PDA

View Full Version : The Turntable Zoolander

ChrisHynds
04-14-2015, 04:35 AM
Ok so I have a minor issue when mixing on my TT's and was wondering if anyone else struggles with this.

One of the big jokes in the movie "Zoolander" is the fact that he can only turn one way on the cat walk, he cant turn left, well I have the same issue when mixing on my TT's, I can only seem to use my right hand to cue the platter and drop the track in live, every time I use my left, I'm heavy handed and pretty shit with timing the drop. I guess this will come the more I use them.

Its been ages since I mixed on Vinyl properly, but am getting back into my oldschool Hip Hop and Older Trance tracks again so decided to have a play and found out that I'm pretty retarded with my left hand.

It's not a major issue, just makes it a tad awkward when dropping a track in on the left deck, I have to use my right hand and bend weird to get the crossfader with the left, hahah I look pretty special at this point.

Does anyone else have this issue??

Irrational_Fear
04-14-2015, 08:05 AM
It's just practice Chris, force yourself to use your left hand when using the left TT and before long you will wonder whatever the problem was!

Manipulating a record on a TT is actually a fairly limited set of motions so you'll get comfy with it in no time- it is not like trying to learn to write with your weak hand.

That said, in all the years I've used turntables I still can't ride the pitch on a TT with my left hand. It's like everything is backwards!

randyseidman
05-07-2015, 11:56 AM
Nice stuff, thanks for sharing!