PDA

View Full Version : Sub turning off by itself

electricsmooth
07-19-2015, 04:27 PM
So I was DJing a gig yesterday with 2 LS2100P powered subs.

I noticed the bass was lacking so I went and checked on the subs. One had turned off by itself so I turned it off and on again. This worked but only for a little while. Turning it off and then on again seems to work but only temporarily.

Any suggestions on what this could be?

Bill Fitzmaurice
07-19-2015, 04:36 PM
Any suggestions on what this could be?Usually it means a thermal shutdown, caused by playing too loud and/or boosting the lows too much.

conanski
07-19-2015, 05:57 PM
It is always possible this sub has a problem but it's also possible it was experiencing an under voltage problem which would lead to early limiting and possibly overheating, was it attached to the end of a long or undersized extension cord perhaps?

electricsmooth
07-19-2015, 11:28 PM
I make it a point not to push the subs to the point where the limit light turns on. I don't think that was the problem.

I connected them to a 220 supply and with super thick cord.

I'm gonna try them out again next weekend to see if it was maybe a venue issue. Lucky for me, they are still under warranty

conanski
07-20-2015, 08:47 AM
I connected them to a 220 supply and with super thick cord. Do these have a universal power supply? I'm interested in your overall impression of these subs, how long have you had them and how do they perform compared to other subs?

electricsmooth
07-20-2015, 03:34 PM
They have the same standard power supply. The cables I use are 20 feet long and plug in direct to the back. They are quite thick (don't know the gauge).

I bought them used from Long and Mcquade. They were rentals which had me a bit worried but to sweeten the deal, they gave me a 1 year warranty on them.

I only have the ls800ps to compare them to and in that regard, they are pretty great. They can fill a large size room with more than enough bass.

I've had a few issues with them since purchase but I guess that's the price you pay for rentals.

conanski
07-20-2015, 03:59 PM
They have the same standard power supply. The cables I use are 20 feet long and plug in direct to the back. They are quite thick (don't know the gauge). I've had a few issues with them since purchase but I guess that's the price you pay for rentals.

Yorkville powered speakers are typically very reliable so I'd eliminate all the possibilities before sending them in for repair. These amp modules will try to pull a lot of amperage from the wall so they really should have heavy gauge AC cables, personally I'd make sure you have at least 14ga cables with 12ga for longer runs and have each sub on it's own circuit. Your IEC cables should have a cable size stamped into or printed on the sheathing every few feet, the overall size can be misleading as the jacket for some exterior rated cables is very thick.

I bought them used from Long and Mcquade. They were rentals which had me a bit worried but to sweeten the deal, they gave me a 1 year warranty on them. I only have the ls800ps to compare them to and in that regard, they are pretty great. They can fill a large size room with more than enough bass. I wanted to rent a set of 21's for an event this summer but they are phasing out the old subs in favor of the new Parasource line which are easier to transport, kinds sucks because I love big speakers. :lol:

electricsmooth
07-20-2015, 06:43 PM
Ya, they really are pushing those parasource speakers. I heard them once at a wedding but wasn't a huge fan.

The cables I have are likely 8 gauge (at the very least). I'll double check when I get home. I bought them from an electrician/DJ who made them himself for the same reason you explained.

I have a 220 board and I put them on separate circuits. I didn't have a lot of time to fool around with them at the wedding because guests started to roll in just as I had finsihed my setup. I'll bring out again next week and spend more time with them. The only problem is, the wedding next week is for 100 people. Oh man.........they will be leaving deaf. hahaha

Paris McBryde
07-20-2015, 09:02 PM
were you outside ? in direct sunlight ? what was the temperature ?

electricsmooth
07-21-2015, 01:33 AM
It was an air conditioned hall. I guess I'll troubleshoot this weekend

electricsmooth
07-28-2015, 03:10 PM
So tried it out this week and after cutting out once early during the sound test, it worked flawlessly for the rest of the night. Go figure.