PDA

View Full Version : Help buying/selecting a subwoofer

stratusncompany
03-31-2012, 11:32 PM
im sure this has been posted a billion times but i read a bunch pf threads and didnt see any related but i digress.

i am looking to buy a subwoofer for my setup. im a broke ass so i have about a $150-300 limit. connects with xlr from my mixer (behringer ddm4000). i prefer a powered sub but if it worth getting one that needs an amp, i am down. i want one that uses an XLR cable directly (if that is possible because i want to be able to have all my audio be controlled by my master output A.). if not, my mixer has an RCA output for master output B. thank you to the maximum if you can help me for this because i dont want to overpay/buy something that isnt that good! (like one of my cdj's lol.)

windspeed36
03-31-2012, 11:33 PM
Tell him he's dreamin' - The Castle

You cant even get a shit powered subwoofer for $150.

stratusncompany
04-01-2012, 12:03 AM
haha that was a funny response. well, ive been satisfied with my 250watt speakers but i have been starting to do small gigs recently and i wanna step up my audio with a sub. i guess i am basically asking what is the first runner up for an amp suitable for my speakers?

djscrizzle
04-01-2012, 12:39 AM
Go hit up the pawnshops and music shops for used gear, after checking out a few similar threads here. For amps I'd look at: QSC, Peavey, Crown in that order. Used (passive) subs could be Peavey, JBL, Cerwin-Vega!, Electrovoice, Community, or Carvin, not in any order.

windspeed36
04-01-2012, 12:44 AM
guess i am basically asking what is the first runner up for an amp suitable for my speakers? I'm going to attempt to translate this into English and still wonder what your meaning.. So...what? Are you meaning what's the minimum for a decent powered subwoofer? $900-$1100 can get you a used QSc KW181 or JBL PRX618S-XLF which are both good entry level subwoofers

stratusncompany
04-01-2012, 01:25 AM
Go hit up the pawnshops and music shops for used gear, after checking out a few similar threads here. For amps I'd look at: QSC, Peavey, Crown in that order. Used (passive) subs could be Peavey, JBL, Cerwin-Vega!, Electrovoice, Community, or Carvin, not in any order.

thank you for the help, i will do for sure!

stratusncompany
04-01-2012, 01:30 AM
I'm going to attempt to translate this into English and still wonder what your meaning.. So...what? Are you meaning what's the minimum for a decent powered subwoofer? $900-$1100 can get you a used QSc KW181 or JBL PRX618S-XLF which are both good entry level subwoofers

well, i am basically a bedroom dj so that says enough. anything to 1up a bedroom sub or good enough to power a small place like a restruant/bar/houseparty. sorry if im not vey savy with this, i have only dj'd for about a year with no help + havent fully researched with subs.

windspeed36
04-01-2012, 05:27 AM
If then have a look at either the B52 1000 or 2000 system or the EV ZXA1 + ZXA1 Sub combo for a small setup that's versatile

Evil Steve
04-01-2012, 06:03 AM
From what I'm reading, your problem is that you want to use a bigger/better system than you can afford to buy.
My suggestion would be that you rent equipment, pass the rental costs on to your customer, and put aside some of the remaining money you earned from every event. Use that money to buy good equipment when you have saved enough.
Probably the worst mistake a beginning deejay can make is to buy speakers. Until you know what you need the speakers for, there's no sense in buying. A good pair of speakers for a bedroom deejay are very different from a good pair of speakers for a deejay working in a small club or restaurant.