PDA

View Full Version : Was I thinking correctly?

A#1 DJ
04-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Got a phone call from a Bride on my machine, called her back and she seemed very nice, polite and informed.
When I quoted her my basic price for 4hrs she just said "oh, erm ohhh kay. to which point I said "Ok just give me a call if you need me, Thanks for phoning" and hung up.
I did not go into my usual sales spiel at that time, should I have? I've been in the business for quite a long time now and believe I can sniff out a "tire kicker" right out of the gate.
How are you guy's sniffers? :)

Silver Man
04-02-2012, 11:38 AM
I give every potential B&G the full pitch weather I think they will go with me or not. I have been surprised on many occasions where it paid off. I will get calls like that sometimes and then afterwards I don't think I have it. Then, after a few days when they do some shopping around, I get a call back and they want to meet. Give them all the information because they may be disillusioned at how much a DJ costs, but once they find out, they will go back to the one they feel most comfortable with and hire them. If you brush them off, then most likely, they won't come back once they find out how much it costs. Don't get me wrong, they all don't come back as some may just settle for an ipod, but some do eventually come back around.

Sween
04-02-2012, 03:18 PM
I love it when they do that... "Oh, okay..." and then they quickly say "thanks" and hang up. Or they start asking questions like "and that's the basic package?... because I don't need lights... and we only need four hours... Is that the lowest price?" And then they get all pissy when you say "yes, that is the STARTING price".

Dix
04-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Normally, I interview EVERY client BEFORE I give a quote. I simply tell them I need to know what they need from me & what they expect me to do... before so I can quote an accurate price. I need to know what they need a price on. I just ask them to let me ask a few questions & I turn the tables & interview them rather than them interviewing me. When its over, I usually have an idea of how picky or "bridzilla like" they are. How detailed or how basic they are. I know where the event usually is (in case I don't play that venue or how hard that venue is to work with etc). I know her budget & if she has hired other expensive vendors etc. In short, I have had a chance to feel her up.. ahh, I mean out, in many aspects. Then & only then will I provide a quote. I wont quote on a job I know nothing about.

As well, I am getting real close to stopping all email conversations prior to quoting. I will send an email & ask them to give me a call OR provide me with a phone number so I can call them to discuss the event. If they ask a question in response to my question, I usually wont even respond back. I must talk with the client so I know what I am getting into. I wont play email tag anymore.

Hope this helps... good luck :)
TC

I love music
04-03-2012, 12:50 AM
i think its good to get them into a conversation and see what they re like. If they re price shoppers i ll explaine to them what a dj does, the work involved and that with 300$ they wont get a wedding dj, but something else..

If i sense a bridezilla i raise my prices.

DJ's are usually the last thing wedding couples book. they spent months and lots of money on all kinds of nonsense (decorations, pricy invitations, etc) and on the most important part of their wedding (entertainment) they want to go cheap.

"Why should i give this person 700$ for pressing a few buttons for 4 hrs?" Thats a typical brides response.
Brides are "ok" giving 600$ for hair-styling and make up (an hrs work) but they think the dj "costs too much money". I say let em have the craiglist dj for their wedding. See how they like it.

9 out of 10 brides say that they should have spent more money for their weddings entertainment. But they realise it after their wedding day, when its too late..