PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between L and R, Will This Effect My Output?

DJAkash
02-25-2015, 07:02 PM
To get the local singers to quit making a fuss over controlling their own microphones and music I plan to use

a wireless microphone system(http://www.amazon.com/GTD-Audio-G-380H-Wireless-Microphone/dp/B00HLVOO2G/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1424912307&sr=1-2&keywords=gtd+audio+wireless+vhf),

an external laptop connected through 3.5mm to dual 1/4 jack (http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP159-Stereo-Breakout-10-Feet/dp/B005HGM1D6)

all plugged into this mixer Behringer 1202FX(http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/1202FX.aspx)

Then I want to output that mixer out of a single 1/4 in channel, into a single XLR microphone channel on my Pioneer DDJ SX(http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/DJ/Controllers/DDJ-SX)

Will using Just one Channel instead of both L and R make me lose some of the sound from the microhphone and laptop? These singers keep asking me to turn the volume up because their mp3s are super quiet and I notice they limit my mixer at low volumes so I don't increase volume to what they want. And they want their microphone to have the reverb and audio settings with them on stage but I want final control of how loud they get because they could care less about destroying my sound system(these guys are ruthless towards DJs).

conanski
02-26-2015, 05:22 PM
Then I want to output that mixer out of a single 1/4 in channel, into a single XLR microphone channel on my Pioneer DDJ SX(http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/DJ/Controllers/DDJ-SX)

You were doing well right up to this point.. because that ain't gonna work. You need to make the 1202FX the last device before the speakers and your Pioneer will be connected to one of the stereo inputs on the Behringer just like the laptop.

Dj DussT
02-26-2015, 09:06 PM
I can't really think of an easy way for you to do this how you want it with the mixer on the stage. When I do live sound, I have my A&H right next to me with my DDJ plugged into it just like conanski said above. 99.9% of musicians are not sound pros, then know enough to adjust their EQ, reverb, instrument effect, and that's about it. I have a live sound / dj event this Saturday, most of the bands I've worked with before. I ask them what their settings usually are, then I just make a couple of minor tweaks. There is one band that uses their own mixer because they mic their drumset, I run the output of that mixer into my mixer, not ideal, but it works fine - allows them control and me master control.

DJAkash
02-27-2015, 04:34 PM
My issue is these singers dont care about sending out signals that are solid red lined that clip my speakers, I can't give them full control.

DJAkash
02-27-2015, 04:35 PM
would this work through the cd rca inputs. if i took the dual 1/4 inputs into dual rca. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068O17/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687542&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000068O3S&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=09C30S1DB38ZQ03TC3BN

conanski
02-27-2015, 05:06 PM
My issue is these singers dont care about sending out signals that are solid red lined that clip my speakers, I can't give them full control. Do you have control over the 1202FX mixer? First make sure the gains on the wireless mic are set so that the signal isn't distorted when voices are loud, and then set the mic channel trim levels so those channels don't go into clipping when voices are loud, with that done you just need to use the master slider to control the levels at the speakers.

DJAkash
02-27-2015, 05:41 PM
Thats the problem they want control on stage through that mixer, and if they have last control they could care less about blowing my speakers.

conanski
02-27-2015, 06:50 PM
Thats the problem they want control on stage through that mixer, and if they have last control they could care less about blowing my speakers.

You are in a no win situation then, you need to educate them on proper setup of the mics and mixer but that probably won't prevent them from over driving the system in the heat of the moment, you need to insert something between that mixer and your speakers to prevent overdriving them, but the DDJ-SX isn't the right piece of equipment for that... you need a limiter. A cheap behringer limiter would do the trick here, it won't sound the best if pushed hard but if the talent refuses to heed good tech advise then they deserve to suck out loud.

DJAkash
02-27-2015, 08:06 PM
I think im going to stick to my guns and tell them that I know best, keep my mixer next to me, ask them what they want more or less of, these guys literally bring a laptop with un analyzed songs and then they need such heavy reverb im surprised they consider it to sound natural.

allensmusic
02-28-2015, 01:12 PM
EDIT: The following is incorrect, read the next post.

you have the right idea for the microphones.
microphones are mono. run all the microphones into the 1202, and run it into the mono mic jack on your DDJ SX.
you can leave the 1202 on the stage and let them run it, and you have control of the master.
the part that doesnt work is the laptop plugged into the 1202.

allensmusic
02-28-2015, 02:37 PM
What type of events are you doing?

conanski
02-28-2015, 06:57 PM
you have the right idea for the microphones.
microphones are mono. run all the microphones into the 1202, and run it into the mono mic jack on your DDJ SX.
No actually that won't work for 2 reason,
1) The output of the live sound mixer is waaaay too hot for a mic input.
2) The DDJ SX mic channel sucks real bad.. as in it's the worst POS mic input I have ever seen on an electronic console of any type. The mic channel on my old Pyramid DJ mixer was far better. This mic channel distorts at any signal level even with everything setup perfectly, so even with a DI between the two consoles I don't see this arrangement helping the OP.

the part that doesnt work is the laptop plugged into the 1202. That works just fine.. I do that all the time for my customers.

DJ Boom Bap
02-28-2015, 07:32 PM
No actually that won't work for 2 reason,
1) The output of the live sound mixer is waaaay too hot for a mic input.
2) The DDJ SX mic channel sucks real bad.. as in it's the worst POS mic input I have ever seen on an electronic console of any type. The mic channel on my old Pyramid DJ mixer was far better. This mic channel distorts at any signal level even with everything setup perfectly, so even with a DI between the two consoles I don't see this arrangement helping the OP.

That works just fine.. I do that all the time for my customers.
Truth, unless you have the correct impedance microphone, with OP's setup, pure distortion.

allensmusic
02-28-2015, 07:51 PM
my apologies, I have never used the ddj sx.

I use at a minimum a pioneer mixer, and I set up a submixer as described but it is correct that the signal is too hot. I usually bring the signal from the 1202 into my 4th channel aux line through a direct box to convert from XLR to 1/4"
allowing them to have control and bringing the signal in to your XLR mic input will not work.

DJ Boom Bap
02-28-2015, 09:53 PM
my apologies, I have never used the ddj sx.

I use at a minimum a pioneer mixer, and I set up a submixer as described but it is correct that the signal is too hot. I usually bring the signal from the 1202 into my 4th channel aux line through a direct box to convert from XLR to 1/4"
allowing them to have control and bringing the signal in to your XLR mic input will not work.
Where's your limiter in that signal chain?:teef:

allensmusic
02-28-2015, 10:11 PM
Where's your limiter in that signal chain?:teef:

my ears and my fingers.... lol

DJAkash
03-02-2015, 06:23 AM
Would an RCA out like a cd player into the ddjsx mixer work?

DJAkash
03-02-2015, 06:20 PM
The gig I was worried about for this just gave me great news!
They told the singer that was making this fuss that they don't want him after he made these issues.