PDA

View Full Version : Wearing a headpiece or lav?

Sween
03-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Anybody use a hands-free mic?

I always thought it seemed cheesy looking so I never considered it... but it would be nice sometimes to have my hands free.

Also is there a unit that is high quality enough to sound as good as my SM58?

I have lav's but I don't have a headpiece.

LiteTrix
03-29-2012, 03:55 PM
I always use a HH. I have lav's but don't use them for myself. If you going to go the lav route, make sure you get a headset thats small and discrete. I'll get you a picture of one so you know what I'm talking about.

The reason your thinking they look cheesy is because you've probably seen others with headsets that have that dumb round black ball of foam at the end, correct?

as you can see, the part of the headset where the microphone is tan in color and really does a nice job of hiding it and not making it totally obvious that you have it on. These are the headsets I own and I've used these on tour as well. I've had quite a few officiants compliment me on how nice they fit and look on them. Just some ideas.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z386/Itsyahboymike/shure_WCE6IT.jpg

drzinc
03-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Hi if you want a great sounding lav mic I recommend this brand. I have turned many a DJ on to this company (http://www.gtdaudio.net/index.php?osCsid=dbaaa0f1b3116cbfc8a6924cd3795096) and all the reviews have been positive. Look at this model (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/200Ch-Wireless-UHF-Hand-Held-Lapel-Microphone-Mic-HL-/250677349792?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5d88cda0).

LiteTrix
03-29-2012, 04:07 PM
^^^^ Guarantee that's not going to sound nearly as a good as a SM58.

Sween, what system are you currently using? ULX, PGX, etc? And what model lavs do you have?

drzinc
03-29-2012, 04:14 PM
^^^^ Guarantee that's not going to sound nearly as a good as a SM58.

Actually the handheld sounds exactly like the SM58 and that is coming from KJ's that have been in the business for years.

Sween
03-29-2012, 04:26 PM
I already have an AT-3000 body pack and receiver. I'm thinking I could just get a headset that will tie in to that.

It's got a snappy-type connection... is that universal or proprietary?

Maybe this? http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATM73cW/

or this? http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATM75/

STLRiverCity
03-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Take a look at Countryman headsets. They aren't cheap but they sound great and you can hardly see them when worn properly. I recommend the E6i model.

RodneyL
03-30-2012, 07:08 AM
I tried one a few times and didn't really enjoy it. I switch to having a mic on a gooseneck coming from my mixer. Allows me to be hands free when I need to.

Sween
04-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Take a look at Countryman headsets. They aren't cheap but they sound great and you can hardly see them when worn properly. I recommend the E6i model.

So yeah it's not cheap. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/E6iOW6T2SL/

But here's my concern... being omni-directional, and I'm used to a cardioid. Can I expect it to pick up more room noise? Or more likely to feedback?

My budget was really only $200 or so, but unless this thing is really the best...

STLRiverCity
04-02-2012, 07:25 PM
They also have unidirectional mics. See this PDF selection guide to help choose one of their mics. http://www.countryman.com/download/Countryman_E6_Selection_Guide.pdf

We use these mics at trade shows like SEMA with the speaker behind the presenter and I haven't had too many issues with feedback, but YMMV. Using the flat response mic cap helps a lot. The 'crisp' and 'very crisp' mic caps feedback much more easily. I haven't personally used them for DJing but my guess is you will be OK as long as you are behind the speakers.

Sween
04-03-2012, 11:39 AM
They also have unidirectional mics. See this PDF selection guide to help choose one of their mics. http://www.countryman.com/download/Countryman_E6_Selection_Guide.pdf

We use these mics at trade shows like SEMA with the speaker behind the presenter and I haven't had too many issues with feedback, but YMMV. Using the flat response mic cap helps a lot. The 'crisp' and 'very crisp' mic caps feedback much more easily. I haven't personally used them for DJing but my guess is you will be OK as long as you are behind the speakers.

Nice guide. Rep.

So I'm thinking E6iDW6T2AT...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/508115-REG/Countryman_E6IDW6T2AT_E6i_Cardioid_Ear_Set.html

Ouch... maybe rethinking that at $460!

STLRiverCity
04-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Yeah, they aren't cheap but you can't find anything better. This is what they use in places like broadway theater. They use their lapels and hide them in wigs and clothing.

They are very expensive but so worth it IMHO. We have 8 of them at work and most are at least 6 years old. We have replaced a few cordsets but haven't had to replace any mics yet.

Sween
06-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Okay. So I bought a Countryman E6 a month or so ago. Used it about 4 times... with zero success. Major feedback problems. I got the directional Cardioid version. I have also tried notching out frequencies and using my Sabine FBX feedback eliminator.

Is there something I'm missing here? I spent $400 for this thing and it works great at low volume but it is just soooo sensitive I'm afraid to walk away from my booth with it (especially if I pass anywhere near the speakers). My SM58/SLX works just fine at these levels.

drzinc
06-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Okay. So I bought a Countryman E6 a month or so ago. Used it about 4 times... with zero success. Major feedback problems. I got the directional Cardioid version. I have also tried notching out frequencies and using my Sabine FBX feedback eliminator.

Is there something I'm missing here? I spent $400 for this thing and it works great at low volume but it is just soooo sensitive I'm afraid to walk away from my booth with it (especially if I pass anywhere near the speakers). My SM58/SLX works just fine at these levels.

If you can return that mic and get a refund go with the GTD audio I suggested to you very early in this thread. They work well and the range is amazing. I know it's an off brand but if you search this and other DJ forums many have bought GTD mic systems and had great success. This (http://www.amazon.com/GTD-Audio-G-788L-Diversity-Microphone/dp/B005LA2WUA/ref=sr_1_17?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1338573876&sr=1-17) is the one I recommend. I actually have this system but I bought the lavs as an add on so I can combine lavs and handhelds.

Sween
06-01-2012, 01:18 PM
It would be a shame because I really do like the look and feel of the Countryman... I didn't want something that went all the way around my head since I will be throwing the headphones on and off.

I also find it hard to believe that such an expensive mic that is supposed to be so versatile would have such problems.

There is one other thing I was going to try and that is swapping out the hypercardioid cap for the standard cardioid. I think I'll try that tonight's gig (which is in a gym). but don't think it will help.

DJRoladecks
06-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Sween, don't know if you tried a compressor limiter/gate with that mic yet? Might possibly help out a bit with unwanted times where you might get feedback walking around etc. If not, see if you could borrow one. It's always helped me out when I've ran "hot" mics before.

Sween
06-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Sween, don't know if you tried a compressor limiter/gate with that mic yet? Might possibly help out a bit with unwanted times where you might get feedback walking around etc. If not, see if you could borrow one. It's always helped me out when I've ran "hot" mics before.

The problem happens when I speak though....

drzinc
06-01-2012, 02:22 PM
The problem happens when I speak though....

When speaking are you in front, on the side or behind your speakers?

Sween
06-01-2012, 04:12 PM
When speaking are you in front, on the side or behind your speakers?

Standard wedding setup... You need to walk out in front of the speakers sometimes.... but not right on top of them (of course I am aware of that). Yes it works better behind the speakers. But my handhelds do just fine as long as I'm further than 10 feet or so from the speaker.

I would not need a wireless if I always stood at the booth.

jmack953
06-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Yeah I've got a Shure Performance Gear system with the headset transmitter pack, but the one's that come factory from Shure are, in my opinion, a little too bulky and just don't look right. (At least on my head anyways haha) So, I went and got a replacement from Point Source Audio that works really well and nice, clear, prestine sound. Got it here a couple months ago.. still $200 which is what I paid back in February
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-POI-CO6-LIST

Point source has different options for connectors depending on brand. If you don't find one, do a google search for "micon microphone adaptors" .. they've got about everytype of converter possible for these systems.
Cheers and Happy DJing!!!

STLRiverCity
06-01-2012, 09:11 PM

Which tip on the mic are you using? It should have come with three different ones. Try the flat response one. That is the one I have had the best luck with.

jayhwk
06-02-2012, 11:13 AM
If you can return that mic and get a refund go with the GTD audio I suggested to you very early in this thread. They work well and the range is amazing. I know it's an off brand but if you search this and other DJ forums many have bought GTD mic systems and had great success. This (http://www.amazon.com/GTD-Audio-G-788L-Diversity-Microphone/dp/B005LA2WUA/ref=sr_1_17?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1338573876&sr=1-17) is the one I recommend. I actually have this system but I bought the lavs as an add on so I can combine lavs and handhelds.

If he's having trouble with a professional quality microphone, replacing it with cheap junk won't help at all.

I tend to use omni headset mics- I don't find that cardioid is much of a help. I've used the E6 a lot for musical theater (even the Broadway shows that come through here use them!) and it does take a bit of time to learn how to tune one properly. I would download an RTA app for smartphone and insert an EQ on the microphone's channel. That way you can identify and pull out offending frequencies - just make sure the end result sounds natural. It would be best if you could have someone else wear the headset while you tune it - you can take the EQ out in front of the loudspeakers and hear exactly what is going on.

A compressor can help if you know how to use one. If you don't, it can make things a lot worse.

You can also check the placement of your loudspeakers, and make sure that you stay outside of their coverage pattern as much as possible.

Sween
06-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Which tip on the mic are you using? It should have come with three different ones. Try the flat response one. That is the one I have had the best luck with.

Comes with two tips... cardioid and hypercardioid. Been using hyper. Did not get a chance to fool with it last night so I just used the handheld.

Sween
06-18-2012, 12:59 PM
I've gotta bump this thread...

I still cannot get this thing to work without major feedback... I've tried playing with the gain structure, notching out EQ's, using a Feedback eliminator, changing tips... everything.

I cannot return it. I like the feel/look... and have another DJ friend who SWEARS by his.

WHAT am I doing wrong? I'm not a novice here... no, I'm not a super expert either, but I'd like to think I know what I'm doing.

The thing just seems to be so sensitive that getting enough gain to pick up my voice = getting enough gain to feedback.

The tip is about an inch from my mouth... the speakers are 50 feet away. Not sure WHY this is happening.

DJ Boom Bap
06-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Do you happen to have any metal in your mouth i.e. fillings? Caps?

Dix
06-18-2012, 01:36 PM
I still cannot get this thing to work without major feedback...

and have another DJ friend who SWEARS by his.

The thing just seems to be so sensitive that getting enough gain to pick up my voice = getting enough gain to feedback.

The tip is about an inch from my mouth... the speakers are 50 feet away. Not sure WHY this is happening.

Maybe just a bad/defective unit????

Sween
06-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Do you happen to have any metal in your mouth i.e. fillings? Caps?

Of course I do.

You think my grill is causing interference?

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/6190.jpg

SockoPro
06-19-2012, 01:49 AM
Sween do you have SIA SMAARTLIVE available to ring the mic out and analyze it? That will tell you whats going on in a heartbeat....

Sween
06-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Sween do you have SIA SMAARTLIVE available to ring the mic out and analyze it? That will tell you whats going on in a heartbeat....

No I don't... I am just me. Not a big company with those kind of fancy toys. I am a little annoyed my Sabine unit isn't doing much to help either. I thought about buying another 31 band EQ or a DBX to dedicate to that mic... but agree that analyzing the frequencies would be a major help here.

Any recommends on the cheap(er) tip?

SockoPro
06-19-2012, 11:12 AM
PM me your email, i'll send you it....

jayhwk
06-19-2012, 01:04 PM
No I don't... I am just me. Not a big company with those kind of fancy toys. I am a little annoyed my Sabine unit isn't doing much to help either. I thought about buying another 31 band EQ or a DBX to dedicate to that mic... but agree that analyzing the frequencies would be a major help here.

Any recommends on the cheap(er) tip?

Do you have a smartphone?

Sween
06-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Do you have a smartphone?

Yes I do... Let me guess, there's an app for that?

jayhwk
06-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Yes I do... Let me guess, there's an app for that?

Yep! Check out Studio Six Digital.

Sween
06-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Yep! Check out Studio Six Digital.

Neat... they've got a lot of tools... Looks like they have a SMAART program too. Says it works just as well on an iPad2 as on a computer. (I usually bring the iPad to each gig anyway. That might be a neat little tool for dialing in the room.

Soooo... is there any one of these mobile programs that is best? And then (if I dare ask) how do you use it... like with the built in microphone? And then try to notch out the overactive frequencies on my 31-band EQ?

[EDIT] Just watched the demo online and yes it seems like I answered my own question... but OUCH at $70 for an app!

Would the RTA app do the job without buying the Smaart plug in?

allensmusic
11-03-2012, 01:53 AM
hey Sween, I need you to figure out that headset this week and tell me what you had to do. I just ordered a directional E6 today for a corporate fashion show in less than two weeks. the host has have to walk down a 60 foot runway and have the voice cover a crowd of 800 people crowding the runway. I usually hand them a sm58 beta with a sennheiser wireless module but they asked for a headset this time. I will have a couple hours the day before the gig to try it out and dial it all in.
here is a picture of the MC from the show I did a couple weeks ago.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ouu5IM3P-lc/UIURFui1HSI/AAAAAAAALQs/J5cmm0se0cU/s518/PJH_5365.JPG

KLH
11-03-2012, 05:56 AM
^ Hey Allensmusic is back! Welcome back!

IMHO, you need a basic EQ on mics to remove hi and low frequencies from mics because both cause feedback fast. I use knockoff brand wired SM58 clones... but I'm looking into replacing those with wireless HHs from Line6 (v70 series) as I hear that they aren't as prone to feedback as wired mics are. Unfortunately, those mics are ~$500, so I'm saving up.

In the mean time, I've found setting lo eq to 7-8 o'clock and high eq to 10 o'clock works best for me. YMMV.

-KLH

Sween
11-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Doing a full Sia eq of the room helped a lot... But what I'm finding out is the countryman mic is so sensitive that it really does not work well on a "hot" room at loud volume. It works best when you are behind the mains just like a lav...

Unfortunately this means I really don't get to use it much.

:(

lburners
11-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Those headset mics are pretty tricky especially when you get 10+ units going on stage at the same time. You are correct though they are much easier to tame when you have users behind the mains. Wish I saw this thread earlier I probably would have tried to steer you away from this as a solution. I think one of those old school looking units that have the transducer right at your mouth would work better.

allensmusic
11-03-2012, 03:39 PM
I was told they wanted a discrete headset. the user will be walking on the runway and speaking loudly. they will be in front of the mains, probably 50 foot from the mains. I will be working as a dedicated sound guy.there will be a 31 bandd eq on the mic. if the E6 doesnt work for me I can go back to a handheld, but it could seriously affect my future gigs. I am new around here and I beat out the largest local sound company to get this gig. it is a $50,000 corporate party for 800 people. I didnt know there was that much of an issue with this headset, but I really didnt want the bulky one either. I did get it for a decent price so if I really dont like it I will sell it.

sss18734
11-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Hi if you want a great sounding lav mic I recommend this brand. I have turned many a DJ on to this company (http://www.gtdaudio.net/index.php?osCsid=dbaaa0f1b3116cbfc8a6924cd3795096) and all the reviews have been positive. Look at this model (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/200Ch-Wireless-UHF-Hand-Held-Lapel-Microphone-Mic-HL-/250677349792?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5d88cda0).

Hey drzinc, do you personally run the lavaliers? I can attest to the GTD Mics being excellent handheld units, but I bought the lav piece and cannot say the same... I have yet to make it sound good enough to feel comfortable using it at a gig. When it's handsfree, I always use my countryman set.