PDA

View Full Version : Using an RMX to scratch with vinyl tables.

DJ Headkick
03-29-2012, 07:23 PM
[Long introductions, FTW]

Not to sound pretentious, but after two years as a bedroom DJ and a few months of actually spinning at shows, I've come to something of a mental low-point in my DJ "career." I'll skip the inner feelings about the idea of an art derives its very existence from using other peoples' art and cut right to the chase.

I'm looking at my Vestax PMC280, my 2 CDJ400s, and my 2 TTs sitting on my counter. I don't have a job. I am:
A: Tired as hell of my current tune collection
B: Tired as hell of spending 2 hours to pirate 10 songs in 320 and feeling painfully guilty afterwards
And, in association with A & B,
C: Starting to become as tired as hell with DJing.

So what I'm thinking about doing is selling my PMC280, the 2 CDJ400s, and using the cash to buy:
A: All the tunes I've stolen
B: A big pack of new tunes to help get me back into it
C: Some decent production gear
D: A Hercules RMX.

I don't give a shit about the doofuses who enjoy shouting "OH, YOU'VE GOT A CONTROLLER, YOU'RE SUCH A FAG, HAHAHA" on Facebook; they can go fuck themselves. My question is about the RMX's crossfader.

As we all know, you can't scratch on the RMX's platters without ending up wanting to drink excessively, right? But...
What about using battle records with my TTs, and using the RMX as a mixer? Has anyone tried this out, and if so, how were the results? I thought about this for a little while today, and when I googled the RMX, I was surprised to find that it had grounds.

How's the crossfader on the RMX when it comes to using vinyl tables to scratch?

drzinc
03-29-2012, 07:34 PM
A RMX can be used as a 4 in 4 out card and is capable of DVS with Virtual DJ even the lowly Hercules Mk2 can do this feat. Don't forget if you just want to spin regular vinyl you still have to have VDJ running it can not be used as a Mixer without a computer and program.

antFastic
03-30-2012, 05:18 AM
The RMX is a MIDI controller including all the mixer functions, the cross fade is performed by the software and is not really going to be good enough for scratching, in the case of using turntable audio as a source.

As drzinc says you can connect your turntable, but the audio is processed by the soundcard/software and requires VDJ running to produce the output, so it isn't direct.

I would look at controllers that have a hardware mixer built in, like the NS6? Or maybe stick with using a regular mixer for scratching.