PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a projector & screen. Tips?

JuxtaPoser
03-29-2012, 06:43 AM
I'm looking to buy a projector and screen for use at club night events, projecting videos and visuals. The projector will need to be mountable from the ceiling and the screen is probably going to be best off being a pulldown one that can be fixed to a wall, rather than one with a stand.

The problem is I haven't got the first clue about this kind of stuff. Can anyone give me some recommendations or suggestions of things I should be mindful of when shopping for projectors/screens for these purposes? Budget-wise I'm thinking around the £500 mark but happy to move a little either way.

STLRiverCity
03-30-2012, 09:23 PM
I would recommend getting ahold of a reputable dealer in your area. They will be able to get demo projectors and possibly screens as well. There are tons of options and variables with projectors and screens. I know enough to be dangerous and that could fill a small book.

The plus is you are in a dark area already so you probably won't need anything over 3000 lumens, depending on the size of the screen. The bigger the screen the brighter the projector required. For video DLP is better than LCD. Get a conference room projector. The cheaper portable projectors won't perform as well and the bulbs typically don't last as many hours.

I would recommend a high contrast screen. These screens look grey when nothing is projected on them. The screens that are white won't look as good.

I don't know what prices are like in the UK but here in the US a 60" diagonal screen and 3000 lumen DLP projector will run around $1000. That doesn't include a ceiling mount or cabling.

Ntertainment
03-30-2012, 11:00 PM
I think you'd be fine DIY if your staying under 3000 lumens. Epson has been THE name in projectors, however viewsonic is very reasonably priced. Biggest thing to keep in mind to me, is that you want HD, and you want it to except HDMI. I haven't heard of a decent priced projector that can't be mounted. I DIY my own projector setup and the only thing i would have changed is that it had an audio out, i use it for personal use, I got an epson and it's been great, paid just under $800 for it.

JuxtaPoser
03-31-2012, 05:37 AM
Brilliant, thanks for the tips guys.

I'll be looking for an Epson or Viewsonic, HD, DLP, around 3000 lumens. I'll probably find some options and then post them up here to get your guys opinions on them if you wouldn't mind.

Appreciate the help!

JuxtaPoser
04-02-2012, 06:26 AM
What do you guys think of this?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/acer-h5360-hd-ready-dlp-projector-04770830-pdt.html

Ryan Ruel
04-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Also check out projector central, the definitive go to guide for projectors and screens, and avs forums:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/

http://www.avsforum.com/

For a club I'd say you want good lamp life (lamps are expensive), and high lumen output (for punchy visuals). You probably don't need a super high contrast THX home theater projector for this. And probably shouldn't spend a fortune since club gear gets pretty beat up.

For a screen, da-lite and draper make affordable pull down options.

If you can paint the wall, another option is to use screen paint. I have a projector in my home, and just painted the wall with a special high contrast projection paint. It looks fantastic ($300/gallon, but still cheaper than a screen).