PDA

View Full Version : Laptop out ... Headphone Out?? Line Out?? or USB out thru my M-Audio Fast TracK??

Karma180
03-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Hi, newb here ... I'm looking for advice on the best quality using a laptop as the source for stereo files ... I want a balanced signal (does that matter??, cause I'm going to a mixer and mixing in live stuff with the beats/trax).

- I plug a mini-stereo male into my PC laptop, with the ohter end being a left 1/4 jack and a right 1/4 inch jack, which I plug into two different channels on my mixer, each panned hard, one left and one right

- it asks HeadPhones or Line ... which one should I choose , does it matter?

or

- I plug my M-Audio into a USB port on the computer; the M-Audio FastTrack then gives me a left and right out cable and I plug those in same as above

What is my best action for the best sound?

THanks,
ampnation
03-30-2012, 11:20 PM
The 2nd option is definitely the way to do it.

Balanced only matters during line transmission, not internally in your equipment. The reason for it is to prevent interference from EM noise over distance. The circuitry that converts to and from balanced will be just past the in or out jack on your equipment. It is desirable to have as much balanced signal run as possible but for short runs it isn't an issue. A run from a mixer to speakers 20 ft away are where you want balanced signal runs. In order to be balanced, both ends have to be balanced.

The signal going from your Fast Track to the mixer doesn't have to be converted unless you're running a long distance. If the Fast Track is within your reach when you're at the mixer, you're fine.

Depending on the type of mixer you're using, it may have a number of different kinds of inputs. The easiest, and perfectly acceptable one based on your setup would be RCA line ins. If your mixer has 1/4" inputs and no RCAs, they are probably balanced. I think then you would need a box between the two to convert the signal like the ART DTI not because it is critical to be using balanced vs. unbalanced, but because you need to match the type of signal it is expecting. However, you might read your manual and see if it will accept unbalanced inputs in this case. If you're using a DJ mixer it would be highly unusual for it not to have RCA inputs even if others exist. The fact you mention panning leads me to believe you might be using a live sound mixer. You should be able to use the tape in RCA's there if it has those. (My MixWizard does not. My other live mixers do)

I hope I've answered more questions than I've raised, but if not feel free to ask for more info. Listing your mixer model would help if you do.

Karma180
03-31-2012, 06:30 PM
The 2nd option is definitely the way to do it.

Balanced only matters during line transmission, not internally in your equipment. The reason for it is to prevent interference from EM noise over distance. The circuitry that converts to and from balanced will be just past the in or out jack on your equipment. It is desirable to have as much balanced signal run as possible but for short runs it isn't an issue. A run from a mixer to speakers 20 ft away are where you want balanced signal runs. In order to be balanced, both ends have to be balanced.

The signal going from your Fast Track to the mixer doesn't have to be converted unless you're running a long distance. If the Fast Track is within your reach when you're at the mixer, you're fine.

Depending on the type of mixer you're using, it may have a number of different kinds of inputs. The easiest, and perfectly acceptable one based on your setup would be RCA line ins. If your mixer has 1/4" inputs and no RCAs, they are probably balanced. I think then you would need a box between the two to convert the signal like the ART DTI not because it is critical to be using balanced vs. unbalanced, but because you need to match the type of signal it is expecting. However, you might read your manual and see if it will accept unbalanced inputs in this case. If you're using a DJ mixer it would be highly unusual for it not to have RCA inputs even if others exist. The fact you mention panning leads me to believe you might be using a live sound mixer. You should be able to use the tape in RCA's there if it has those. (My MixWizard does not. My other live mixers do)

Hi, We're using a Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro ... backing trax from the laptop into the Mackie, mix with live drums, synth, guitars, vocals ... so far we have only tried a mini-stereo out and selecting "headphones out" when Windows asks "Headphones or Line Out?" Is ther a difference between thos two signals (headphones and line)?

THanks man,
I hope I've answered more questions than I've raised, but if not feel free to ask for more info. Listing your mixer model would help if you do

Guelphdjs
04-01-2012, 09:53 AM
So you are using the laptop to play the back track while your band plays over it right?

I'm pretty sure the "line out / headphone" question it's related to your laptop sound card. Some sound cards don't call the "Line out" output "Headphone" that's just something that everyone defaulted to calling the line out on a laptop, if you have a desktop you can probably see the green output 1/8" jack and its probably called "line out"

http://res1.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/Windows%207/main/8440e487-7ae3-427b-a9b7-c861a5521758_69.jpg

There's only one output on your laptop and it's internal sound card are associated with the headphone jack unless you connect a external sound card like your M-audio interface. IMO if you are connecting the laptop to a external mixer and you are not looking to get a separate "headphone" output to mix with then just plug in straight and pick the headphone option and use the external mixer to adjust your levels. I doubt you will see a difference between the two for what you are using it for.

If you have the fast track then I would just use that I mean you have it so might as well use it and plug a set of headphones in the laptop and get a buddy to spin tunes between your sets!

Did I just make it even more complicated?

Karma180
04-01-2012, 11:16 AM
So you are using the laptop to play the back track while your band plays over it right?

I'm pretty sure the "line out / headphone" question it's related to your laptop sound card. Some sound cards don't call the "Line out" output "Headphone" that's just something that everyone defaulted to calling the line out on a laptop, if you have a desktop you can probably see the green output 1/8" jack and its probably called "line out"

http://res1.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/Windows%207/main/8440e487-7ae3-427b-a9b7-c861a5521758_69.jpg

There's only one output on your laptop and it's internal sound card are associated with the headphone jack unless you connect a external sound card like your M-audio interface. IMO if you are connecting the laptop to a external mixer and you are not looking to get a separate "headphone" output to mix with then just plug in straight and pick the headphone option and use the external mixer to adjust your levels. I doubt you will see a difference between the two for what you are using it for.

If you have the fast track then I would just use that I mean you have it so might as well use it and plug a set of headphones in the laptop and get a buddy to spin tunes between your sets!

Did I just make it even more complicated?

Haha, thanx (I think, in reference 2 ur "overcomplicated query!) ... so, in your opinion I wont gain any significant sound quality by using the USB cable (and the ASIO stuff) to the Fast Track to the mixer via RCA cables adapted to the 1/4 ins for my mixer channels panned hard left and hard right ; over the default Windows choices for Headphones out mini 1/8 stereo plug (a Y cable with two 1/4 inch male ends) straight into the board ... if there's not a big advantage to the USB set up the mini-cable option is way eaiser! Thanks, Karma

Guelphdjs
04-01-2012, 11:34 AM
In theory there's probably a difference, will you hear one using your system is the big question. Here's an example, If I'm missing a song or something I get it from I tunes if I'm stuck and play it off my iPhone. there's no audible difference in audio between my system running the Denon asio drivers and my phone. 1/8th cable to 1/4 straight in to your mixer is the straightest easiest method if you ask me.

ampnation
04-01-2012, 03:19 PM
When I switched from 1/8" connecting direct, and using the mobilepre via usb, the difference was quite noticeable. Whether that was due mostly to the laptop's internal soundcard or the connection, I'm not sure, but suspect strongly it is the soundcard. There's also the issue of the 1/8" connector being susceptible to introducing noise if it is bumped or the cable is shifted or pulled. With the USB connection, I've never experienced any such problems.

With the Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro, you have a pair of RCA Tape In connectors. Connect USB from laptop to Fast Track and RCA stereo from Fast Track to the mixer's tape in. Headphones can connect to the FastTrack or mixer. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking you won't hear the live instruments via the Fast Track headphone jack but you'll for sure hear everything using the mixer headphone jack. With the tape in, you won't need to pan channel's. If you're also using the tape out, make sure you read the manual's tape-in section about feedback loops, though it shouldn't apply to your case.