PDA

View Full Version : What is all of this at Ultrafest

DJ Highline
04-01-2012, 03:28 PM
http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv67/DJ_Squared/523921_10150742187937660_578032659_226374041_65407 4892_n.jpg

I'm not talking about the 10 CDJ-2000s or the DJM Mixers or the Macbook or even the Clay Packy Sharpys or even the Robocams. I'm talking about that gigantic pile of cable spaghetti on the booth. Why are there so many cables and in such disarray? Its 3 DJ set-ups.

OK so lets look at it like this. Each set up has 3 - 4 CDJ-2000s and a Mixer. So that would be 3 -4 x RCA + Cat5 to network them, a power strip to turn them all on and a main stereo out and a booth stereo out. Throw in a few sound cards and USB cables for your DVS of choice and that's it.

Further more, why would the stage manager or the production company even let that fly on stage. That is just sloppy work period. And god forbid if you had a bad cable in that mess trying to track it down and replace it. I know its probably nit picking but that is just not acceptable.

P.S.
Whats with the V'Dosc Line Array monitors...a pair of 15" 3way tops and 18" Subs wouldn't be loud enough?

Budzak
04-01-2012, 03:45 PM
My guess is there's probably a crapton of DI boxes and wires going to different feeds and such there, along with redundancy out the ass. Oh, and stuff to handle VJing. I'm with you, it looks messy as shit, but I figure there has to be a good reason for it.

As for the monitors: I was doing photography at ETD POP last night, which was a NorCal event that took place in Oracle Arena (Among the performers: Dash Berlin, Sander van Doorn, Benny Benassi... HUGE show. Standing room only in a sports arena). After spending time in the DJ booth, I can tell you this for certain: The insane monitors are fairly necessary.

Era 7
04-01-2012, 03:51 PM
probably some of the cables are longer than needed. for the array monitors: they have rools underneath to move them around for the different setups. would be a bit of a pain in the ass to move a pair of tops and subs around for every dj that is coming up.

EDIT: also what Budzak said. i don't know what wattage the mainstage soundsystem was pushing but it sure was plenty so it wouldn't be easy to counter that with a few tops for booth monitors.

Connor
04-01-2012, 11:34 PM
I've never had a club gig (still a bedroom DJ until I get much better) but I'm so glad I use IEMs, I couldn't imagine the hearing damage one would get from simply using headphones+monitors at a festival such as Ultra (or anywhere for that matter). Shoot, I've felt uncomfortable using headphones in my own room due to how loud I've had to turn them up sometimes.

Era 7
04-02-2012, 04:11 AM
I've never had a club gig (still a bedroom DJ until I get much better) but I'm so glad I use IEMs, I couldn't imagine the hearing damage one would get from simply using headphones+monitors at a festival such as Ultra (or anywhere for that matter). Shoot, I've felt uncomfortable using headphones in my own room due to how loud I've had to turn them up sometimes.

hence why all of the DJs at festivals wear noise reducing earplugs :shrug: