PDA

View Full Version : Nee help critiquing my latest song.

kidj fresh
03-29-2012, 07:57 PM
http://snd.sc/HmRnrE

I've been working of this song and just heard it a couple thousand times to many. I just need a fresh ear to hear what I maybe not hearing. Thank you all very much.

WombatCombat
03-30-2012, 07:24 AM
The time between the start of the song and when the vocals kick in feels a bit long imo, but I dig it. Great acapella by the way.

kidj fresh
03-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Thanks wombat, you see I kinda have this progressive bone in me and tend to make songs a bit to long haha. Do you think I should cut the intro or breakdown? Did you get lost during from the start till the breakdown? I enjoy the anticipation within music and it DOES get the best of me sometimes, but thank you for listening, and, if more, appreciate your feedback.

Giran
03-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Not bad.

I'd say the chords are kinda off-key with the vocals and they need more wetness (reverb) in the mix. Also your drums need a little more polishing. The kickdrum sounds too hollow and doesn't sit right in the mix.

zaxl
03-30-2012, 01:45 PM
:stupid:

your synths and vocals are very obviously clashing

kidj fresh
03-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Not bad.

I'd say the chords are kinda off-key with the vocals and they need more wetness (reverb) in the mix. Also your drums need a little more polishing. The kickdrum sounds too hollow and doesn't sit right in the mix.

Thank you for listening, did you say my vocals, or chords need more wetness? Also, drums for me so hard to master, do you think I have to much low/high and not enough mid in the kick?

:stupid:

your synths and vocals are very obviously clashing

Thanks for your input, any suggestions? What did you mean by clashing? Aside from the notes being off, is it the volumes or maybe the parameters for the eq is off?

zaxl
03-30-2012, 04:52 PM
the vocals are in a different key than your song. they don't go together

kidj fresh
03-30-2012, 06:01 PM

Thank you for your piece of mind, but we covered that already.

WombatCombat
03-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Thanks wombat, you see I kinda have this progressive bone in me and tend to make songs a bit to long haha. Do you think I should cut the intro or breakdown? Did you get lost during from the start till the breakdown? I enjoy the anticipation within music and it DOES get the best of me sometimes, but thank you for listening, and, if more, appreciate your feedback.

I totally get the progressive-ness of it. And I'd say if anything, cut the intro...maybe like 16 bars? Length of it now is great for some long phrase mixing though.

Andrew B
03-31-2012, 12:54 AM
Thank you for your piece of mind, but we covered that already.

:confused:

You asked:

What did you mean by clashing?

He answered:

i.e. clashing

:shrug:

kidj fresh
03-31-2012, 02:15 AM
Thanks andrew.

Hygro
04-01-2012, 10:00 PM
What I would do is pay close attention to "signal flow". Once you understand the order of operations of effects and routing etc, then you know why you might EQ before or after compression, where to put your sidechain (before the reverb, after the reverb?) etc. Then I would eq all your instruments very carefully, and the compress them/gain boost them all a lot, then mix the volume levels accordingly.

The chord progression in the beginning has a good sound (digging the whole 90s thing. Very hot right now), but the chord progression gets very boring very fast. Make it more intricate and you have something much stronger. Make sure you get your vocals in key, and make sure your vocals and instruments are in tune with each other. Sometimes vocals are not tuned to concert pitch.

kidj fresh
04-02-2012, 02:49 PM
What I would do is pay close attention to "signal flow". Once you understand the order of operations of effects and routing etc, then you know why you might EQ before or after compression, where to put your sidechain (before the reverb, after the reverb?) etc. Then I would eq all your instruments very carefully, and the compress them/gain boost them all a lot, then mix the volume levels accordingly.

The chord progression in the beginning has a good sound (digging the whole 90s thing. Very hot right now), but the chord progression gets very boring very fast. Make it more intricate and you have something much stronger. Make sure you get your vocals in key, and make sure your vocals and instruments are in tune with each other. Sometimes vocals are not tuned to concert pitch.

Wow, I really had no idea about the order of effects. I always noticed something weird when I have the same instrument, with different order of effects. Thank you very much for that. Do you usually compress last in the effect chain?

Also, the 90's was very important to this song, but I wanted to add some modern touches.

Thank you very much for that descriptive feedback, I really appreciate it.

Hygro
04-02-2012, 11:31 PM
You're welcome! I usually compress second, after I eq. I sidechain compress either last or second to last, usually. Sometimes I don't sidechain until I route it and other instruments through a shared buss. I want, for example, my reverb to come from a compressed instrument, rather than compressing my reverb, for example. That said it's often better to reverb through a side-buss.

jonistaken
04-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Loved the bit around 2:33.

Other than that I would just echo everyone else on clashing tones.