearing.

-KLH

mostapha
04-03-2012, 02:21 AM
And a full DVS with a 3 deck/ stereo pair sound card NIB is 339 list. That's some serious shit.

I haven't seen any details, but someone on aldjf said something about a new gridding system...any details?

I don't think it could really make me switch back at this point, but I'm curious.

DjAaron
04-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Here is what they say on the BPM and gridding

Rewritten tempo detection for improved accuracy, developed from analysing thousands of tracks from various genres
New “downbeat” auto-detection improves auto-beat-gridding and phase recognition
Convenient analysis options when importing files to your collection - set the tempo range by BPM
Much improved BPM detection on tracks with variable tempo, (such as “live” drummer genres) - now detects average BPM
Rewritten Tempo-Tap – instant and simple realignment anytime your tracks drifts away from the grid over time
Manually adjusted grids, (and all BPM-locked tracks) keep their position and tempo from previous versions

Ashley Caveney
04-03-2012, 09:42 AM
good move it will be nice to see what changes they've made to the software its self :)

mrkleen
04-03-2012, 09:56 AM
So, roll out in May - buggy till July - patches by August. OK.....fall 2012 it is :)

mostapha
04-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Here is what they say on the BPM and gridding…<marketing copy>

Yeah…that's what I meant. I guess I should have said "I haven't read anything informative about it."

Marketing copy is all lies. The only piece of information in there that's the least bit relevant is that live drummer -> average BPM, which means it still doesn't have a flexible grid. I guess the thing about re-vamp'd tap is cool, but that just bring it in line with SSL…and stuff that makes sense. It's probably good, but if it still sucks at figuring out tempos, then what's the point?

mrkleen
04-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Yeah…that's what I meant. I guess I should have said "I haven't read anything informative about it."

Marketing copy is all lies. The only piece of information in there that's the least bit relevant is that live drummer -> average BPM, which means it still doesn't have a flexible grid. I guess the thing about re-vamp'd tap is cool, but that just bring it in line with SSL…and stuff that makes sense. It's probably good, but if it still sucks at figuring out tempos, then what's the point?

It takes exactly 5 seconds to readjust a BPM in Traktor. So what is your point?

mostapha
04-03-2012, 01:02 PM
It's more annoying than a pitch fader and not worth doing.

mrkleen
04-03-2012, 01:57 PM
It's more annoying than a pitch fader and not worth doing.

If you are developing deeply creative sets using 3 decks and 4 or 8 loops / samples - it most certainly is worth doing.

mostapha
04-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Not compared to just doing it in Live.

punky
04-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Nice. I look forward to the new remix decks, but not having to rethink all. my. damn. mappings. to accommodate it.

DJNR
04-03-2012, 03:14 PM

I agree with this.

mrkleen
04-03-2012, 04:33 PM

No way that Live is even close to Traktor in terms of creative, on the fly control. Live is a studio application that some use to perform. Traktor is a pure DJ performance tool.

I can spin on Turntables and work in 3 decks - 4 loops - samples - effects all locked tight. Live isnt in the same ball park.

mostapha
04-03-2012, 04:38 PM
I disagree. Having used each for longer than a year, Traktor is just not in the same league as Live. You have to think about it differently, but you can just plain do more in Live.

contra
04-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Well, I just bought Traktor Pro 2 for $89, can't wait for 2.5!!! Maybe now I can sell my Torq Connectiv and get with the times.

KLH
04-03-2012, 07:13 PM
You will need an interface. You might as well keep the Conectiv...

-KLH

KLH
04-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Traktor is just not in the same league as Live. You have to think about it differently, but you can just plain do more in Live.
+1. Warping/flexible beat-grids is the holy grail enabler. With it, ANYTHING can be synced to/with it.

I can't believe that NI would release a remixing tool that can't quantize tempos the way DAWs can... especially since ITCH, Torq, and Live can.

Sad really.

-KLH

Cryder
04-03-2012, 10:12 PM
I don't think that this understanding is correct. There is still a Pro and Scratch Pro; LE and Duo are disappearing.

In other words, the 2 deck versions of traktor are disappearing.

-KLH

Got it. Makes sense.

mrkleen
04-03-2012, 11:12 PM
I disagree. Having used each for longer than a year, Traktor is just not in the same league as Live. You have to think about it differently, but you can just plain do more in Live.

If I wanted to do a live PA....maybe. But Ableton is NOT a DJing program, and the creators were not DJs...and you can tell.

Traktor give you the ability to bounce around from mixing on vinyl and CDs - to getting a step closer to Ableton type of loops and samples - and back. You can mix for an hour on our decks...drop a more programmed set using 8 decks and effects, and then later jump back to flipping tracks on your turntables.

Much more fun than staring at a bunch of little clips all night long...and much more intuitive than Live.

As for flexible warping....I do complex tracks in Ableton and then bring them back into Traktor....best of both worlds.

HarryK
04-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Guys, anyone here tried to upgrade from an LE version which came with their audio interfaces to Pro? I bought an Audio 2 todayh, which came with an LE version, I registered both the I/O and the software but as of yet, I have not received my serial number to go Pro...

mostapha
04-11-2012, 06:19 PM
If I wanted to do a live PA....maybe. But Ableton is NOT a DJing program, and the creators were not DJs...and you can tell.

Traktor give you the ability to bounce around from mixing on vinyl and CDs - to getting a step closer to Ableton type of loops and samples - and back. You can mix for an hour on our decks...drop a more programmed set using 8 decks and effects, and then later jump back to flipping tracks on your turntables.

Much more fun than staring at a bunch of little clips all night long...and much more intuitive than Live.

As for flexible warping....I do complex tracks in Ableton and then bring them back into Traktor....best of both worlds.

The interaction isn't the same, but Live is perfectly capable of playing full tracks. You can't do it with vinyl/cd control, and you have to think about things differently……but as far as what comes out of the speakers, everything that's possible with Traktor (apart from scratching) is also possible with Live……and Live can do more.

I think that's basically the definition of more powerful.

l0ckd0wn
04-12-2012, 03:31 PM

I agree with this.

I disagree entirely. I adjust beatgrids on the fly all the time. I was playing downtempo, ambient and trip-hop last night, tracks I haven't touched in months, possibly over a year, and I had to make some adjustments. Big whoop.

Prepping your tracks so the grids are perfect is just common sense. Simply put, where Ableton Live has warping, Traktor has the beatgrid. You would warp your tracks prior to playing them live, but that doesn't mean they are perfect. If you need to adjust live it's quick and easy.

The interaction isn't the same, but Live is perfectly capable of playing full tracks. You can't do it with vinyl/cd control, and you have to think about things differently……but as far as what comes out of the speakers, everything that's possible with Traktor (apart from scratching) is also possible with Live……and Live can do more.

I think that's basically the definition of more powerful.

And Ableton Live for DJing is just plain not intuitive and much more work to setup. Really, I don't understand what difference it makes because it just seems like you are trying to say, "Why do you use Traktor to perform? Abelton Live is just better." In reality, your opinion may mean nothing to another person, like in this case I don't see any value in what you are saying because you are just proclaiming that a product is better. I think Traktor is better for DJing, than everything else available including Ableton Live and Serato. I cannot be right, I can only have my opinion, so I don't see why you are belittling people over a software choice.

As for more powerful, agreed. But that is what you get when you port a DAW to have the same functionality as traditional DJing equipment. All in all it's a very unnatural feel compared to any DVS or controller based product whether ITCH/SSL, Traktor, VDJ, MixVibes, etc.

+1. Warping/flexible beat-grids is the holy grail enabler. With it, ANYTHING can be synced to/with it.

I can't believe that NI would release a remixing tool that can't quantize tempos the way DAWs can... especially since ITCH, Torq, and Live can.

Sad really.

-KLH

What do you mean KLH? The beatgrid is the same thing as warping.

KLH
04-12-2012, 08:23 PM
The beatgrid is the same thing as warping.
TP's beat grid isn't adjustable. If you want to "fix" a disco track with a slightly variable BPM, TP can't help you.

-KLH

ben mills
04-18-2012, 06:32 PM
So what would be the better tool to accompany 2.5, Kontrol X-1 or Maschine?

I had been set on the Kontrol X-1, but the more I read about Maschine, the more I like it.

I realize they are different products for different uses, but seems like Maschine can cross over and cover a lot of what the X1 does, and still has the production ability on the side. Also costs three times as much.

Any thoughts?

oliosky
04-18-2012, 06:36 PM
x1 is a far better option. Effect control would be a bit convaluted with maschine.

Synergy
04-18-2012, 06:45 PM
I'm using effect control with maschine and its boss. nothing wrong with it. perfect amount of knobs and everything!

DJNR
04-18-2012, 06:46 PM
perfect amount of knobs and everything!

Was just going to say. X1 takes up less space, but if you want more than that just get the Maschine.

Synergy
04-18-2012, 06:48 PM
So what would be the better tool to accompany 2.5, Kontrol X-1 or Maschine?

I had been set on the Kontrol X-1, but the more I read about Maschine, the more I like it.

I realize they are different products for different uses, but seems like Maschine can cross over and cover a lot of what the X1 does, and still has the production ability on the side. Also costs three times as much.

Any thoughts?

why limit yourself with the x1 when maschine can do what it can AND so much more?

DJNR
04-18-2012, 06:49 PM
why limit yourself with the x1 when maschine can do what it can AND so much more?

Space.

Synergy
04-18-2012, 06:55 PM
i see the space concern but if he was asking he probably has the room. I will say, I wasn't expecting Maschine to be so big, but it fits RIGHT beside my turntable and looks pretty sweet, i wanna get those little ends that go on it and color them or something. I haven't gotten into making beats with Maschine yet because I haven't had the time, I've messed around with it and it is pretty intuitive and can get u making some wicked shit within a few min, literally! I can't wait to use the sampler function and make some nice shit and slave it to traktor!

DJNR
04-18-2012, 06:56 PM
The other thing would be price. You get more with Maschine because obviously you pay for more.

l0ckd0wn
04-18-2012, 06:59 PM
The other thing would be price. You get more with Maschine because obviously you pay for more.

This. The Maschine is 6x the price of an X1.

Synergy
04-18-2012, 07:00 PM
but its 10x what an x1 can do lol

ben mills
04-18-2012, 07:12 PM
I don't use effects much - maybe I would if I had an X-1 or Maschine.

I am very interested in Maschine. How does it work for loop control?

Here is a question for X1 users and Maschine users.

I am a heavy loop user. I'll cue up a track, and set an 8 bar loop and beatmatch with the loop and come out of the loop pretty much whenever I want. Problem comes in that some tracks reset their counts - like coming out of a breakdown they will throw in an extra surprise bar or something along those lines...so it fucks up the phrasing and I have to adjust the loops.

How easy is it to adjust loop size with the Maschine and X-1? I imagine it's as easy as can be - just pressing one button. When I adjust a loop in the software, say from 8 bars to 1, it defaults to the first bar of the loop. With an X-1 or Maschine can you "shrink" the loop as it goes...without having to release the loop and then re-engage with a smaller loop? I'm envisioning using a knob to adjust loop length. Or a combination of knobs to adjust loop length and placement.

DJNR
04-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Adjusting the size with the X1 is super streamlined. It's as easy as pushing the button down on the size you want, and then turning left or right; smaller or larger respectively. The knob is an endless knob that spins either way.

Synergy
04-18-2012, 07:34 PM
well you can map any part of maschine in traktor like a controller. its simple really. so you can have a knob to adjust the size of the loop and have a button to turn on the loop effect. turning the know makes the loop reduce or grow. there are some mappings on traktor bible but i find it easier and more rewarding to map it yourself so you get what YOU want out of it :)

short answer, it is simple. and with different banks (pages) on machine, you can have TONS of different mappings on maschine!

DJNR
04-18-2012, 07:35 PM
There are also multiple banks on the X1.

oliosky
04-18-2012, 07:43 PM
the native mapping for the x1 and traktor pretty damn good. mapping maschine to just use with Traktor really doesn't make any sense to me. It doesn't do anything more than any other pad controller as far as i can see?

DJNR
04-18-2012, 07:54 PM
the native mapping for the x1 and traktor pretty damn good. mapping maschine to just use with Traktor really doesn't make any sense to me. It doesn't do anything more than any other pad controller as far as i can see?

Other than a greater number of combinations, you're right.

ben mills
04-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Can you move the loop while it is live? Say I reduce to a 1 bar loop while live...but want to move where the loop is. So say, before the bar runs out I click a notch on the knob and it moves forward one bar.

I imagine you can't go backwards in that manner.

oliosky
04-18-2012, 08:33 PM
sure you can.

ben mills
04-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Thanks. I figured you could - but never used the Kontrol X-1.

Maybe I should get both. I don't know.

Synergy
04-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Other than a greater number of combinations, you're right.

if you run maschine and traktor together there are some pretty amazing things you can do, actually.

here is a link with everything in it, x1 and maschine and traktor :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNi5qp4m1CI

here is just a little u can do with the knobs and such

http://youtu.be/wJ9HD7zw18s

and for looping, just an example

http://youtu.be/wUAq0ILBX4o

Can you move the loop while it is live? Say I reduce to a 1 bar loop while live...but want to move where the loop is. So say, before the bar runs out I click a notch on the knob and it moves forward one bar.

idk about moving where the loop is, maybe in a non quantized loop? idk.

idk why its doing that with my links...eek.

oliosky
04-18-2012, 10:10 PM
aren't we talking about just using traktor though? Not maschine and traktor software, because that is a different kettle of fish entirely.

Phi
04-19-2012, 01:06 AM

Yes, this is as easy as holding a shift button and turning a knob back and forth. And if you wanted this to be the regular function of the loop encoder, that wouldn't be hard to setup yourself.

You can move the loop on an X1 very easily, you simply hold the shift button and turn the loop encoder. Normally the loop encoder moves the loop out point a set number of beats backward and forward, but the shift layer is loaded with useful stuff like this.

mostapha
04-19-2012, 10:23 AM
So what would be the better tool to accompany 2.5, Kontrol X-1 or Maschine? X1. No question. I own Maschine and used to own 2 X1s. The only times I ever used my Maschine as a controller for Traktor was when I was stuck at my girlfriend's house for a weekend and specifically wanted to spin. Mapped up the laziest all-in-one mapping ever and had fun…but it was hardly ideal. I was glad to get back to my X1s.

I am very interested in Maschine. How does it work for loop control?Maschine doesn't do anything with Traktor. You have to figure out everything yourself. It's not laid out right for controlling Traktor. There's a lot of stuff missing. It's weird to get anything resembling feedback out of the LCDs. And it's a lot huger than the X1.

Everything you mentioned wanting to do with looping is included in the default mapping for the X1.

[When using Traktor, Maschine] doesn't do anything more than any other pad controller as far as i can see?Correct. I remember when I was seriously considering shopping for Maschine. I couldn't find anyone to answer a few specific questions. They were things I figured out in 5 minutes after I bought it and should have been easy for anyone who owned one to check, even if they didn't work that way.

After a week or so of having questions on DJF and DJTT, the only reply was someone (Andrew B, maybe…) saying "no one knows the answer to your question because most people buy it because they want to spend $600 on a Trigger Finger."

Maschine is brilliant for what it is. Until the new MPC series actually ships, it's about the only thing that does exactly what it does. But, there's no reason to buy it to control Traktor. If you want pad-style control…a Trigger finger is only marginally more limited and costs 1/6 as much. For Traktor, an X1 is more powerful because of the way it's laid out and the number of controls that are actually usable.

aren't we talking about just using traktor though? Not maschine and traktor software, because that is a different kettle of fish entirely.

That, on the other hand, is a lot of fun.

punky
04-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Yo, if you can get your hands on a Trigger Finger, I highly recommend it. It's low profile, has 16 presets (for the pads, knobs, and sliders), and is very light. One of the best things M-Audio ever made.

Andrew1207
04-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Have you considered Dicers? I use them with Traktor and it works PERFECTLY for my needs - cue points, loops, fx (which i use minimally). You can map anything to the buttons you want, so for loops you can have a set loop of any size, adjust loop size, move loop, etc

Andrew B
04-19-2012, 10:53 AM
After a week or so of having questions on DJF and DJTT, the only reply was someone (Andrew B, maybe…) saying "no one knows the answer to your question because most people buy it because they want to spend $600 on a Trigger Finger."

Probably me :lol:

punky
04-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Sounds like the kind of thing you would say. :)

Synergy
04-19-2012, 11:13 AM
X1. No question. I own Maschine and used to own 2 X1s. The only times I ever used my Maschine as a controller for Traktor was when I was stuck at my girlfriend's house for a weekend and specifically wanted to spin. Mapped up the laziest all-in-one mapping ever and had fun…but it was hardly ideal. I was glad to get back to my X1s.

Maschine doesn't do anything with Traktor. You have to figure out everything yourself. It's not laid out right for controlling Traktor. There's a lot of stuff missing. It's weird to get anything resembling feedback out of the LCDs. And it's a lot huger than the X1.

Everything you mentioned wanting to do with looping is included in the default mapping for the X1.

Correct. I remember when I was seriously considering shopping for Maschine. I couldn't find anyone to answer a few specific questions. They were things I figured out in 5 minutes after I bought it and should have been easy for anyone who owned one to check, even if they didn't work that way.

Maschine is brilliant for what it is. Until the new MPC series actually ships, it's about the only thing that does exactly what it does. But, there's no reason to buy it to control Traktor. If you want pad-style control…a Trigger finger is only marginally more limited and costs 1/6 as much. For Traktor, an X1 is more powerful because of the way it's laid out and the number of controls that are actually usable.

That, on the other hand, is a lot of fun.

actually in the controller editor window you can get all sorts of feedback from the lcd windows, its pretty simple just takes some editing like all controllers. :)

mostapha
04-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Yo, if you can get your hands on a Trigger Finger, I highly recommend it. It's low profile, has 16 presets (for the pads, knobs, and sliders), and is very light. One of the best things M-Audio ever made.

I agree. M-Audio makes 2 good products: keyboards and the trigger finger. Everything else I've used of theirs has been crap.

I wonder if I could find my old Trigger Finger. At this point, I'd practically give it away. I just can't find it.

actually in the controller editor window you can get all sorts of feedback from the lcd windows, its pretty simple just takes some editing like all controllers. :)

Meh.

No, seriously. Meh. It's so incredibly good at what it does, the fact that you can do something like that is irrelevant. And IIRC, Traktor doesn't do what it needs to actually make them scribble strips…so you'll never get meaningful values for the controls even if you can get the labels to show up…at that point, you're spending $600 and some time dicking around in software for what normal people do with console tape.

IDK…maybe I'm missing something.

Machine is awesome. If you want Maschine (as a production tool), buy it. If you then also want to use it for Traktor, go ahead. Don't buy it to use with Traktor and maybe dick around with Production…you'll spend a lot more money than you have to and get basically nothing out of it.

Synergy
04-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Machine is awesome. If you want Maschine (as a production tool), buy it. If you then also want to use it for Traktor, go ahead. Don't buy it to use with Traktor and maybe dick around with Production…you'll spend a lot more money than you have to and get basically nothing out of it.

this. I agree.

ben mills
04-19-2012, 12:03 PM
I understand that Maschine is a completely different product made for a completely different use than the X-1. I have interest in the Maschine independent of the X-1. Was just wondering if the Maschine could work to kill both birds with one stone - regardless of whether or not I'd have to program the Maschine to do what I wanted.

The more and more I read and see things, it seems like I should just buy both.

ampnation
04-19-2012, 12:18 PM
RE: X1 vs. Maschine, I don't know enough to say this is an option or not, but what about the X1 and a Maschine Mikro? Costs about the same as just the full version Maschine for the X1/Mikro combo and I would think, gives you enough of the Machine features for a live set. Just an idea.

RE: is the new Traktor really one or two versions? i.e. is there a new Scratch 2.5? I think they have one version of the software. You'll note the only products with the Scratch name now are the two upper tier audio interfaces which come bundled with software. I think including the "Scratch" moniker is meant to indicate that they come with everything you need for DVS like time code discs. I'm guessing TSP 2.5 will be scratch ready with the addition of time codes.

I also think this new strategy will have a serious negative impact on Vitual DJ. The only VDJ version I would consider for a pro DJ would be the full pro version which runs $299 WITHOUT an audio interface. That is compared to TSP 2.5 software only for $89 MSRP or $339 MSRP for TSP 2.5 WITH an excellent audio interface with a nice level of features... street price will probably be at or below VDJ's $299 software only product.

So if you're a Video DJ maybe you find VDJ's video compelling. I'm sure there are one or two other features. But other than that, they seem to be charging a substantial premium for a product that isn't any better. Given I already have an interface built into my controller (DN-HD2500) I don't see there being any competition to $89 for the software only TSP 2.5 when it comes out.

Synergy
04-19-2012, 12:22 PM
I understand that Maschine is a completely different product made for a completely different use than the X-1. I have interest in the Maschine independent of the X-1. Was just wondering if the Maschine could work to kill both birds with one stone - regardless of whether or not I'd have to program the Maschine to do what I wanted.

with both, you could do tonnns of things man, really. maschine is awesome, takes a while to learn it though, it seems simple on the outside but its pretty deep.

Synergy
04-19-2012, 12:25 PM
RE: is the new Traktor really one or two versions? i.e. is there a new Scratch 2.5? I think they have one version of the software. You'll note the only products with the Scratch name now are the two upper tier audio interfaces which come bundled with software. I think including the "Scratch" moniker is meant to indicate that they come with everything you need for DVS like time code discs. I'm guessing TSP 2.5 will be scratch ready with the addition of time codes.

The new Traktor will be Traktor Remix and it will incorporate ALL versions of Traktor to ONE version. If you own TSP2 and maybe TSP the upgrade is free. They have the fees on the site. You will still be able to do timecode with the Audio 2-4-6-8-10. It should be interesting, I hope they fix all of the problems with TSP2 when it's released.

mostapha
04-19-2012, 01:03 PM

In that case, the X1 gives you a smaller size and the flexibility to use both…plus stepped encoders. It's a lot more pleasant to set loop lengths, move loops around, and pick tracks when the encoders click. Maschine's encoders don't click…and the 4 designed for those purposes on the X1 do.

I owned both and didn't regret it.

RE: X1 vs. Maschine, I don't know enough to say this is an option or not, but what about the X1 and a Maschine Mikro? Costs about the same as just the full version Maschine for the X1/Mikro combo and I would think, gives you enough of the Machine features for a live set. Just an idea.

I have a friend that owns a Mikro and likes it, but he takes things less seriously than almost anyone on this forum. He's awesome, but he's the person that Live Lite and Garage Band are designed for.

If I'd bought the Mikro instead of the full Maschine, it would have gathered dust for a little while and I would have eventually sold it. I think it's a worthless pile of crap.

ben mills
04-19-2012, 01:45 PM
So, I went ahead and bought the Kontrol X1. Guitar Center has a $30 coupon until April 23rd, so I will pick it up on the way home from work.

I've been running the original Traktor Scratch since 2008 (and Final Scratch 1.5 since 2004 before that...straight vinyl before that).

Obviously, this will plug and play with current versions of Traktor. Any ideas if it will plug and play with my version? I will probably end up upgrading now that I have the Kontrol X1, but didn't really have a need before.

DJNR
04-19-2012, 01:52 PM
It should. I can't think of any features the X1 accesses that TSP or TP doesn't already have. Just import the X1 TSI file within the settings box.

ben mills
04-19-2012, 04:03 PM
A little confusing. I've read some things that seem to contradict each other. Maybe someone can help me out with some clarification.

I currently run the original Traktor Scratch. Right now I can upgrade to Traktor Scratch 2.0 for $45.

It lists the upgrade price to Traktor Scratch 2.5 as $120, I think.

I think I read somewhere that current users of Traktor Scratch 2.x will receive free upgrades to Traktor Scratch 2.5 upon its release.

So, if I am correct in my thinking, I should upgrade before April 30th to Scratch 2.0, and then upon release I will get a free upgrade to the new 2.5.

Does that seem to be how it works?

Or if I upgrade now to 2.0, will I have to pay the $120 to go to 2.5. That's more in line with NI history, but I think they are changing things up for this revision.

Synergy
04-19-2012, 05:22 PM
sounds about right ben. as long as you have 2x before the deadline you should qualify for the FREE upgrade :) ill dig in the ni forums and see if i can find the 100% in that.

Synergy
04-19-2012, 05:27 PM
okay my man, here you go....

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor/?page=4063

illl copy and paste to see if it will work in here so u don't have to jump....nope

it seems if u have any Traktor X 2X then you will get the upgrade FREE anything other than Traktor X 2X then you will pay a fee. see the jump for prices.

ben mills
04-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Thanks - looks like I should go ahead and upgrade and then get the free upgrade.

Can't give you any rep until I spread it around some more...but thanks for the tip.