PDA

View Full Version : Do you use any equipment just for "show"?

KLH
03-31-2012, 03:55 PM
This thread got me thinking:

I'm looking at everyone's setups and almost all of them have a lot of advanced looking equipment. Turntables and things that look like they simulate turntables...etc etc. How much of that is needed for party style dj-ing?

Do any of you use or display equipment just for "show"? An example would be having TTs that aren't connected to the mixer. Another example would be having multiple subs that aren't connected.

If you do have any such equipment, what is it and have you received any feedback on showing it?

-KLH

Defiance
03-31-2012, 04:00 PM
One party I had my secondary laptop (usually setup for our internet streams but internet was down) and I brought out my soundcard and mixtrack, ran it into an extra channel of my mixer and had some friends come up and mix VDJ on the mixtrack and we mixed in and out a bit. It was fun but it was more for looks though.

Quentin Legend
03-31-2012, 04:20 PM
You mean extra setup time?

No ways.

Synaxis
03-31-2012, 06:20 PM
You mean extra setup time?

No ways.

^^ This.

Why bring the extra equipment if your not going to use it? Just a waste of time if you ask me.

windspeed36
03-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Some of the time I do sorta - on my Soundcraft FX16ii I have an accompanying comp rack - 4 DBX 1066 comp gate limiters but I don't always use all 8 channels of comp so I guess that counts... but really, why bring gear you don't need?

DJ Matt
03-31-2012, 08:23 PM
sometimes yes

i mainly use a laptop with an mc6000, but i also have two denon 3700 and two technics

i wish i would use the 3700s more but the laptop has made them and the technics somewhat obsolete,
on occasion i will bring the 3700s or a technic and a few records, partly for luxury of using them but also on occasion i have hired photographers and it makes for nicer photos if they can see you handling the records etc....

but i also stock enough CDs and vinyl to do a full set with either should my laptop take a crap

i did a UV party in a house once and broagh the denon3700s with some UV slipmats (there was a guest Dj who used CDs so i still needed them) but the rest of the time i just had them on loop LOL

same goes for mobile gigs, when i have time i bring the 3700s incase customer has a CD they want me to play but also so they get the look of a "real Dj" :P

Guelphdjs
04-01-2012, 08:57 AM
^^ This.

Why bring the extra equipment if your not going to use it? Just a waste of time if you ask me.

Same here

Djjohnnybertone
04-01-2012, 09:26 AM
That honestly makes no sense to me. Why would someone bring extra equipment "just for looks". There's no point in bringing: 1. More weight, 2. More setup time, and 3. More things to get destroyed, incase someone decides to come back there and spill his drink all over your stuff.

Dave Daschofsky
04-02-2012, 01:04 AM
It's cramped enough in the truck without bringing stuff i don't need to use.

bumpyjonas
04-02-2012, 06:24 AM
Time and space is limited, no extra gear for show....

Silver Man
04-02-2012, 06:49 AM
The only equipment I bring for show is my lights, but then again, they are utilized. I always say that equipment does not make the DJ, the skills make the DJ. If I have to bring extra equipment, it just means it takes me more time to setup and tear down and not to mention, additional trips loading in and out. I concentrate on my job and bring the tools I need get it done.

wilson
04-02-2012, 09:25 AM
F that. I have some back up stuff by me, the rest stays in the trailer...but it's none of it's visible. Sounds like a waste of time.

DJ Donnie Lewis
04-02-2012, 10:05 AM
I have placed my subs without them on but for only 1 reason. I hate tripods and if I cant hide my tripod ill use my subs and sub poles to mount the tops. Realistically tho I owuld turn them on unless the venue was small.

Mrspyaman
04-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Actually I do use aluminum box trussing for larger events just as show because the cheaper black tripod trussing holds the same lights but it does look much better. Other than that no.

DJNR
04-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Sometimes I bring an extra laptop for Facebook or DJF, but other than that there's no reason to bring extra gear if you don't need it.

Sween
04-02-2012, 03:14 PM
One could argue lights or a facade are "for show"... but not what we're getting at I think. Also bringing something for backup is not purely bringing something "for show" either. So we are talking about "props"...

No I never have.

But you've got me thinking that I could bring a bunch of cardboard boxes painted like subwoofers to make my setup look more badass!

http://fumaga.com/i/fake-speaker-stacks.jpeg

DJNR
04-02-2012, 04:29 PM
I had no idea people did that.

Mrspyaman
04-02-2012, 04:41 PM
I had no idea people did that.
I did sound at a concert in Aloha stadium in 1998 with Approx. 80 speakers loaded in a pair of hanging walls of which only 10 were even wired.
I've seen a lot but that had to be the one that sticks out just because of the man hours and machinery used to lift it.

Brom
04-03-2012, 08:23 PM
http://fumaga.com/i/fake-speaker-stacks.jpeg

Ha! That reminds me of when I saw Ratt/Great White/Warrant at an outdoor in August 1989. Must have had something like 80 Marshall "cabs" per side. :)