PDA

View Full Version : Tired of lugging... small system?

djtommyk
03-31-2012, 07:17 PM
I did an awards dinner last night (one that I do every year) with about 75 people in attendance. I brought in my two elx115p's and they were way over kill for the small room. The event is always mostly dinner music and announcements, then about 30-45 minutes of dancing (very close to my setup) at the end. Everything sounded fine, I just kept it at lower levels. The speakers almost looked out of place, though. Like they were too big for the room. This got me thinking. I do multiple events like this every year, including ceremonies. I need a smaller setup to bring to small events.

I started looking into a pair of EV zxa1s coupled with a zxa1 sub. Does anyone have any feedback about these tops and sub? The speakers are only 20 lbs, and the sub is small enough to put under any table. Not to mention the cost is pretty affordable at about $450 tops, $550 sub.

Will this small setup not cut it when it comes to dancing? Do these speakers get loud enough? Bringing in the 15's I know it'll handle, but if I don't have to lug and cart those speakers through a restaurant into the venues small banquet room, I don't wanna.

I'm going to Sam Ash tomorrow to demo just the tops. Probably won't be able to make a decision without either some other mobile dj's input, or hearing them live myself. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks Forum!

jayhwk
03-31-2012, 07:25 PM
That rig is perfect for that number of people. I just did a show with about a hundred people dancing with a Zx1 + Sb122 combo and I couldn't have been happier. The Zx1 is a really good sounding speaker if you know its limits. It looks nice and professional, too.

I brought the same rig to a live sound show where I didn't know there would be a drum set. About 50 in the audience, and the rig barely cut it. I'd bring something else next time. Speech, light music for a large audience, and loud music for a small audience are exactly what it's made for.

sss18734
03-31-2012, 10:32 PM
If you can up your budget to $1500, go with a used Bose L1 system. Only takes 5 minutes to set up and looks really clean and professional. They put out plenty of sound for small dance parties.

SummitAudioDJ
04-01-2012, 10:37 AM
I just bought a pair of M - Audio GSR10's for just the same purpose for a local venue friend. He just used them for a banquet of 80 people with dinner music and they worked great. Got him a small mixer, wired mic and all the cables for under $400. I did an 8 hour demo on them and they sounded great for the price and felt well constructed with no thermal shut down. Don't know why PSSL price cut them so much but $250 shipped for a pair of powered tens is a bargain. They also have twelves for $300 plus shipping / pair.

http://www.pssl.com/!2bjfUg1NYz2TQSLLDQ9uJQ!/M-Audio-GSR-10-250-Watt-10-2-Way-Powered-Speake--s

I personally use a pair of RCF ART 310A's for this purpos and don't see the need for a sub unless you are laying down some heavy bass tracks. They get every bit as loud as my 312A's but with less bass as expected from a 10.

Windows 95
04-01-2012, 10:52 AM
zxa1 sub.If that's anything like the ELX118P, it's a pretty weak sounding subwoofer. OK for Classic Rock & Country, but not so hot for Hip-Hip & current Top 40 music.

jayhwk
04-01-2012, 05:34 PM
If that's anything like the ELX118P, it's a pretty weak sounding subwoofer. OK for Classic Rock & Country, but not so hot for Hip-Hip & current Top 40 music.

The subs aren't alike. They're designed with different purposes in mind for very different kinds of systems - the ELX118P has an 18" driver and actually goes lower and gets louder than the ZxA1sub, but is still something of a "poor man's 18". It's also 70lbs.

The ZxA1sub is specifically a lightweight sub. It a 12" driver and won't go very low, but based on the performance of the EV Sb122, will fill out the sound of the 8" ZxA1 very nicely. It is 45lbs. It won't thump anyone's chest, but you will get a lot of useful low frequencies that you won't with a lightweight 8" or 10" speaker.

The ZxA1sub is for a rig where the buyer has decided that weight and portability is more important than chest-thumping bass. If you're expectations are in line and you know the trade off that you've made, a small sub like the Sb122 or the ZxA1sub is a very useful tool.

The ELX118 seems like a sub where the buyer wants chest-thumping bass but can't spend enough to buy equipment higher up in the product line.

djtommyk
04-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I never did go to demo the EV since they only had the top, and no sub.

I actually own the ELX118P and love it. We do mainly weddings and for the low weight, its perfect for what we do. And the price compared to other 18's is great!

I use the Bose L1 (original with 2 bass bins), and the Bose Compact regularly. My partner uses them. No complaints about their sound, but too pricey for me this time of year.

I went out on a limb last night and took SummitAudio's advice. For $250 a pair shipped, I couldn't pass on the M-Audio GSR10's. I see them being perfect for my application of small events with low level music, or to fly a speaker wirelessly to the back of the room. The EV's were an 8 inch speaker, and cost double that for one! I'm not saying they are going to out perform the EV's, since they probably won't. But for that price, even If I end up using them as office speakers, I couldn't pass up.

jayhwk
04-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I never did go to demo the EV since they only had the top, and no sub.

I actually own the ELX118P and love it. We do mainly weddings and for the low weight, its perfect for what we do. And the price compared to other 18's is great!

I use the Bose L1 (original with 2 bass bins), and the Bose Compact regularly. My partner uses them. No complaints about their sound, but too pricey for me this time of year.

I went out on a limb last night and took SummitAudio's advice. For $250 a pair shipped, I couldn't pass on the M-Audio GSR10's. I see them being perfect for my application of small events with low level music, or to fly a speaker wirelessly to the back of the room. The EV's were an 8 inch speaker, and cost double that for one! I'm not saying they are going to out perform the EV's, since they probably won't. But for that price, even If I end up using them as office speakers, I couldn't pass up.

We sometimes forget that we're in a business and that the best speaker is really the one that'll make the most money.

I'm sure your new GSR10s will pay for themselves quickly and generate some good profit!