PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Stands

DjAaron
04-01-2012, 11:50 PM
Ok I am looking for a good laptop stand but don't want to make my wallet scream! I had the uberstand but I didn't like the way I had to use a ziptie to make sure the stand would stay up.

I was looking at the new magma controller and laptop stand but not sure if I should get it.

So post up your experiences with what stands and suggestions!

Hibbo
04-01-2012, 11:59 PM
I know its expensive but i really cannot reccomend the Crane Pro stand highly enough, no matter how shitty or small the booth ive always got room for my mac and s2 thanks to it.
The fact it folds flat and fits in my dj bag is a bonus.
Spend the extra cash and get the best, trust me it's worth it.

DJNR
04-02-2012, 12:13 AM
I keep hearing good things about the crane.

From someone who has bought nothing but cheap laptop stands (including the Uberstand) I wish that I had just gotten the crane. None of the stands I have are any good, and they don't hold my gear well enough for me not to worry about something falling off.

My two cents.

Dave Daschofsky
04-02-2012, 12:22 AM
I've got a Crane stand and i was a bit shocked at the price tag but I'm glad i got it instead of an uberstand.

Sween
04-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Another fan of the Crane stand here...

DjAaron
04-02-2012, 09:45 AM
I will check out the crane stand. How does it fit under a controller? I don't want it lifting my controller a little like I have had some stands do

DJNR
04-02-2012, 09:55 AM
I don't think that it would be suited for anything larger than an S2.

DjAaron
04-02-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't think that it would be suited for anything larger than an S2.

Dang that sucks. I will still check it out. I am looking for something that will fit nicely under my MC6000 but if I can't find something I can always put the laptop to the side of me then.

DJNR
04-02-2012, 10:23 AM
The MC might fit. It's not too big, so maybe it will fit.

DjAaron
04-02-2012, 10:36 AM
The MC might fit. It's not too big, so maybe it will fit.

That would be great if it did. I do like the look of the stand. Has anyone tryed the Magma stands yet?

Guest One
04-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Can someone explain what the prob is with the Uberstand? I have a Crane and it's a well built adjustable unit but not tall enough for my setup.

DJNR
04-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Can someone explain what the prob is with the Uberstand? I have a Crane and it's a well built adjustable unit but not tall enough for my setup.

While it is light and portable, these strengths are also it's weakness. My laptop (MacBook pro 15") never feels stable, and the low weight of the stand makes it feel unstable in club environments. Similarly, you rely on a zip tie to keep the stand open, which is sketchy to me.

DjAaron
04-02-2012, 12:25 PM
While it is light and portable, these strengths are also it's weakness. My laptop (MacBook pro 15") never feels stable, and the low weight of the stand makes it feel unstable in club environments. Similarly, you rely on a zip tie to keep the stand open, which is sketchy to me.

Exactly. My laptop never felt stable when I had mine. I always felt like my laptop was going to fall back or tip over

DJNR
04-02-2012, 12:28 PM
It's because it isn't slanted. Because the surface is flat, it feels like gravity is against your laptop rather than for it :lol:

Johnnotestine
04-02-2012, 10:39 PM
I have the Crane and MC6000. It is a great combination.

I also have an Uberstand that I might make into a frisbee/chew toy for my dog.
I recently saw another pretty cool stand, I will try to find the link.

DjAaron
04-02-2012, 10:59 PM
I have the Crane and MC6000. It is a great combination.

I also have an Uberstand that I might make into a frisbee/chew toy for my dog.
I recently saw another pretty cool stand, I will try to find the link.

Very nice!

Has anyone seen the controller stand from magma?
http://www.pssl.com/Magma-CONTROLLERSTAND-Controller-And-Laptop-Stand

Looks really sturdy from the pics I have seen online

DJNR
04-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Very nice!

I have gotten a few stands that "look" sturdy online, but in reality they don't take to traveling really well. Give it a shot I suppose. It's pretty cool how it can fit a controller with relative ease. My worry is that it will be too low.

djpenguin
04-02-2012, 11:18 PM
I have an Uberstand that I've been using for years. I stuck some little rubber feet to the bottom to slant it forward, and I don't use the ziptie with it. I've had no problems with it being wobbly or unsteady while using it to hold a 13" macbook or an MPD16.

Johnnotestine
04-03-2012, 12:50 AM
Very nice!

Hey, found the one I was thinking of on the PSSL page you listed. http://www.pssl.com/Ultimate-HYPERSTATION-Pro-2-Tier-Laptop-Stand-RED
Looks like it's not available yet, but it sure is a pretty cool looking design.

Guest One
04-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Magma & Hyperstation look pretty low to me & Crane still a better option over both?

Great Idea on tilting the Uberstand with rubber feet. With that being modified, any other probs with the Uberstand? Does it stand taller over other laptop stands?

spicaly
04-03-2012, 11:21 AM
im using a $50 numark stand, very simple, takes 30 seconds for setup and breakdown

B.Frank
04-03-2012, 11:22 AM
There's a crane pro and a crane standard now. The pro is adjustable and the standard isn't, so make sure you know what you need. I'm ok with it not being adjustable, so when I saw the standard was half the price of the pro I jumped on it.

djpenguin
04-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Magma & Hyperstation look pretty low to me & Crane still a better option over both?

Great Idea on tilting the Uberstand with rubber feet. With that being modified, any other probs with the Uberstand? Does it stand taller over other laptop stands?

It's about 12" tall. I haven't had any problems with it, other than a small tear that appeared in the carry bag.

shawno
04-20-2012, 06:48 PM
I picked up a Crane pro to replace my Uberstand after reading this thread. The Crane makes the Uberstand feel like a toy.
I've hated the Uberstand ever since a drunk MF knocked over my laptop 2 years ago and ended the party early.

howitzer
04-23-2012, 06:35 AM
I bagged myself one of these a while back as an interim stand before taking the plunge for the more expensive crane or uberstand: http://www.maplin.co.uk/laptop-dj-stand-389152

I havent needed to upgrade, neither do I want to. This thing is solid! I have no fear for my lappy when its on this thing.

Its not terribly portable though, it doesnt fold away conveniently or anything. I wrap it round my UDG gig bag and hook it into the shoulder strap. Fits like a dream!

It looks pretty similar to that magma stand too, but I bet you its a quarter of the price!

3owls.ca
04-23-2012, 12:43 PM
I use the Odyssey L-Stands and the Crane Stand Pro. Both are excellent. L-Stands if you don't want to spend much. However, if you're the type who wished had bought the best, go with the Crane Stand. You'll forget you spent the $100++ on it.

sss18734
04-23-2012, 01:30 PM
I'd say grab the crane stand if ultra-portability is a big concern or if you use a 13" notebook.

Otherwise, grab one of these and never worry about a laptop stand ever again. http://store.roadreadycases.com/dyn_prod.php?p=RRFSSS&k=224582

DJ Highline
05-03-2012, 09:39 AM
I'm in the same boat as you. I was looking at the Magma Control Stand because you can put the controller on it and the laptop which is great for clubs. Its designed to let your controller and laptop sit over an existing mixer so that you can easily set it up in a club situation. I also like it because you can elevate your controller so if somebody spills a drink everything is above the surface and wont get wet. The problem is that it doesn't fold up. Its designed to put in a studio or club and left there.

Magma makes a laptop riser stand that looks like the MC6000 might fit on OK if you are not a button masher. The platform is only 10"x10" and the MC6000 is 18"x10". This will serve the purpose of lifting the controller.

As far as laptop stands, Magama has a new laptop stand called Laptop Stand 2.1 which is very similar to the Odyssey LStandM but you can angle the laptop and it has extension arms that you can put a small controller like a nanopad infront of your laptop. The bad news is it isn't available in the US yet. I like the crane stand, but it seems pricey. So for me, I think I will be going with the LStandM for right now.

DJ Que Yi
05-10-2012, 12:16 PM
I've tried the Uberstand and returned it the next day. It wasn't tall enough for my cases. Plus the zip tie thing wasn't secure enough for me. I now use the L-Stand and it's taken some abuse and is still working perfectly. It takes a little time to clamp to my cases but it's sturdy a ever and can house my SL3 and 17inch MBP with ease. I have the L-Stand mobile as well and it's about the same as the L-Stand. However it's not as portable as they advertise. However I am going to get the Crane Pro. I need a tall sturdy stand that can fold flat and set up in seconds. The efficient set up time is worth the extra bucks IMO.

RaphaelJohn
05-16-2012, 02:44 PM
I first bought the Odyssey LStandM when I first started DJing, I liked the adjustable height, but after using the Crane Stand Pro, I decided to get one for myself. It fit better in my gig bag, and I love the fact that the angle is adjustable to your liking. It comes with a lifetime warranty, and if you watch the youtube vids on their site you'll see that it can take a beating. I spent like $130 for mine and it is definitely worth it.

DJ Que Yi
05-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Last week I purchased the Ultimate Hyperstation Portable Laptop Stand from the Guitar Center. I was set on buying the Crane Pro but it wasn't in stock and they had just received the Ultimate Stand. It's built like a tank and easy to setup. It's a major step up from the L-Stand. I wish you could mount the shelf on the backside of the stand like the Crane Pro that way my SL3 box wouldn't cover my gains on my mixer. But I think I can buy some longer stews to accommodate the shelf. All in all I highly recommend it.

Pete Phil
06-30-2012, 01:36 PM
I have this laptop stand http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_laptopstand.htm and i am very happy with this stand.Very easy to assemble and very sturdy .The price is excellent :) . The only Cons is that is not portable enough, but to stay in my home studio is more than enough.

mostapha
07-01-2012, 11:39 AM
I use one a Grifffin thing from the Apple Store.

http://www.mh-friends.com/cgibin/img/Griffin_LaptopStand375761_pop.jpg

It's not quite what you guys are expecting…first, it's a lot shorter. You can't put the laptop above, say, a DJ mixer. Personally, I prefer that because I hate a laptop staring me in the face, and I hate not being able to see the crowd even more. I just use it so I can put stuff (sound cards, papers, and assorted crap, mostly) under the laptop and to improve airflow.

But, the thing's like $40 and does work. If you don't need anything tall enough to put it over turntables or a mixer, I highly recommend them.

spicaly
07-01-2012, 02:12 PM
thats pretty sexy.... even though its like the ying to the yang of the numark stand

Pete Phil
07-03-2012, 07:11 PM
http://images4.thomann.de/pics/prod/117519.jpg

http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_laptopstand.htm

Pete Phil
07-03-2012, 07:14 PM
But offcourse this one is the best of the best ....

http://images4.thomann.de/pics/prod/269257.jpg

VjQue
07-03-2012, 08:10 PM

Great Idea on tilting the Uberstand with rubber feet. With that being modified, any other probs with the Uberstand? Does it stand taller over other laptop stands? the hyperstation is better than the crane stand and more sturdy

MixStatic99
01-07-2015, 09:18 PM
But offcourse this one is the best of the best ....

http://images4.thomann.de/pics/prod/269257.jpg

It's crazy, I just purchased this exact Laptop stand. When I opened it up, I was a little disappointed at it's flimzy make. I mean, I guess It's decent, but when you view ithe picture online, it looks like it is a little sturdier. It's not a huge complaint of mine or anything. For me, it was all about Best Bang for the Buck. I didn't wanna spend more then $140 bucks on a laptop stand. So it is pretty decent I guess, but I would have preferred something that allowed me to adust the height. Also, this laptop stand doesn't make me feel confident and safe with my laptop. I am a little nervous of it either collapsing or not being able to hold the weight. Fingers crossed when I take it to my next gig.

The Plus is that it folds down flat and can go into a little baggie for easy transportation. Nice and compact. Otherwise, me personally, I am not overly impressed with this thing. But u know the saying goes, you get what you pay for. I never was going to entertain purchasing any laptop stand over $200 bucks. I'd rather put that money towards other gear.

I did see a very nice UDG stand that potentially could be better then this model. Up intill now, everyone I knew ranted and raved about the Stanton Uber Stand. So I almost purchased that one. I dunno which ones better. Well, what's done is done, I am going to try and work with this one intill I have a reason not to.

akswun
01-08-2015, 10:52 AM
It's crazy, I just purchased this exact Laptop stand. When I opened it up, I was a little disappointed at it's flimzy make. I mean, I guess It's decent, but when you view ithe picture online, it looks like it is a little sturdier. It's not a huge complaint of mine or anything. For me, it was all about Best Bang for the Buck. I didn't wanna spend more then $140 bucks on a laptop stand. So it is pretty decent I guess, but I would have preferred something that allowed me to adust the height. Also, this laptop stand doesn't make me feel confident and safe with my laptop. I am a little nervous of it either collapsing or not being able to hold the weight. Fingers crossed when I take it to my next gig.

The Plus is that it folds down flat and can go into a little baggie for easy transportation. Nice and compact. Otherwise, me personally, I am not overly impressed with this thing. But u know the saying goes, you get what you pay for. I never was going to entertain purchasing any laptop stand over $200 bucks. I'd rather put that money towards other gear.

I did see a very nice UDG stand that potentially could be better then this model. Up intill now, everyone I knew ranted and raved about the Stanton Uber Stand. So I almost purchased that one. I dunno which ones better. Well, what's done is done, I am going to try and work with this one intill I have a reason not to.

You know you don't have to have it in that specific configuration in that picture. It's actually sturdier when the lower leg is towards you under your mixer. There is a new updated version of the Crane stand which includes telescopic arms that adjusts the height of the stand. They even got rid of the locking system, IMO is crap because it feels nice and strong when locking it into place.

MixStatic99
01-08-2015, 11:16 AM
You know you don't have to have it in that specific configuration in that picture. It's actually sturdier when the lower leg is towards you under your mixer. There is a new updated version of the Crane stand which includes telescopic arms that adjusts the height of the stand. They even got rid of the locking system, IMO is crap because it feels nice and strong when locking it into place.

Thanks for sharing that info Akswun, I will definitely try to use it in the other position cause it makes sense to sit my mixer on top of that lower leg for support of the entire assembly.

Nicadraus
01-10-2015, 03:52 AM
If you want a straight forward stand that is adjustable, takes only 3 seconds to set up and is probably the most stable of them all, check this (http://www.magma-bags.com/produkte/laptop-stand-riser-e.php3).

Magma Laptop stand riser.

http://0f9837bb1d8aa610a84a-102a6ca990457d67fd96fbe768cb23f2.r50.cf3.rackcdn.c om/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/a/magma-laptop-stand-riser.jpg

Very cheap too. :tup:

Panotaker
01-14-2015, 08:51 PM
This is how you are supposed to setup your Crane Stand for maximum stability.
http://www.pbase.com/panotaker/image/151945127.jpg

TheRabbitMonk
01-16-2015, 12:38 PM
Looking into getting a new stand, bloody hell the Crane stands are expensive.

any thoughts on these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gorilla-Tower-Stand-With-Carry-Case-Crane-Uber-Style-DJ-High-Rise-Laptop-Stand-/191239309483?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Stands_Supports&hash=item2c86c048ab

they look like a cheaper cousin

niarta
01-18-2015, 03:29 PM
http://www.amazon.com/PYLE-PRO-PLPTS25-Laptop-Computer-Stand/dp/B004HJ1ZB8/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1421616409&sr=1-1&keywords=laptop+stand

Yay or nay?

I have a 25 dollar gift card from christmas, so I might drop it on this.

My laptop's a big one too, 15 inch 6 pound laptop. Think it'll work?

wapples
02-01-2015, 10:55 PM
AVE bake a good one but yeah CRANE all the way for me and man those things can take weight so if later need to throw a mixer up there these things built like an ox and look great! Money well spent.
OPOAT

akswun
02-02-2015, 01:30 PM
http://www.amazon.com/PYLE-PRO-PLPTS25-Laptop-Computer-Stand/dp/B004HJ1ZB8/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1421616409&sr=1-1&keywords=laptop+stand

Yay or nay?

I have a 25 dollar gift card from christmas, so I might drop it on this.

My laptop's a big one too, 15 inch 6 pound laptop. Think it'll work?

nay... you'll use it a couple times and kick yourself for not buying something better. The Crane stand is cheaper, considering you don't get the ELITE version. I believe its around $60USD. Don't know what it would be there in the UK.

niarta
02-04-2015, 02:23 PM
nay... you'll use it a couple times and kick yourself for not buying something better. The Crane stand is cheaper, considering you don't get the ELITE version. I believe its around $60USD. Don't know what it would be there in the UK.

I've had it for a few weeks now and I LOVE IT! All metal construction and very, very sturdy. Wobbles only a tiny bit but I have it on the second to highest setting so that is acceptable.

Can hold my controller or laptop, depending on the situation. Folks if you want a cheap stand get this one.

mic check
06-08-2015, 04:11 PM
I've used this stand http://tinyurl.com/nbotl5d for MPC, Traktor s4, akai apc. It's been pretty reliable and comes with clamps. I definitely recommend.

fatcatdj
06-18-2015, 01:54 AM
??? This threads 3 years old. The OP probably moved on to being a Game of Thrones fanboy