PDA

View Full Version : Laser Safety Question

Ryan Ruel
03-30-2012, 09:50 AM
I have a Chauvet GBC laser and run the standard DMX patterns. It's mounted up around 10-11 feet off my floor, but the patterns still scan "down" to the floor. It has a 30mW green diode and a 40mW blue diode, but uses fat beam to spread out the beam to 5mW max. It's therefore variance free.

I've seen videos of the XLaser Mobile Beat RGB, and it looks amazing. It's much more powerful, and does require a variance. My question is that if you run it with DMX patterns, wouldn't it also scan "down" to the floor when mounted up high? Is that even safe?

Or is the intent you'd always run this thing with ILDA unless it was pointed off into space?

disbjohn
03-30-2012, 10:30 AM
When you run it dmx, you can limit the x/y distances. You can also use beam blockers that they provide you with to help prevent it from aiming laser at anybody. With such lasers, you should never scan down to the floor and make sure the laser beams are at least 10 ft above people

Mystic
03-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Any type of crowd scanning in the USA is illegal, so you cannot hit the crowd at all. Technically, this also includes lasers lower than 5mW, however, the risk factor is lower with them.

Nick_EventPro
03-30-2012, 11:04 AM
I have a Mobile Beat RGB, and I always run it with ILDA.

It's important to do all pre-show checks, install beam blockers, and run through tests to make sure there are no reflective surfaces in your venue that might act as bounce mirrors. As others have said- you cannot crowd scan.

And yes, it is amazing in small to midsized venues. Larger venues call for the skywriter line. Also, their new POD system is sweet. I was at their shop last week hanging out with a few of the guys and they were showing me some of the new toys.

Synaxis
03-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Some good information here.

I would never point a laser at a crowd, but I never actually knew it was illegal.

And the Mobile Beat RGB looks amazing! But it costs a pretty penny too.

Nick_EventPro
04-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Yeah, the X-Lasers are pretty cool...

Check the video. =) Done with X-Laser running Pangolin.

http://www.facebook.com/v/10100374950762645

and some animations...

http://www.facebook.com/v/10100374959714705

disbjohn
04-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Yeah, the X-Lasers are pretty cool...

Check the video. =) Done with X-Laser running Pangolin.

http://www.facebook.com/v/10100374950762645

It says video unavailable

Nick_EventPro
04-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Try now, i think it had something to do with my privacy settings on facebook.

The videos were taken with a cameraphone... dont judge quality too much.

disbjohn
04-04-2012, 01:20 AM
Try now, i think it had something to do with my privacy settings on facebook.

The videos were taken with a cameraphone... dont judge quality too much.

man Nick, now I really want to get the quickshow. Is it easy to program? Also, Can I create a scene in quickshow, and then load it into one of the open DMX channel values?

Nick_EventPro
04-04-2012, 10:14 AM
man Nick, now I really want to get the quickshow. Is it easy to program? Also, Can I create a scene in quickshow, and then load it into one of the open DMX channel values?

Oh, its a really powerful program. Yes, it's super easy to work with- actually its designed so you can install it and get it running right away. There are tons of premade animations and aerial fx. The first time I ever worked with it, literally, I installed the software, plugged the laser in, and started clicking playback buttons and was projecting animations on the wall. You can do custom text, import logos/pictures and "trace" them with the laser, all kinds of cool stuff.

QuickShow comes with a dongle, and its run on ILDA, so you can't run it inside another DMX program. You can use MIDI to trigger, but what I do is have my main DMX controller running on a 24in. touchscreen all-in-one, and then I have pangolin running on a second touchscreen right next to it so its all side by side and integrated nicely.

Let me know when you're ready to pull the trigger on Quickshow- I can get that for you no problem!