PDA

View Full Version : Lightning. Where to get started

Dj Slice
03-30-2012, 02:22 PM
I want to incorporate some lighting into my set up, but don't really know where to start. I'm not looking for anything to crazy or expensive. Any suggestions?

Flight
03-30-2012, 03:04 PM
there's about 8 million different types of lights. pick one or two. now you've been started...
a semi-quality fixture with a fair price tag, that is basic and serves mulitple needs, would be something like a Chauvet SlimPar64 LED (even though i personally have some reservations about the quality of Chauvet products, they are a fair price, and seem to perform OK, but for how long is usually the issue) and, since i can't quite cough up a multiple thousand dollars for a rig full Martin 500 wash's, the chauvet's will have to do :)

the only comparison most people do when purchasing lights is whether or not the light is DMX or not.
a DMX fixture is one that can be communicated to with a computer for programmed light shows.
a non-DMX fixture will typically have sound mode (built-in mic to 'listen' for the rhythm, will follow with random light actions on beat), and/or auto-mode (complete randomness to the light actions, no sound 'listening')

my best tip of advice is to watch manufacturer videos of what certain lights do, to decide what types of fixtures you're personally interested in. then, get off the manufacturer's site, and try to find some videos of the same fixture on youtube. (********** examples on youtube videos tend to be less 'exaggerated' then manufacturer-made videos, which only show the light being used in 'ideal conditions')

as with most commercial products, you usually get what you pay for... lighting is no exception. an entry-level fixture may be only $100, and may have some fancy functionality, but will likely be low-quality in terms of light performance, and low quality in terms of build-quality.
some quality fixtures can drain you over $4000 per fixture... but you'll get a fixture that is spectacular in lumens & performance, and likely a very high quality fixture that won't break down on you 20 minutes before a show...

the first question you should decide is: do i want DMX control or not? do not discount considering future expansion of your lighting rig
what you start with will likely be the basis of what the rest of your potential future rig will be based on, therefore make sure you purchase lights .that 'make sense' towards what your 'end goal' rig is envisioned to be. i've seen far too many friends waste WAY too much money buying useless lights that do not 'jive' with the rest of their rig, and in the end they ended up with $10000 rigs that are just confusing, unorganized flashing chaos....hardly attractive to a crowd.

another very important consideration with lighting: you are going to have to mount the fixtures to something. trussing is by far the most popular method, however there are other options depending on your situation.

also, consider that each fixture you buy will come with an AC power cable that is likely less then 5 feet long, hardly long enough in most any situation.) most light fixtures have an AC-in, and and AC-out, so that you can 'daisy-chain' the AC cables for the fixtures together, but you may still need extensions in certain areas. DMX cables (if you go the DMX-route) can be bought in any variety of lengths to connect. DMX is strung through the rig in 'daisy-chained' fashion.

what i do for connectivity, is just buy 100m rolls of wire to make my own AC cords & extensions, and 100m rolls of XLR wire (same as DMX), and buy a bunch of male and female DMX ends (same as XLR), and make my own connections to custom lengths. i find it cheaper then buying pre-made lengths, and more convenient to make wires that perfectly fit your rig. just label them properly at first setup, then every time after when you re-construct the rig it is very simple and less time-intensive.

NOTE: though DMX and XLR appear the same, and use the same ends, and the same cabling, there is actually one wire crossed inside that makes the DMX and XLR wires different. and XLR cable will not work being plugged into a DMX socket until the ends are pulled off and the appropriate wire is crossed.

also note, with DMX, it is important to terminate your last DMX connection.
this termination procedure can usually be found in every user-manual included with a DMX light fixture.

hope this made sense!
if you have any questions, feel free to ask! i'll try to respond in due time :)

thehadgi
03-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Try standing under a tree in a rainstorm for starters

/troll. sry had to ;)

djscrizzle
03-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Try standing under a tree in a rainstorm for starters

/troll. sry had to ;)
Or all by yourself in an open field with a golfclub, or on a tall hill all alone. (Insert pic of trollface here)

DJRoladecks
03-30-2012, 04:23 PM
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?340-DJ-Lighting-The-Complete-Evolving-Guide

... Is a great guide. I personally would start with something like the Chauvet Colorstips or use Zipper lights, from Bill of Entertainment Systems. Basically a general wash lighting that can work as a little eye candy on the side. Run them sound active or DMX. Grab a light tree or two and from there fill in an effect fixture or two (tons to choose from). This can be done relatively on the cheap and can be incorporated to a larger setup if you decide to grow your lighting gear.

Johnnotestine
03-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Or all by yourself in an open field with a golfclub, or on a tall hill all alone. (Insert pic of trollface here)

I'd start by protecting my equipment from it. Surge protectors or even better, Furman Power conditioners.

:lol:

windspeed36
03-30-2012, 05:00 PM
I'd start by protecting my equipment from it. Surge protectors or even better, Furman Power conditioners.

:lol:
Forman power conditioners do shit all. They are merely a surge protector (found in any power strip) with a voltage reading and a whole heap of power outlets that can be rack mounted. True power conditioning costs a lot more

Johnnotestine
03-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Forman power conditioners do shit all. They are merely a surge protector (found in any power strip) with a voltage reading and a whole heap of power outlets that can be rack mounted. True power conditioning costs a lot more

I wasn't actually trying to get into that debate, although I do feel some of the higher end Furman conditioners are indeed nice than surge protectors.

Ntertainment
03-30-2012, 09:13 PM
I agree you need to do some wash lighting the chauvet color strip seems to be a good choice, but idk how most people here store the, I'm having a hard time deciding how to store mine. If you want to go simple and easy and always have a very easy option, Invest in the 4 bar by chauvet. I own a lot of lighting and i'm still considering getting one of these, because of how easy they are. There are a lot of places that don't pay for the nice lights so why should i be getting them out all the time?? The 4 bar is the answer, ultra portable and provides some light.

ampnation
03-30-2012, 09:31 PM
idk how most people here store the, I'm having a hard time deciding how to store mine.

An appropriately sized flight case trunk? :shrug:

Ntertainment
03-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Ok i currently store it in a odyssey case but i find them so differently shaped than any other light that it makes it hard to keep them with other lights is all i meant.

djknowledge
03-31-2012, 05:20 AM
saw some chauvet 4plays in action at a baby shower. Seems they got the job done lol get yourself a nice stand and a couple lights and you'll be fine. links are for the items on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200678886201?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3188wt_1165

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chauvet-Cirrus-Laser-and-LED-effect-/280675770458?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3D UA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D220950567044%26ps%3D63%26clk id%3D7387087650847170222#ht_4032wt_1110

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180827601324?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Ampedproductions
03-31-2012, 09:32 AM
I run a 4bar/4 play combo. Works real nice. Adj micro galaxian on the table. Quick and easy setup. Works great

Brom
03-31-2012, 04:21 PM
Is it worth it to step up to the brighter 4BarTri? Seems like it would be but I've read where some people think it's TOO bright compared to the regular 4Bar. Maybe use an opaque gel with it?

Synaxis
03-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Is it worth it to step up to the brighter 4BarTri? Seems like it would be but I've read where some people think it's TOO bright compared to the regular 4Bar. Maybe use an opaque gel with it?

Yep, it will look better, because you won't get LED shadowing, and if it's to bright just put it up higher. Better it be too bright, then not bright enough in a larger venue.

You can always diffuse the heads with some gels like you mentioned.

Synaxis
03-31-2012, 06:28 PM
I agree you need to do some wash lighting the chauvet color strip seems to be a good choice, but idk how most people here store the, I'm having a hard time deciding how to store mine.

Gun cases work nicely for strip type wash lights. Just mark them with something so that people don't assume your carrying a gun.