PDA

View Full Version : What I did this weekend...

Al Poulin
06-14-2015, 08:29 PM
Hey guys, just a short video of one of my setups while providing sound for a dance recital. I do this regularly for a dance company in the area, and while the hours can be long, it's always a great time and I think the DXR8s over DXS12 system looks great in this setting. Don't mind the mess on my table, I'm in back of a black curtain. (turn up the volume - sound is pretty low)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiquJjcQYWo

Al

KLH
06-15-2015, 06:01 AM
Great video! I am surprised that you allow stuff to be put on your subs though. Those statues might vibrate off! LOL!

Al Poulin
06-15-2015, 06:55 PM
I usually don't let ANYONE put anything on my subs - especially drinks, but for this application, I wasn't real scared for my subs. I was more scared for the statues and their risk of vibrating off - which was not really my problem. :-)

Al

rhymes116
06-16-2015, 08:05 AM
Looks nice Al!

Capitan
06-16-2015, 01:50 PM
Very nice Al :)

Could I pick your brains a little?

I have a pair of RCF310A tops and once a month compere an event. During breaks I provide music, not earth shatteringly loud, and would like to fill out the bottom end if possible.

I don't DJ out anymore and don't charge for doing this, so can't justify the cost of an RCF sub, but I am wondering if one Yamaha DXS12 or DXS15 would be enough to round out the bottom end.

Alternatively, could you recommend a cheap sub that would do the job?

I know you own all the speakers mentioned so you are the obvious choice for advice.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Al Poulin
06-16-2015, 03:13 PM
Very nice Al :)

Could I pick your brains a little?

I have a pair of RCF310A tops and once a month compere an event. During breaks I provide music, not earth shatteringly loud, and would like to fill out the bottom end if possible.

I don't DJ out anymore and don't charge for doing this, so can't justify the cost of an RCF sub, but I am wondering if one Yamaha DXS12 or DXS15 would be enough to round out the bottom end.

Alternatively, could you recommend a cheap sub that would do the job?

I know you own all the speakers mentioned so you are the obvious choice for advice.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

What manufacturers do you have access to who's prices are reasonable? While a single DXS12 (with XTENDED LF engaged) would certainly fill in the lower frequencies up to pretty good levels with the 310As, there are possibly some other subs with high passed outs that could work as well all while being lighter and/or more compact. Even a ZX1A sub could do the trick if you don't need really high levels (where the tops could quickly outrun the sub)

Al

Capitan
06-17-2015, 02:26 PM
What manufacturers do you have access to who's prices are reasonable? While a single DXS12 (with XTENDED LF engaged) would certainly fill in the lower frequencies up to pretty good levels with the 310As, there are possibly some other subs with high passed outs that could work as well all while being lighter and/or more compact. Even a ZX1A sub could do the trick if you don't need really high levels (where the tops could quickly outrun the sub)

Al

Much appreciated Al :)

We get all of the major manufacturers over here (brands like Yorkville are hard to get) so if you have any suggestions feel free :)

The EV appeals due to its size, but I'd rather have a bit of headroom should I need it so the Yamaha DXS12 seems to fit the bill out of those two options. There isn't much between them in price - the Yamaha can be bought for around £500 - £525 over here.

Thanks for your help :)

Al Poulin
06-17-2015, 04:07 PM
Much appreciated Al :)

We get all of the major manufacturers over here (brands like Yorkville are hard to get) so if you have any suggestions feel free :)

The EV appeals due to its size, but I'd rather have a bit of headroom should I need it so the Yamaha DXS12 seems to fit the bill out of those two options. There isn't much between them in price - the Yamaha can be bought for around £500 - £525 over here.

Thanks for your help :)

If you don't mind the weight / size of the DXS12, it is an excellent perfoming sub with great output considering its price. You will likely need to reduce the gains on your 310As and have the one on the DXS12 close to full however to have a balanced sound, as there is a noticeable difference in gain sensitivity between the the RCF tops / Yamaha subs. (at the same gain setting, the Yamaha speakers generally require more signal from your mixer vs the RCF to produce a given SPL) It also depends if you are sending only a L or R signal to the sub or both a well. Basically, play around with the gains of your tops and sub at decent levels until the overall sound feels balanced.

Al