PDA

View Full Version : Second Laptop for Lighting

Johnnotestine
03-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Anyone have suggestions for a second laptop to be used almost exclusively with Freestyler DMX software? Make/Model # or a link would be great.

I was thinking a simple netbook since the running requirements should not be too much. I have the Enttec Pro DMX interface so the laptop should not have to do much of the heavy lifting for the DMX work.

My current laptop is a Macbook Pro running Windows XP in bootcamp. I am running Windows to take advantage of the video and freestyler plugins that work with VDJ.

I want to be able to link the computers together for sound to light functionality.

Johnnotestine
03-31-2012, 01:25 AM
Anyone else using a designated lighting laptop? I am hoping I can score a decent one for about $300.

Whines
03-31-2012, 09:56 AM
Almost anything should be fine. I use old PC laptops and have never had a problem with them not being fast enough for the application.

The tiny screen on a netbook may be a limitation, though, I saw someone complaining about that (in the context of Freestyler use) at some point.

sse
03-31-2012, 11:15 AM
I was going to use a net-book to run Freestyler, but like said above, the screen turned out to be too small.

So I am just using an old compaq laptop, 2GHz processor, 500MB ram, and a 17"screen...works great.