PDA

View Full Version : I Pad 3 & serato etc

TheRabbitMonk
03-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Hi thinking of getting an i pad. The question i have is: Can you use stuff like serato on it? Or any of the other programs of that type? The reason i ask one of my mate says i wouldn't be able as apple devices only use apple programs.. Need to know if this is fact as i'm getting the ipad with a view of getting serato or something similar..

Thanks in advance.:P

Finnish_Fox
03-29-2012, 12:07 PM
I know you can use it as a controller... how it all works and with which programs, I am not sure. Sorry.

Era 7
03-29-2012, 12:11 PM
won't work. only works with apps downloaded trough the appstore.

TheRabbitMonk
03-29-2012, 12:22 PM
such a disapointment. it seems like it would be ideal for something like this becasue it's so compact. so would you agree it's pointless me getting it then?
:cry:

Era 7
03-29-2012, 12:24 PM
such a disapointment. it seems like it would be ideal for something like this becasue it's so compact. so would you agree it's pointless me getting it then?
:cry:

unless you use ableton for live production or effects: pretty much.

KLH
03-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Welcome to DJF, TheRabbitMonk. If you think that the iPad isn't worth it because it doesn't run SSL, ok.

It does make a great picture display...

-KLH

TheRabbitMonk
03-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Welcome to DJF, TheRabbitMonk. If you think that the iPad isn't worth it because it doesn't run SSL, ok.

It does make a great picture display...

-KLH

Thanks but i'm buying it for a purpose.

577er
03-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Looks like it will run, how and how well I don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B81PtbireaA

TheRabbitMonk
03-29-2012, 01:08 PM
cheers for that, nearly got drawn in then.. but he's tunning it through his laptop and using it as secondary display somebody in the comments mentioned.

577er
03-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Oh I see it's not free standing. Do let us know if you figure it out.

TheRabbitMonk
03-29-2012, 01:26 PM
o man i want this to work because i'm getting one cheap.. can not be doing with the hassle of selling it, then having to but something else..Wouldn't mind not got serato yet, thats my next few hundred pounds problem.

Unknown DJ
03-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Good news other companies besides Apple make tablets. Some even run Windows!

TheRabbitMonk
03-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Good news other companies besides Apple make tablets. Some even run Windows!

which i do know, if you read what i said i'm getting the ipad cheap so would prefer to use it.. Hence the question.

Flight
03-29-2012, 02:30 PM
you can control every element in serato with an iPad...but serato still must be running on a separate machine.
you'd want the processing power for Serato anyways, those little a4 chips or whatever they have in iPads don't quite cut the mustard.

i use Lemur for iOS ($50), built my own interface, MIDI mapped it, and voila, touchable Serato on my iPad :)
i also use Lemur on 2 iPod touches (or could be iPhones) as mini-controllers (think Dicers), except fully modular and programmable!
now, instead of reaching to my laptop and using KB/mouse to interact, i have full touch of every Serato function, conveniently located on a small iPod or iPad, positioned where ever I can squeeze 'em in the setup...which is virtually anywhere...

and, it's all WIFI, so you could walk around DJing with your hands in your pockets playing with iPods.
...or playing with yourself.
see the benefits? :P

currently working on using Lemur to communicate with Serato via OSC, first into Max/Ableton, then across The Bridge into Serato, and back (bidirectional).
but, that requires f#$king with Serato's object model, and that's causing some technical trainwrecking issues ATM...

TheRabbitMonk
03-29-2012, 02:40 PM
you can control every element in serato with an iPad...but serato still must be running on a separate machine.
you'd want the processing power for Serato anyways, those little a4 chips or whatever they have in iPads don't quite cut the mustard.

i use Lemur for iOS ($50), built my own interface, MIDI mapped it, and voila, touchable Serato on my iPad :)
i also use Lemur on 2 iPod touches (or could be iPhones) as mini-controllers (think Dicers), except fully modular and programmable!
now, instead of reaching to my laptop and using KB/mouse to interact, i have full touch of every Serato function, conveniently located on a small iPod or iPad, positioned where ever I can squeeze 'em in the setup...which is virtually anywhere...

and, it's all WIFI, so you could walk around DJing with your hands in your pockets playing with iPods.
...or playing with yourself.
see the benefits? :P

currently working on using Lemur to communicate with Serato via OSC, first into Max/Ableton, then across The Bridge into Serato, and back (bidirectional).
but, that requires f#$king with Serato's object model, and that's causing some technical trainwrecking issues ATM...

wow thanks for the response, i think you've just blew my mind. Got some of it and i now get it.. I'm gonna need to get a laptop as well or something else.. could be a sell job i think but i'll decide when i get it.. cheers

Flight
03-29-2012, 05:12 PM
i'll also make a quick note of mention, i am using this with Serato ScratchLIVE, not Serato ITCH, though i'm certain there wouldn't be too much difference, but i've never played with ITCH before, so i can't comment on how feasible this setup would be with it.

TheRabbitMonk
03-30-2012, 10:16 AM
yea i would be getting scratch live if anything mate