PDA

View Full Version : High Tempo Dj-ing

Fourier
06-19-2015, 07:01 AM
Hello ,

My first post, starting of with a big - quite extensive - question.

I've been dj'ing quite a while now and I play on occasion at a local party in my hometown. At those local parties i notice a difference in comparison with the clubs in style of music. At clubs there's most of the time a steady beat and the DJ is beatmatching in an easy tempo. Songtransitions are quite slow. At party's (i hope you see the difference here) the music 'tempo' has to be a lot higher - the crowd wants to get from one climax to the other otherwise they loose their interest and go outside (talking or smoking).

Beatmaching is something i've quite mastered so providing a steady stream of music at a club is no problem. I get the techniques using Rekordbox to prepare my set (cuepoints, loops, grid-placing,...) and using these prepared songs on CDJ's.
A song is playing - i match the BPM from a new incoming song and throw it in in the outro of the playing song (or use the breakdown of the song or whatever...). I notice it also requires the typical house / electro music with the typical beat.

I've got a lot more difficulty at 'a party' where the DJ-ing tempo must be a lot higher. The problems; I haven't got time to beatmatch the next song, there is no 'beat'-intro or outro,...
What i do now is prepare my set in Audacity or Protools but that means that pieces of music are already put togheter (between 5 - 7 min parts). I know many people in the DJ world look down on that and i get that cause at the moment itself your not doiing quite a lot (it's even boring sometimes).

My question; is there a way you can extensively prepare your set but still do it on the spot and keep a very high tempo (tempo meaning the followup of songs not the actual BPM) ? - no time for beatmatching - throwing in a song at an exact moment without first que-ing it up , ..
I hope you get what i mean here, if not here is an example that maybe clears it out a bit ;

I am mixing at a party and I do a transition between these two songs ;

Look Right Through - Storm Queen AND Harder,Better,Faster,Stronger - Daft Punk. Quite easy, BPM isn't that different, the storm queen song has easy outro - Daft Punk song steady intro - cue it up and good to go.

then i have to mix these two songs :

The Monster - Eminem ft. Rihanna AND Hollaback Girl - Gwen Stefani. Both songs start and end with vocals , BPM is matchable but how do I match the beat but still start from the beginning from the song (looping the vocals from for example 'The Monster' isn't possible).

I realise it's not a quite concrete question but i hope some of you know where i'm getting at.

Any tips or tricks are welcome !

English is not my native language so sorry for the grammar/spelling mistakes.

Grtz ,

Fourier