PDA

View Full Version : Machine v Maschine Micro?

Inferno
03-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Hey guys

I am producing hip hop and looking to get a maschine as it seems the best tool for the job.

Question is for hip hop production (also other genres) is it worth paying double for a maschine over the micro? And if i get the micro can I later upgrade by buying a used Machine and just plugging it in?

Thanks for any help with the comparisons and what will do the job, any comment on them overall would also be useful over just a computer mouse and keyboard + musical keyboard.

Thanks!

noize_unit
03-30-2012, 02:12 PM
I do not own either, but from research of my own, the workflow is much better on the big brother with the extra display and knobs, but the mikro's button have a better feel to them and i believe that they both come with the same software (anyone correct me if im wrong) also depends on what your doing with it, mikro is obviously smaller so ez-ier to lug around but the big brother isn't too bulky so that point might be moot. in the end you might save yourself some cash by just saving up and getting the full blown maschine, its on my list of equip to get too :D

Inferno
03-30-2012, 02:20 PM
thanks, space isnt an issue and i could go buy either right now but im just trying to justify the money which I cant really at the moment whilst I can basically do the same thing with a mouse and keyboard on my daw.

Inferno
03-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Also guys, to any owners, I was trying out the software and wondered, when i make a loop in a group can I export each instrument as Midi? I see I can drag the whole loop over into my DAW but then i cant separate it into separate tracks for EQ etc, so for example I want 1 midi track as the kick, 1 as the snare etc. Is that possible? I can only get everything on 1 track. Also I dont really want to export them all as separate audio and drop them into the daw as then they will be effected by any alterations to BPM which is common to fit with vocals in hip hop. Thanks!

Ryan Ruel
03-31-2012, 10:21 PM
I don't think you can separate out each sound in a group, but I think if you're trying to do that your workflow is probably a bit off. Maschine is powerfull enough on its own to get your sound right for a drum kit.

As for your purchase, the full one is worth the money as you can control the program without touching your mouse, it's way easier for effects parameters, etc.

Inferno
04-01-2012, 06:19 AM
I don't think you can separate out each sound in a group, but I think if you're trying to do that your workflow is probably a bit off. Maschine is powerfull enough on its own to get your sound right for a drum kit.

As for your purchase, the full one is worth the money as you can control the program without touching your mouse, it's way easier for effects parameters, etc.

I went ahead and bought one, my point is in the DAW when doing drums I throw them down in individual audio clips, 1 per channel then I can EQ that specific group of samples in the kit. With all in one like the maschine how do I get as good EQ on each element when they'll be applied to the entire kit...

Ryan Ruel
04-01-2012, 06:58 AM
I went ahead and bought one, my point is in the DAW when doing drums I throw them down in individual audio clips, 1 per channel then I can EQ that specific group of samples in the kit. With all in one like the maschine how do I get as good EQ on each element when they'll be applied to the entire kit...

Ah, I think you are missing a key feature in maschine.

On the parameter page, above the main window you have three tabs: Master, group, and sound.

You have 4 "slots" if you will for a source or plug-in, then 3 effects.

Master applies to the entire project, group for the whole group (kit in your case), and sound. If you want to EQ a kick, select the kick sound number, click the "sound" tab, and add an EQ. It'll only affect that sound.

Inferno
04-01-2012, 07:13 AM
Ah, I think you are missing a key feature in maschine.

On the parameter page, above the main window you have three tabs: Master, group, and sound.

You have 4 "slots" if you will for a source or plug-in, then 3 effects.

Master applies to the entire project, group for the whole group (kit in your case), and sound. If you want to EQ a kick, select the kick sound number, click the "sound" tab, and add an EQ. It'll only affect that sound.

ah ok so i can individually EQ each sound from within maschine then export the midi with all the EQ already on it? can I use my own VST EQ within maschine for that?

Ryan Ruel
04-01-2012, 07:19 AM
ah ok so i can individually EQ each sound from within maschine then export the midi with all the EQ already on it? can I use my own VST EQ within maschine for that?

You can use your own VST EQ yes.

What do you mean export MIDI, you'd be exporting audio, no?

Try spending some time in Maschine. Nothing but Maschine, no DAW for a while. In fact, maybe even avoid plug-in's for now and try out what Maschine itself has to offer.

You can make full tracks in Maschine. It's a totally different workflow.

Inferno
04-01-2012, 07:27 AM
You can use your own VST EQ yes.

What do you mean export MIDI, you'd be exporting audio, no?

Try spending some time in Maschine. Nothing but Maschine, no DAW for a while. In fact, maybe even avoid plug-in's for now and try out what Maschine itself has to offer.

You can make full tracks in Maschine. It's a totally different workflow.

well i like to export the track as midi as then if i want to alter the BPM to fit a vocal I dont have issues stretching audio clips to fit. I will try and use it as stand alone for a while until I have worked it out. Is the sample library as great as everyone says? I am used to vengance samples at the moment but this library seems to have everything you would ever need in it?

Ryan Ruel
04-01-2012, 07:34 AM
well i like to export the track as midi as then if i want to alter the BPM to fit a vocal I dont have issues stretching audio clips to fit. I will try and use it as stand alone for a while until I have worked it out. Is the sample library as great as everyone says? I am used to vengance samples at the moment but this library seems to have everything you would ever need in it?

It has a great sample library, but also a great sampler for chopping and slicing your own loops as well.

Did you get the mikro or full?

One thing I would suggest, learn how to do (nearly) everything without using your mouse.

It's amazing how quickly you can zip around with just the controller.

Inferno
04-01-2012, 07:36 AM
It has a great sample library, but also a great sampler for chopping and slicing your own loops as well.

Did you get the mikro or full?

One thing I would suggest, learn how to do (nearly) everything without using your mouse.

It's amazing how quickly you can zip around with just the controller.

went for the full one, yea i am interested in cutting up a track into samples and making a new one but think thats going to take some practice to get as good as the people on youtube. So if i plug my midi keyboard into it I can use it as a sampler as well?

Ryan Ruel
04-01-2012, 07:43 AM
You can use your midi controller with it yes.

Try loading a loop into the sampler and then learning how to use the edit/slice/map panes.

Inferno
04-01-2012, 07:46 AM
You can use your midi controller with it yes.

Try loading a loop into the sampler and then learning how to use the edit/slice/map panes.

Ok thanks for the help, seems like a pretty good bit of gear for production !

mostapha
04-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Okay…to answer some questions.

First, yes, the Maschine is worth buying over the Mikro…and I've used both. I own a Maschine and have a friend with a Mikro. Also, along similar lines, yes, you can buy used Maschine hardware and plug it in…the software doesn't care.

I realize the OP bought one. Maybe that can help people who find this thread when searching.

Now…as for basically everything else in this thread, there's a 2-step process to answer all of your questions.

Step 1. Learn the difference between MIDI and Audio. You think you know what it is, but I'd bet money you don't. It's a weird concept. No one gets it at first. Think of MIDI as the roll that goes into a player piano…not the piano itself.

So, no, you can't export a beat as MIDI. I mean…you can. But it's a PITA because no one would ever do that. It also wouldn't sound like anything and would basically be worthless. Might as well keep the beat as a Maschine project file and use the tempo knob if your example was the only reason.

Step 2. RTFM.

Maschine's manual is pretty good, and all of your questions are answered somewhere in it. I'm pretty sure the answer to all of your "can I……" questions is "yes, it's in the manual."

Inferno
04-03-2012, 03:28 PM
hey guys, wanted to bump this as i just got my maschine.

Whats the quickest way to learn it all? Ive got some basics down but still finding it hard to see how the maschines screens relate to the menus and still not getting a lot of the software features. I know read the manual but i dont have time on week days so am using youtube and google. Can anyone recommend a series of vids or something that will help me build a good knowledge whilst i read through the manual?

Thanks guys!