PDA

View Full Version : are their any known drum breaks that are royalty free?

PONTUS.2
03-30-2012, 11:44 PM
can i get sued if say i make money off of a beat utilizing the amen break? or is that sample fair game?

was wondering if there are classic drum breaks that people dont seem to care about others using? lately ive been on a quest to create music i can legally sell :rolleyes:

so im trying to see what the copyright status is on certain drum breaks like the funky drummer amen etc.

1point5
03-31-2012, 05:51 AM
you'd have to be extremely unlucky to get into any kind of trouble for using a classic break like the amen, I don't think anyone ever has before. It's even been sold as part of 'royalty free' sample packs despite it never being cleared.

Take a look at http://www.junglebreaks.co.uk/ - a great resource for similar breaks that have been sampled many times.

Hamza21
03-31-2012, 01:05 PM
Why would you want to use a sample that used a million times before?

mostapha
03-31-2012, 04:07 PM
Have you ever heard the amen break? It's kind of awesome. That's why.

Divercity
03-31-2012, 04:11 PM
Amen break dude. That short fill has driven the drum and bass culture for years.

Thank god for the winstons man.

Jalapeno
04-02-2012, 01:23 PM

The same reason its in all the music listed in your signature.

mostapha
04-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Also, Maschine comes with pre-sliced samples from Amen. They're labeled "70s dnb". It's rare that I put together a kit that doesn't include at least that rim click and one of the OH sounds.

jonistaken
04-03-2012, 11:50 PM
Have you ever heard the amen break? It's kind of awesome. That's why.

Amen.

Rothgery
04-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Amen break for president :tup:

Finnish_Fox
04-04-2012, 12:11 AM

Apparently you've never heard the amen.

EDIT... looks like it was covered. Some breaks will never die, the amen being #1 among them.

Hamza21
04-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Apparently you've never heard the amen.

EDIT... looks like it was covered. Some breaks will never die, the amen being #1 among them.

Apparently you haven't. I'm 40 years I've heard the amen break more times than I care to remember. There are far superior breaks out there if one would dig for them. As well as using the same old sample everybody else uses is plain laziness.