PDA

View Full Version : Recording a mix onto a Mac from a DDM-4000

EA-350
04-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I did a search and couldn't find anything to help me please point me in the right direction if there is a thread that has already covered this that I missed.

I just want to be able to record the mixes I do using my Behringer DDM-4000 onto my mac as an audio file.

At the minute my setup is 2 CDJ 1000 MK2's, DDM-4000 going straight into my studio monitors.

Below is the back of the DDM-4000
http://www.djkit.com/images/products/DDM4000_rear.jpg

My computer set up is an iMac going into a Tascam US-200 (pictured below) going into my studio monitors.
http://www.werockcity.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/fc0a4ab1ascam_us200.jpg

Please if someone could tell me what connections are needed for me to be able to record my mixes on my computer, thanks in advance!!

g-sep
04-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Go from the Tape Out on the DDM 4000 to the Line In on the Tascam. Then in whichever recording software you are using, select the Tascam as the recording device. Also, set levels accordingly.

KLH
04-01-2012, 03:10 PM
BAM! Did you hear that? G-Sep just dropped some knowledge on you.

-KLH

Dave Daschofsky
04-02-2012, 03:18 AM
Use B out since you can control it separate from the master. I just use audacity and go from out B into my line in on my MacBook.

mostapha
04-02-2012, 04:09 AM
@dave, yeah…you don't really want to do that. You want to be able to see the level you're recording, and the best way to do that is to make it follow the master…figure out where you want the recording level…and pay attention to that meter while you're spinning…just like you always do.

Note: If you're used to peaking the **** out of your mixer, you'll probably have to get over that horrible habit before you get decent recordings.

EA-350
04-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Go from the Tape Out on the DDM 4000 to the Line In on the Tascam. Then in whichever recording software you are using, select the Tascam as the recording device. Also, set levels accordingly.

So I tried that out just now, tape out to Line on the Tascam.. but this is the result

http://soundcloud.com/ea-350/ddm-4000-recording-problem-for/s-jbrqr

I'm recording in Cubase because audacity won't open for me for some reason...the recording device is set to the tascam.....I have no idea why it's only recording the left side and why it sounds so awful, any ideas?

manoaboi
04-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Mostapha I don't understand why Dave's idea wouldn't work just fine - its the simplest way and he'd be able to see the levels that way on his mixer too. :confused:

EA-350
04-03-2012, 05:54 AM
Mostapha I don't understand why Dave's idea wouldn't work just fine - its the simplest way and he'd be able to see the levels that way on his mixer too. :confused:

My out A and out B are both used up though, they are both hooked up to each seperate monitor, so out A is going to my right monitor and out B is going to my left....am I missing something here :confused:

mostapha
04-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Is input 1-2 switched to ST?

danthedj
04-03-2012, 03:14 PM
just get a rca to 1/8" cable. then use the line-in on your mac.

mostapha
04-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Honestly, that's what I recommend if he can't get it sorted.

But, I've had nothing but horrible experiences with Tascam interfaces. I've always gotten them to work when I've had to, but they've never been worth the cost savings compared to a slightly better audio interface. I remember screwing with a 1641 or something for like 2 hours in PT 10 for a friend before it would even pretend to work. Every other card I tried worked in 5 minutes.

Subprime
04-03-2012, 05:18 PM
just get a rca to 1/8" cable. then use the line-in on your mac.

This.

Finnish_Fox
04-03-2012, 05:41 PM
@dave, yeah…you don't really want to do that. You want to be able to see the level you're recording, and the best way to do that is to make it follow the master…figure out where you want the recording level…and pay attention to that meter while you're spinning…just like you always do.

I use the booth out and use the meter on my AI or recording software to set the level. Once that's done, I can kill the master while recording to answer the phone, talk to someone I'm standing next to... or I can make it louder or softer to accomodate the time of day/neighbors... all without affecting the recording volume. Seems to work just fine for me... :shrug:

Finnish_Fox
04-03-2012, 05:44 PM
My out A and out B are both used up though, they are both hooked up to each seperate monitor, so out A is going to my right monitor and out B is going to my left....am I missing something here :confused:

That seems redundant. If I understand correctly (using RCAs), you have stereo (left right) going to one monitor through A and stereo (left right) going to the other monitor through B?

I would think output A gets split, with left going to left and right going to right monitors. Then B is used as your recording output, no?

@Mostapha... isn't the output B similar to the "recording" output on a DJM (as opposed to the booth monitor) which does follow the master level?

mostapha
04-03-2012, 06:37 PM
If you set up the volumes correctly, you can use any master out you want.

Personally, I like running off the main outs so I can see the level on the mixer and don't have to look at software or another piece of gear while I'm spinning…obviously looking at input meters for setting the initial levels. Tape/Rec/etc. outs work fine.

The B out on the ddm4k has a separate level control and no meter. If you only have one meter, I'd prefer it to be reading the output that's going to the recording medium instead of the one that's going to the speakers if you have to choose.

That's kind of the point of booth outputs…turn them off when you need to hear other things and don't affect the floor speakers (or recording input) and meter the signal that matters more.

Finnish_Fox
04-03-2012, 06:41 PM
The B out on the ddm4k has a separate level control and no meter. If you only have one meter, I'd prefer it to be reading the output that's going to the recording medium instead of the one that's going to the speakers if you have to choose.

Ah, so its more like the booth out.

That's kind of the point of booth outputs…turn them off when you need to hear other things and don't affect the floor speakers (or recording input) and meter the signal that matters more.

For sure... at a club. At home, my monitors are my main, so the booth is entirely unused.

Dave Daschofsky
04-03-2012, 08:31 PM

Not sure why you want to do that. Why aren't you just running output A left and right to your monitors? Are you running mains? If you're really strapped for outputs you can run full range through the sub out.

EA-350
04-07-2012, 05:28 AM
Not sure why you want to do that. Why aren't you just running output A left and right to your monitors? Are you running mains? If you're really strapped for outputs you can run full range through the sub out.

ok sorted this out - running both monitors off out A now...connected the line in of the Tascam to out B but still having the exact same problem as the soundcloud link I posted on previous page in regards to the audio.

I see your "use line-in on your mac" comments, but is there no way I can fix this whilst still using the tascam? I'd like to know if possible what's actually causing this?

Manu
04-07-2012, 05:56 AM
I am taking a wild guess, but it does sound like a short circuit in your signal path somewhere: check your cables. Now there's definitely no point going complicated while a simple line in connection should work. Plug a jack in and see what happens.

EA-350
04-07-2012, 06:32 AM
I am taking a wild guess, but it does sound like a short circuit in your signal path somewhere: check your cables. Now there's definitely no point going complicated while a simple line in connection should work. Plug a jack in and see what happens.

Just swapped the cable that I was using for a brand new one, still the same problem. Also it appears my Line 1 is recording left and my Line 2 is recording right....i'm using the red/white rca plugs (plugged into out B Left+Right) to a single jack going into lead 1...Am I doing something really basic wrong here?

Manu
04-07-2012, 06:39 AM
Plug a jack in the line in and figure out instantly if your tascam is the problem or not.

EA-350
04-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Plug a jack in the line in and figure out instantly if your tascam is the problem or not.

How do I figure out instantly lol? I plugged a jack in....

Manu
04-07-2012, 01:16 PM
I mean, plug the RCA out from your mixer into jack in the Apple mac line in.

manoaboi
04-07-2012, 02:54 PM
btw not to be confusing and don't know what kinda computer you're using but on regular macbooks the line-in and output are the same jack, and you have to switch them in the preferences. Macbook pros and imacs have a separate line-in jack to plug into. I've seen this confuse some people before

EA-350
05-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Ok I apologise for the extremely long reply to these. I went out and got the lead to connect the mixer straight into my Mac, it works perfectly! So is it likely that my Line In's on my Tascam are faulty?