PDA

View Full Version : Skrillex on CDJs

Era 7
04-02-2012, 06:24 AM
sooo looks like flaming can end now. seems like he ditched ableton.

http://forum.djtechtools.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8576&d=1333316881

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kGKO-N_I3dU

*picked up the discussion from DJTT

skoorb
04-02-2012, 07:00 AM
Looks like a good time.

mantis
04-02-2012, 08:44 AM
i like that first track. If thats dubstep i think i can dig it. Anyone can tell me the name of that track?

MeowMix
04-02-2012, 08:56 AM
the track list is in the youtube description.

login
04-02-2012, 09:16 AM
loving the nyan cat visuals XD

Srly, I didnt care if he used ableton if he really could use it for more creative mixing. His music still sucks.

mostapha
04-02-2012, 09:21 AM

The problem was never that he used Ableton…the problem was what he did with it: nothing.

Era 7
04-02-2012, 09:26 AM
The problem was never that he used Ableton…the problem was what he did with it: nothing.

i had no problem with it either but he got allot of flak for it and the "press play and jump around"-attitude.

oMar
04-02-2012, 09:52 AM
And you are content with that level of mixing/blending/cutting/track choice, for the amount of exposure/$$$$/attention he gets? >>>>>>>

http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/106/4d419ce67b544873a4c4d29304e418e5/l.jpg
*Disappointed in you I am*

Era 7
04-02-2012, 10:00 AM
do i have to care about that? i know he probably isn't known for his DJing skills but that is nothing for me to get angry about. i do my thing he does his. in fact that is what more people should do.

DJNR
04-02-2012, 10:09 AM
There goes his trigger finger sponsorship.

moyo wilde
04-02-2012, 10:13 AM
but the lights are amazing!

mrkleen
04-02-2012, 10:16 AM
do i have to care about that? i know he probably isn't known for his DJing skills but that is nothing for me to get angry about. i do my thing he does his. in fact that is what more people should do.

So someone who believes that people should do what they want...and let others do the same, just started a thread to call out the Skirillex haters?

Gotcha :lol:

moyo wilde
04-02-2012, 10:22 AM
i say good on era7. he is helping them do what they do best: capital H capital A capital T capital E. without his help they might not have gotten to their daily quota.

Andrew B
04-02-2012, 11:36 AM
When did people with a differing opinion become haters? What a cop out.

DJNR
04-02-2012, 11:40 AM
When did people with a differing opinion become haters?

My opinion is fact and yours makes you a hater.

YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO OPINION.

:zany:

Finnish_Fox
04-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Is hating on haters considered hypocrisy?

Finnish_Fox
04-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Does that video show a close up at all?

Era 7
04-02-2012, 11:47 AM
So someone who believes that people should do what they want...and let others do the same, just started a thread to call out the Skirillex haters?

Gotcha :lol:

i picked up a thread from another forum and posted it here because i thought it would be a good discussion and wanted to see what people thought about it. nowhere did i call out anyone. it only proves i'm aware that skrillex is getting hate for what he did. but if that is what you want to make out of it...oh well.

awareness does not translate into the fucks i give.

moyo wilde
04-02-2012, 12:38 PM
gotta say i don't care either way, i am just in this thread to have fun and...

:zany:the lights are amazing:zany:

Era 7
04-02-2012, 12:44 PM
:zany:the lights are amazing:zany:

:lol:

NickyNines
04-02-2012, 03:08 PM

*picked up the discussion from DJTT

At what point again did it show him actually mixing? I'm seriously confused. :lol:

J. Overcash
04-02-2012, 03:23 PM
I went to his tour after party in Asheville to see Dillon Francis and he ended up playing a set with 12th planet toward the end of the night. He was on CDJ's and trainwrecked a few songs together then blamed it on not having headphones... There's 6 other DJ's standing around you, someone will let you use their headphones, don't make excuses cause you have no idea what you're doing.

Finnish_Fox
04-02-2012, 03:34 PM
I went to his tour after party in Asheville to see Dillon Francis and he ended up playing a set with 12th planet toward the end of the night. He was on CDJ's and trainwrecked a few songs together then blamed it on not having headphones... There's 6 other DJ's standing around you, someone will let you use their headphones, don't make excuses cause you have no idea what you're doing.

How does he not trainwreck without headphones?

DJNR
04-02-2012, 03:42 PM
How does he not trainwreck without headphones?

Visually? I mean, I see people DJ without headphones all the time when using a DVS. Since the new CDJs have waveforms, couldn't he have just looked at that as a guideline?

Era 7
04-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Visually? I mean, I see people DJ without headphones all the time when using a DVS. Since the new CDJs have waveforms, couldn't he have just looked at that as a guideline?

guess that would be pretty hard to do. with serato waveforms you sure could but the CDJ waveforms at most give a guide to where breakdowns start and end and an overall orientation where you are in a track. i would rely on them to mix.

Finnish_Fox
04-02-2012, 04:20 PM

Not sure about the 2000s, but the waveform on the 900s is tiny - big enough that you can see where the drop is but not nearly big enough to be able to sync it... unless you can magnify it?

DJNR
04-02-2012, 04:30 PM
I know the 2000 screen is much bigger, which is the only reason I thought maybe he did it visually.

Andrew B
04-02-2012, 05:00 PM
I know the 2000 screen is much bigger, which is the only reason I thought maybe he did it visually.

It's easier to just look at the channel meters.

Finnish_Fox
04-02-2012, 05:07 PM
It's easier to just look at the channel meters.

Yep, but I wouldn't imagine it would be all that clean if he did.

Rek_Aviles
04-02-2012, 05:13 PM
And you are content with that level of mixing/blending/cutting/track choice, for the amount of exposure/$$$$/attention he gets? >>>>>>>

http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/106/4d419ce67b544873a4c4d29304e418e5/l.jpg
*Disappointed in you I am*

Given the latest trend of ppl worshiping djs who aren't really djs, this doesn't matter anymore. Only matters to other djs :(

VjQue
04-02-2012, 05:18 PM
only dj's hate on other dj's. cuz they wanna be them.

frandomeda
04-02-2012, 05:18 PM
This shit seems to be the new trend. Jesus guys give it a rest.

DJNR
04-02-2012, 05:20 PM
I think it would just be better to close this thread.

frandomeda
04-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Not only this one

deephouse
04-03-2012, 07:34 PM
"uh-oh the lights are changing...better grab this knob over here on an empty channel!" :teef:

Adzm00
04-04-2012, 05:16 AM
When did people with a differing opinion become haters? What a cop out.

This has always been the case. Either that or you don't like a DJ because you are jealous of them. Those are the lines the newbtards use when you call them out on liking a shit DJ, like Skrillex.

EDIT

See like this...

only dj's hate on other dj's. cuz they wanna be them.

I didn't read page two before posting, glad someone proved my point though.

Ness
04-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Just out of interest, and I ask because I really don't know, but has Skrillex ever labelled himself a DJ?

de.j.l
04-04-2012, 08:13 AM
half the time when I am using CDJS it doesn't load the visual display fast enough for me to even bother looking at them, the BPM display is nice but % is better... if you think you can accomplish more than Skrillex then why are you on DJForums complaining about his progression and popularity, get your ass on ableton or some other DAW and out produce him , make it big... then maybe what you have to say about him will mean something...

but probably not..

de.j.l
04-04-2012, 08:15 AM
I don't listen to his productions, nor do I go to his shows.. but I don't sit on a computer flaming him either.. he's making his millions now.. wheres ours?

Adzm00
04-04-2012, 09:42 AM
if you think you can accomplish more than Skrillex then why are you on DJForums complaining about his progression and popularity, get your ass on ableton or some other DAW and out produce him , make it big... then maybe what you have to say about him will mean something...

but probably not..

Who said anything about accomplishing more than him, he is doing really well even if he is a pile of shit. And why does anyone have to become as popular as he is for their opinion to mean anything? Yet again another retarded fucking argument about people airing their personal music tastes.

Some of the worst tracks ever made have become popular and sold millions, does that mean it is not shit?

Exhibit A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3dPXxPGbmM

DJNR
04-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Just out of interest, and I ask because I really don't know, but has Skrillex ever labelled himself a DJ?

I don't think he has. It's become expected now that any producer is a DJ, and the two terms are used interchangeably.

Producers are now synonymous with DJs.

Finnish_Fox
04-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Exhibit A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3dPXxPGbmM

Exhibit B - went platinum and was country video of the year:

http://youtu.be/uJjnKzHMT18

Adzm00
04-05-2012, 05:13 AM
went platinum and was country video of the year:

:freak:

There are so many examples of really bad music/shit artists doing well.

The arguments of jealousy or needing to be as successful as DJ [X] to be able to comment are both stupid and lazy.

moyo wilde
04-05-2012, 05:28 AM
like i said i couldn't care less one way or the other my use of hating was comedy,

on a serious note maybe people should add some serious criticism instead of "he/she is shit." "his/her music is shit". it would be a lot more informative from the stand point of what not to do, what can be done better, etc. and there would be room for intelligent debate, cause this thread does not really explain the "hate" which is what it is if you can't back it up with something valid. if you don't have time to go into detail maybe it is better left unsaid.

oh and

the lights are amazing!

Adzm00
04-05-2012, 05:49 AM
on a serious note maybe people should add some serious criticism instead of "he/she is shit." "his/her music is shit". it would be a lot more informative from the stand point of what not to do, what can be done better, etc. and there would be room for intelligent debate, cause this thread does not really explain the "hate" which is what it is if you can't back it up with something valid. if you don't have time to go into detail maybe it is better left unsaid.

Having been party to many threads where people are voicing their opinions on artists or tracks, explaining why you don't like something brings nothing, most of the time those defending with these silly suggestions of jealousy etc. just do not listen.

I don't know how many times the likes of why people think Deadmaufive is rubbish has been explained in full, only for some mau lover to state "your just jealous" (intentionally wrong spelling).

NPC
04-05-2012, 05:49 AM
Shit that stage is amazing. The music isn't bad either, I like the drum and bass he's throwing in there. There could be a jukebox there and I would be enjoying myself with all that shit going on behind him.

Edit: lol dude needs an MC, he sounds pretty bad on the mic.

moyo wilde
04-05-2012, 07:19 AM
okay for my sake can somebody point out what he did wrong in the video. i didn't see it hear it. i am not a skrillex fan nor do i listen to dubstep or whatever it is that he plays.. i mean if he was playing a predade cd then yeah i get it. also if somebody could post some "real dubstep so i know the difference cause no snark since i have seen people here say that what he does is not quite.

i don't really get what people don't like about the vid. i felt the mix was a good journey he mixed it up tempo&genre wise. seemed like there were a few different "emotions" expressed. that's a lot for what ten minutes. anyway let me know why you don't like it. i wouldn't necessarily spin dubstep, but that wasn't as bad as you guys make it seem.

i am being completely serious here. this vid is probably the first dubstep mix i have listened to.

Adzm00
04-05-2012, 08:21 AM
I don't know what is wrong with the video, I skipped through it with no sound on. Reason: That music is offensive to my ears.

Crazy lightshow though.

moyo wilde
04-05-2012, 10:26 AM
wait, why are you saying it's shit and you didn't listen to it? the hate is strong with you huh?

Adzm00
04-05-2012, 10:52 AM
wait, why are you saying it's shit and you didn't listen to it? the hate is strong with you huh?

I KNOW what music skrillex plays. I listened to about 5 secs of it and took my headphones off.

Jesus christ.

Maikky
04-05-2012, 11:21 AM
I don't hate Skrillex .

I hate his fans .

:blank:

Finnish_Fox
04-05-2012, 11:48 AM

:facepalm:

DJNR
04-05-2012, 02:25 PM
I don't hate Skrillex .

I hate his fans .

You really like using that face.

A lot.

But I'm there with you. His fans are the worst. They hate you if you don't listen to Skrillex religiously.

CC Ricers
04-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Ahh, the non-fan that likes someone. Very rare find.

Maikky
04-05-2012, 04:00 PM
You really like using that face.

A lot.

But I'm there with you. His fans are the worst. They hate you if you don't listen to Skrillex religiously.

They heard him once on hype track and became uber "edm" knowledgeable, I hate that the most .

M!TCH
04-05-2012, 04:24 PM

You seem to be quite the vacillator in this thread. Going from just having fun to then being serious then trying to call people out. I'm sure it is the same for m00 as it is for me, I DO NOT LIKE Skrillex's music. If I see a video of him I'm going to hit the mute button. No need to hear it. It's called having a personal taste in music. One that we're all allowed to have. Don't start throwing people under the bus and calling them hater's because you can't understand what his comment was.

DJNR
04-05-2012, 04:47 PM
They heard him once on hype track and became uber "edm" knowledgeable, I hate that the most .

:blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank:

Braindead
04-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Didn't watch the whole thing, but how do you know he's using CDJs?

Interracial Tea
04-05-2012, 07:38 PM
I don't hate Skrillex .

I hate his fans .

This is how I feel about him too. I like his music. I hate his fans.

moyo wilde
04-05-2012, 08:58 PM
i am not vacillating, i am still just having fun. i am by no means a fan, but i have an open mind and if somebody says oh this is good i'll give it an objective listen. i asked a simple question and some people answered his answer and yours are subpar. like i said, i don't have an agenda. but if you are saying it is bad, at least have a good reason. i "don't like it" and "i like it" are not good answers. a good answer supplies the "why".

if someone says something sucks then you ask "why it sucks" and they say "oh i didn't listen to it.", that shit is pure comedy i couldnt a made it funnier if i wanted. i didn't throw him under the bus he flung himself under the bus.

so why? help me understand cause right now i don't. all i got is two i didn't listen and some people saying they hate his fans.

ChrisHynds
04-05-2012, 09:22 PM
This is starting to get retarded, Skrillex threads should be banned unless they are posted in the Dubstep section

Finnish_Fox
04-05-2012, 09:32 PM
i "don't like it" and "i like it" are not good answers. a good answer supplies the "why".

OMFG. :facepalm:

Did it occur to you that "i don't like it" IS the reason why?

if someone says something sucks then you ask "why it sucks" and they say "oh i didn't listen to it.", that shit is pure comedy i couldnt a made it funnier if i wanted. i didn't throw him under the bus he flung himself under the bus.

Saying something sucks is far different than saying "I don't like it" - if it sucks, why? Not liking something doesn't make it bad... however not liking something may be the reason you don't like something. Saying it sucks is effectively saying it is bad.

Like olives - people who don't like them dislike the taste but saying that is pretty redundant... sort of like saying, "I don't like it because of the sound."... well, duh. How could someone like the way it sounds but dislike it at the same time?

so why? help me understand cause right now i don't. all i got is two i didn't listen and a some people saying they hate his fans.

Because I don't like it.

moyo wilde
04-05-2012, 09:51 PM
you guys have obviously never taken a class that included crit. if you don't like olives then you should be able to supply the why. for example i don't like okra, because okra has a slimy feel, when you eat it, that reminds me of a loogie. or whatever it is about the flavor that you dislike, too salty/bitter/sweet etc. just saying you don't like the taste is insufficent.

i don't like it is insufficient plain and simple it isn't a well thought out response. why should somebody take your opinion seriously if you 1) haven't taken the time to think about it 2) can't fully express your opinion.

i would still like to know what it is that people don't like, if there is better/more "real" dubstep what that is, or what the problem was with his mixing in the video. i am not really interested in the rest of this djf argument stuff, just looking for some info, i wasn't really calling anybody out.

M!TCH
04-05-2012, 11:00 PM

"i don't like it is insufficient plain and simple it isn't a well thought out response. why should somebody take your opinion seriously if you 1) haven't taken the time to think about it 2) can't fully express your opinion. "

Your reasoning for saying "the hate is strong with you huh" is "plain and simple and isn't a well thought out response." Why should we take your questions seriously if you aren't going to take time to think about it and try to fully understand someone else opinion.

you guys have obviously never taken a class that included crit. if you don't like olives then you should be able to supply the why. for example i don't like okra, because okra has a slimy feel, when you eat it, that reminds me of a loogie. or whatever it is about the flavor that you dislike, too salty/bitter/sweet etc. just saying you don't like the taste is insufficent.

i don't like it is insufficient plain and simple it isn't a well thought out response. why should somebody take your opinion seriously if you 1) haven't taken the time to think about it 2) can't fully express your opinion.

i would still like to know what it is that people don't like, if there is better/more "real" dubstep what that is, or what the problem was with his mixing in the video. i am not really interested in the rest of this djf argument stuff, just looking for some info, i wasn't really calling anybody out.

You've clearly never taken an English class before. This is a forum, not a debate class. People can say whatever they please. Freedom of expression. If I want to call you a name I can and do not need to back up my statement unless I want to. It's a personal choice, not something you get to mandate that all of us justify anything we say. If I say the sky is green and you say justify it, what if I just say something else, is that good enough justification? Where is the line that declares when we have reached absolute justification and made a well thought out response?

In all honesty, I just wrote this long boring post just because you can't seem to take the hint that people don't like Skrillex and don't need to go into depth as to why or why not. I don't like him because I think he looks like a gorilla. I can assure you I do not like Skrillex and i am not jealous of him. Cool, he made himself a superstar. I don't need to be a superstar to be happy with myself and my life. Jealousy = cop out response in my opinion.

moyo wilde
04-05-2012, 11:46 PM
^^^^
obviously not a well thought out response. look internet tough guy, to be honest the profanity is uncalled for and unappreciated.

if you don't want to explain why you don't like him please don't respond to my queries. if anyone would like to have a discussion or enlighten me as to why they like it or why they don't like skrillex dubstep cool. all the other stuff is a waste of time. this is the last reply i am making to people who are not interested in having an intelligent convo. about dubstep. again i have no agenda except gaining some info. i am niether pro skrillex/dubstep or anti-skrillex/dubstep. i am not saying someone is jealous or whatever.

peace.

Finnish_Fox
04-06-2012, 12:57 AM
\you guys have obviously never taken a class that included crit. if you don't like olives then you should be able to supply the why. for example i don't like okra, because okra has a slimy feel, when you eat it, that reminds me of a loogie. or whatever it is about the flavor that you dislike, too salty/bitter/sweet etc. just saying you don't like the taste is insufficent.

it might be insufficient for you, but I don't give a shit about you. I just don't like it... take it or leave it. Telling me what I should or have to explain myself is just dumb and the entire reason no one likes critics to begin with.

It's the internet... who is taking any of this seriously anyways?

The fact I don't like dubstep is the reason I don't like dubstep. Don't think I can boil it down for you anymore than that.

Finnish_Fox
04-06-2012, 01:00 AM
^^^^obviously not a well thought out response. look internet tough guy, to be honest the profanity is uncalled for and unappreciated.

Go whine to someone who gives a shit.

if you don't want to explain why you don't like him please don't respond to my queries.

Hey genius - I already told you. I don't like dubstep. Hence, I don't like the music a dubstep producer makes. Shall we revisit basic math while we're at it?

if anyone would like to have a discussion or enlighten me as to why they like it or why they don't like skrillex dubstep cool.

Uhhh... because its dubstep.

all the other stuff is a waste of time. this is the last reply i am making to people who are not interested in having an intelligent convo. about dubstep. again i have no agenda except gaining some info. i am niether pro skrillex/dubstep or anti-skrillex/dubstep. i am not saying someone is jealous or whatever.

...as if your portion was intelligent. It wasn't... just pretentious.

Interracial Tea
04-06-2012, 01:16 AM
We should create a single Skrillex megathread where everything Skrillex related should be posted.

Friction
04-06-2012, 01:26 AM
Back on topic and keep the profanity out guys.

Hygro
04-06-2012, 04:42 AM
i like that first track. If thats dubstep i think i can dig it. Anyone can tell me the name of that track?
That's Drum & Bass with a dubstep break. Or something.

Not gonna lie those are some fantastic visuals.

jaytoh
04-06-2012, 05:42 AM
This is starting to get retarded, Skrillex threads should be banned unless they are posted in the Dubstep section

I was just thinking the same thing!

I get bored of Skrillex related threads