PDA

View Full Version : Technics 1200 Ground Wire Question

DJBOJAN
03-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Hello,

What is the positives/negative so internally grounding the wire? For the people that have done this mod, has it been worth it? I plan on using a Rane 57sl with my setup.

Thanks

Estacy
03-30-2012, 12:27 AM
I have internally grounded my Technics, no problems so far. make sure the tiny cables from the tonearm can still move freely. make sure the ground wire is as short as possible. If you take a bit of care, its a 20min job that is well worth the effort

djlotus
03-30-2012, 02:24 AM
Make sure you ground the tonearm properly or any DVS will give you issues.

Don't worry about lag in the wires as much as you worry about good connections.

I advise against internal grounding because you don't know it went bad until its too late. If you're too lazy to hook up a wire to a screw you shouldn't own turntables.

DTR
03-30-2012, 02:57 AM
If you move your decks around a lot then the ground wire can be prone to damage. In that case it's worth doing. If you keep your decks at home and never move them then there's not much point. If you happen to be in a noisy (in the electrical sense) environment then the ground wire mod channels all that noise straight into the signal path. Not that it's often a problem, but it can happen.

Rothgery
03-30-2012, 03:01 AM
It takes mere minutes to finish the mod, I've done it on 4 turntables so far. Just make sure you have a steady hand when soldering. As far as your DVS is concerned - make sure you ground the black ground wire to the RED RCA ground. I have heard in the past that some DVS's have problems with getting the correct ground unless you use the red (specifically Serato). I never tested that by using the white - just figured better safe then sorry. I do not use DVS but might as well go with what Ive heard a few times in the past.

If you are going with the internal ground, you might as well swap out your RCA's to a higher quality RCA too, since you are already in there - it only adds a few minutes more to the mod, and you can put longer rcas on your tables, not to mention better built.

Almost all other higher end RCA's though will not fit back into the retaining clip that holds the original wires. This is what I've done....

when you get everything back together, that little hole where the old retaining clip was screwed in, take a small zip tie, and pass it through the hole where one of the old screws went - then tighten it around the new rca. make sure you tighten it as hard as you can without breaking the zip tie and it should hold it in there really well. Heres a pic of what I'm talking about, from my table...

It may be a little hard to ascertain whats going on in that pic until you actually dive into the mod. Make sure you look at the tutorials on youtube, there's many to watch. And if you run into any questions along the way - make sure to ask :tup:

DJBOJAN
03-30-2012, 08:20 AM
Thank you for all the feedback. def replaced the RCA cables. I figured the internal ground would a bit more aesthetically pleasing and cleaner. I do plan to move my equipment from place to place. I do plan to use Serato Scratch Live so I'm not sure what to do now...

Thanks

Estacy
03-30-2012, 09:50 AM
make sure you ground the black ground wire to the RED RCA ground. I have heard in the past that some DVS's have problems with getting the correct ground unless you use the red (specifically Serato).

also the case with some carts like the stanton 680 I believe. You can have a ground loop if you use the white (left) rca. but there are only like a few carts where this could be the case. but better do it right the first time

Rothgery
03-30-2012, 02:46 PM
Thank you for all the feedback. def replaced the RCA cables. I figured the internal ground would a bit more aesthetically pleasing and cleaner. I do plan to move my equipment from place to place. I do plan to use Serato Scratch Live so I'm not sure what to do now...

Thanks

Just make sure you ground to the red rca and you should have no problems... remember you can always revert back - just keep the ground wire or make a new one

Finnish_Fox
03-30-2012, 02:58 PM
If you move your decks around a lot then the ground wire can be prone to damage.

...which is why I have mine taped to my RCAs with a bit of extra lead at the end.

DJBOJAN
03-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Thanks again for the feedback, I think i will be doing to ground wire internally. Any other Feedback would be appreciated. Only concern I have is the DVS issue which Lotus mentioned, I will be using a 57SL which Live of course.

sunspot
03-31-2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks again for the feedback, I think i will be doing to ground wire internally. Any other Feedback would be appreciated. Only concern I have is the DVS issue which Lotus mentioned, I will be using a 57SL which Live of course.

I'm not saying don't do it, but I followed the directions everyone suggested/had read/seen and for whatever reason it never worked for me. Since I did it about 3 years ago I've used an 05 pro, ttm 56 and now a 57sl. They all hum and it's both turns. So seeing as I have the RCA terminal board to replace I'm gonna check again to see if I have the connections right, if not I'm undeleting the ground wire. I'm sure I messed something up somewhere though. Funny thing is in 3 years I haven't been motivated to go back in. haha

Nicadraus
03-31-2012, 10:20 PM
Positive all the way for me especially when you move your decks around. Really worth it. :)

DTR
04-01-2012, 01:50 AM

If you want to make it reversible you could leave the ground wire intact, coil it and tie it up inside the turntable. Then take a short length of wire, put a socket crimp on it and solder that to the right RCA shield. Then just plug the two together. If you get any problems, just unplug it and use the ground normally.

Estacy
04-01-2012, 08:27 AM
there really is no proper room for all that cable inside a Technics if you ask me. especially not in the tonearm part since its so delicate with the tiny tonearm wires. you could stuff it near the pitch pcb, or even on the main pcb but It would be so much better to just store the ground wire cable in a box or on a shelf or whatnot

cyberphox
04-01-2012, 09:53 AM
I don't move mine around at all, however I plan on upgrading the RCA cables and putting in my blue leds and I figure since I'm in there.....

DTR
04-01-2012, 06:11 PM
there really is no proper room for all that cable inside a Technics if you ask me. especially not in the tonearm part since its so delicate with the tiny tonearm wires. you could stuff it near the pitch pcb, or even on the main pcb but It would be so much better to just store the ground wire cable in a box or on a shelf or whatnot

Fair enough, it's been a while since I looked in the bottom of one, and mine aren't even standard anyway. I will bow to your greater knowledge sir

Estacy
04-02-2012, 03:12 AM
lol:D

obey thy master!

DJBOJAN
04-02-2012, 04:57 PM
I have decided against the internal ground, instead I ordered two new original Technics ground wires, and will just replace and keep them externally grounded.

Bit Flip
04-02-2012, 10:03 PM
The best way to internally ground decks is definitely to ground both RCAs using a quick jumper wire on the board from the grounds on both Left RCA and Right RCA connections to the copper pad connected to the grounding point. In the following picture you can see the pads labeled "L-" and "R-" and connect with a jumper wire to the square pad labeled "E".

http://technicsparts.co/img/p/25-65-large.jpg

technicsman23
04-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Yes this is the correct method.
I generaly cut the origional ground wire which goes to the mixer to about 5/6 cm.Stript the wire 1cm or a bit more and split into 2.
Then solder this to the 2 minus points.
I have done this probably 50 times never had 1 complaint from my customers or my own equipment.
You are safe with this method.

cyberphox
04-04-2012, 10:05 PM
so instead of grounding to the red ground of the RCA, you actually ground to both?

Bit Flip
04-04-2012, 10:27 PM
To break it down it's like this:
Each RCA has 2 connections, one for the audio signal, and the other for grounding which is braided around the center wire to shield it from interference as well.
The "-" connector on that board is connected to the ground on the RCA. When you connect both grounds from the RCA "-" connections to the grounding pad on that board, you are grounding to whatever you are plugging the RCAs into.

That make sense?