PDA

View Full Version : Suitable Controller?

coyote234
03-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Hello,
I am in the process of changing over to a computer for mobile DJing which I have been doing for 10+ years now (mostly weddings, anniversaries, etc.) and am looking for a controller & software that will meet my needs.
Specifications:
-software doesn't matter - have been looking at virtual dj or traktor
-needs to be portable and lightweight
-don't need to do a ton of fancy effects (coming from a dual cd player and mixer)
-would like to be able to hook up a dual cd player (if needed, and for the first few events I do off of a computer for 'back up' use of cds just in case)

--biggest thing - needs to have at least 2 separate mic inputs - are there any controllers that have 2 dedicated mic inputs so 2 people can talk and use them at the same time...if not, what would you suggest -- purchasing a small separate mixer? using my current numark cdmix 3 (if that would work)?

Have been looking at Hercules RMX (which has been around since 2008) or Traktor S2 --any recommendations? other options?

I've heard the microphone output (loudness) is not good in the RMX?

Thanks!

DJ Matt
03-31-2012, 07:46 AM
i use the Denon MC6000 and i would recommend it for this purpose, sure all the controllers have lots of functions that you may or may not use, but they are layed out pretty nicely on that unit, which will eventually probably result in you utilising them :)

as i do, you can opt to just take the mc6000 with you on its own to a gig, (with an ipod or a seperate laptop for backup) or you can bring along CD players/turntables and hook them up to it.

i also have a RMX but i would not recommend it for mobile gigs simply because its dependent 100% on your laptop and the inputs are also routed through the computer, the sound isnt as good.
you would need an external mixer if you want to hook up CD players, and thats just more hassle for you.

the MC6000 has XLR outputs so if you have active speakers your connecting straight to them and no need for extra gear

and it has two mic inputs, both have 3 band EQ (and echo effect lol)

i have been using it with virtual DJ .
in my humble opinion thats probably the easiest to transition to from CDs, it was for me the easiest one coming from vinyl, but others may disagree

MeowMix
03-31-2012, 09:30 AM
Mc6000 is probably the best controller/standalone mixer for mobile.
Xlr outputs, 2 mic inputs with volume and eq for each, independent assignable booth outs, built like a tank. You can probably find one used for 600-650.

Gjhowe1
03-31-2012, 11:22 AM
+1 for the Denon, quality products. I was at an event last year (formal dance) and the DJ was using one of these, two mics, sounded very nice. Its also rackmount equipped.

DjAaron
03-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Yup the Denon is the best one to go with. I have had the VCI 300, Numark Mixdeck, RMX, VMS4, MC6000. Out of all the controllers that I have tryed and played with and owned the MC6000 was the best one for my needs. I really like how compact it is and how it is a stand alone. You can use it with Traktor Pro 2 like I will be doing again or you can use the VDJ LE it comes with.

I sold mine last year due to a injury but I just ordered it again and will be here tuesday and I can't wait to get back mixing with it again. I really liked how the faders felt and the buttons are all rubber and even the knobs are to! the booth output for me was the major plus since I use a studio monitor to be able to hear what is on the dance floor better. I also liked the Mic section on how you have talk over and echo if you ever wanted to use it.

Can't go wrong with it at all!

KLH
04-01-2012, 08:57 AM
While the Denon MC6000 is a great controller/mixer, there are other solutions. Just pick a controller that you like and consider adding a compact mixer (like the Mackie 402Vlz3). Going this route might save money and/or give you the flexibility that using only a controller might not.

-KLH

punky
04-03-2012, 02:47 PM
I have a VMS4 that might work okay for that, but I've heard some people have had horror stories.