PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of trying MIDI with my DJM-800

whiterob
03-30-2012, 09:45 AM
I have heard some bad things, (delay) but some good things with going midi with a DJM-800, and would like some advice before I buy a cable etc.

well first off, my gear consists of just 2011 MBP, CDJ-400's, DJM-800, NI Audio 8, (as well as other stuff, but this is the main rig) So do I go from the midi out or whatever it is on the mixer to the midi plug on the Audio 8? or do I need to get a seperate midi to usb or firewire or whatever?

Thanks in advance.

Cardell
04-08-2012, 03:04 AM
Yes all you need is a cable from the midi out on the mixer to the midi in on the Audio 8. You the configure the Audio 8 as the controller in Traktor (it's the Audio 8 that has the USB-midi handling tasks, the djm just sends the signals).

DJNR
04-08-2012, 04:56 AM
Couldn't you just get a Midi-to-USB cable? That seems like it would be easier than having to go through the Audio 8.

DJ STU-C
04-09-2012, 11:59 AM
I've tried it and I'm not keen, for example if you want to use the fader start buttons as track load buttons you have to press them twice, once to activate the track load then a second time to turn the button back 'off' in order to use it the next time you need to. it's pretty bad in my opinion but you might want to give it a try for the sake of the price of a midi to USB cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJNR
04-09-2012, 01:57 PM
I've tried it and I'm not keen, for example if you want to use the fader start buttons as track load buttons you have to press them twice, once to activate the track load then a second time to turn the button back 'off' in order to use it the next time you need to. it's pretty bad in my opinion but you might want to give it a try for the sake of the price of a midi to USB cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you using it to map Traktor? Are you sure it isn't your mapping?

Phi
04-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Are you using it to map Traktor? Are you sure it isn't your mapping?

I agree, if you are using Traktor then it sounds like you need to duplicate the control in question, invert it, and change the direction to off. This sets up a second command registered by the button release to turn whatever back off.

B3NNY
04-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Makes sure the type is set to button and the interaction mode is set to trigger or toggle or some ish like that

DJ STU-C
04-09-2012, 02:55 PM
it was on serato and i was a bit of a beginner with the whole midi thing at the time so maybe that had something to do with it. i ended up using it to trigger samples and load tracks in the end, oh and i had one of the filter knobs for scrolling my library

whiterob
04-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Yes all you need is a cable from the midi out on the mixer to the midi in on the Audio 8. You the configure the Audio 8 as the controller in Traktor (it's the Audio 8 that has the USB-midi handling tasks, the djm just sends the signals).

Couldn't you just get a Midi-to-USB cable? That seems like it would be easier than having to go through the Audio 8.

Wouldn't it be better to use the midi to midi on the audio 8, to lower the number of drivers needed. (Usb to middi I assume would need a driver for the converter, and the DJM)???

Cardell
04-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Wouldn't it be better to use the midi to midi on the audio 8, to lower the number of drivers needed. (Usb to middi I assume would need a driver for the converter, and the DJM)???

Yes it would, which is exactly what I wrote. Since the A8 has midi in I recommend using it.

whiterob
04-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks, yeah, I was just trying to clear the confusion of DJNR asking about a usb to midi adapter. Going to order a cable tonight for S&G's