PDA

View Full Version : Function-One Speaker Systems Have you played or heard this gear in action

wapples
07-18-2015, 10:46 PM
Now iam sure there have to be some of us that have had the privilege of hearing this gear in action somewhere Iam interested in if anyone has actually owned or personally DJ'd on these Sonic Superstars?
http://www.funktion-one.com
OP

Daniel S
07-19-2015, 03:42 AM
There's a lot of hype around Funktion One, but they're just speakers. There's nothing magical about them. Basically any speaker within the same price range will have the possibility to sound really good. Like always it's about getting the right type of speaker for the job and tuning the system to the room. No brand will automatically do that for you.

Bill Fitzmaurice
07-19-2015, 08:12 AM
There's a lot of hype around Funktion One, but they're just speakers. There's nothing magical about them. +1, and from a technology standpoint they're rather obsolete. Big, yes, and expensive for sure, but not the least bit special. If one does want to use point source systems Danley Sound Labs leaves these in the dust.

wapples
07-19-2015, 08:18 AM
Valid points and what's with nightclubs having but kickers installed to dance floor?
OP

mitchiemasha
07-19-2015, 06:13 PM
There's nothing magical about them.
that comment was going to get a serious bashing... then you said

within the same price range
so all forgiven.

Because when compared to budget speakers there is a hell of a lot of Magic, well... Science about them, sh!t loads!!!

Probably a lot of newer systems put these legends to shame now.

The Blackest
07-21-2015, 01:31 PM
There is one in DC and its dope. One of my favorite systems to play on! If anyone ever parties in DC, check out Flash. Only other system in the area that compares is Uhall's which is down the street.

light-o-matic
07-21-2015, 02:46 PM
Funktion One is one of those brands that is really polarizing with lots of haters, because they are so overhyped, expensive, and have lots of fanboys.
But on the other hand, they do sound great.. which is why they get away with being overhyped and expensive.

As Bill points out, Danley is pretty great too.. and in many ways are more sophisticated designs than F1... But Danley's designs principles emphasize some of the same things that Funktion One does.. the idea of phasing through physical design and not with processing.. so it's not suprising that they would be compared. The Funktion One uses the big midrange phase plugs that their owner (Tony Andrews) used in his designs at his previous company, Turbosound.. it is visually distinctive which helps their marketing.. but also sounds good.

Anyway yea, it is a fact that Funktion One has no secret sauce in their design that other manufacturers couldn't and don't understand and use, however it is also a fact that their systems sound quite good and anything else at that level is also going to cost you a pretty penny, for example Void is great but also very expensive, Danley is, in terms of pro audio pricing, a bargain for what you get, but you are still talking mid 10's of thousands and up for even a modest club system, Meyer is expensive.. D&B is expensive.. all these top end brands are expensive.

If Funktion One is more expensive than other systems that are in the same league in terms of sound, it is because they had successful marketing and built a good name for themselves, and people are willing to pay that price. I hate overhyping and fanboy-ism but that is how the world works. But yea, they sound good.. you can't fault them there. So, those people who pay the price know that people are going to hear that name and it will be a draw, and then they will hear the sound and it will be good.. and it will pay.

At the moment, in Brooklyn, there is a highly hyped club, Output.. with a highly hyped Funktion One system.. two of them actually.. and yea I went to this club and it sounded really really good.. you know, I am more than a bit of a sound snob, but I could not complain. And yea, having a Funktion One system put this club on the map, and I know it has paid for them. A guy I know in Philly got rid of his EAW system in the past year, and invested in a F1 system, and he has it out working every weekend doing various warehouse parties etc.. and it sounds great.. and I'm sure he gets a nice fee for it, there is no doubt it will pay. So there ya have it.

Unknown DJ
07-21-2015, 04:14 PM
When buying a Funktion one system you not just buying some speakers you also getting someone to design and install your system it's also guarantee you will have a certain level of performance. You can can buy speakers from another but you will have no guarantee of what level of performance you will get.

Bill Fitzmaurice
07-21-2015, 04:30 PM
When buying a Funktion one system you not just buying some speakers you also getting someone to design and install your system it's also guarantee you will have a certain level of performance. You can can buy speakers from another but you will have no guarantee of what level of performance you will get.The same applies with Danley and for that matter anything else in that price range.

Unknown DJ
07-21-2015, 04:44 PM
The same applies with Danley and for that matter anything else in that price range.

I can some Danley sound labs speakers from ebay and brag I have a danley sound labs system. That statement is true but there is no guarantee on how it will sound. I can't just buy a funktion one F1 system.

Incognito
07-21-2015, 05:24 PM
I can some Danley sound labs speakers from ebay and brag I have a danley sound labs system. I can't just buy funktion one http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/funktion-one

Unknown DJ
07-21-2015, 05:37 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/funktion-one

I'm talking about a full F1 system. When a club says they have a Funkton One system you expect them to have a full system designed and installed by Funkton One.

Incognito
07-21-2015, 05:57 PM
I'm talking about a full F1 system. When a club says they have a Funkton One system you expect them to have a full system designed and installed by Funkton One.

Once you're paying that price range for a fixed install you're going to get it installed professionally anyway. You're not going to spend that kind of cash then break out your Swiss army knife & say "Now, where do I start?". If you want apples to apples then compare a complete Danley system professionally installed by his team vs Funktion One system installed by their team. Don't compare a randomly selected system put together by an armature vs a professionally selected system installed by professionals.

Evil Steve
07-21-2015, 05:58 PM
I can some Danley sound labs speakers from ebay and brag I have a danley sound labs system. That statement is true but there is no guarantee on how it will sound. I can't just buy a funktion one F1 system.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/funktion-one

I know what ya mean, but that was funny right there.

Incognito
07-21-2015, 06:06 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUNKTION-ONE-F-121-BASS-ENCLOSURE-SOLD-AS-A-PAIR-/361283842317

Bill Fitzmaurice
07-21-2015, 08:45 PM
I can some Danley sound labs speakers from ebay and brag I have a danley sound labs system. If you're buying Danley on eBay it's used.