PDA

View Full Version : Beginning DJ song tips?

Scooter
03-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Hi everybody, i have just recently bought my first piece of equipment, a Traktor s2 controller, and i have been messing around practicing my beatmatching, learning the basics on my controller, and exploring the forums for tips and everything else that a beginner should do. But when i look through my music library, i find most of my music does not mix well together, and its not that large to begin with. I have just recently learned about Beatport and have been downloading my favorite songs from there, but i just feel like it doesnt sound as good as i have seen others do. Any beginning song / set lists that would be a good investment for me to make sure i've got the basics of beat matching down? thanks so much for your time guys.

And another question while i am here...I have been wanting to be a DJ for some time now and i have really only gotten into actually pursuing it for the last couple months. I am a senior in high school and figured this is the perfect time to learn and hopefully get into exactly what im wanting to do as i go through college, mainly just for fun, i really am not in it for the money. But does anyone have any tips / guides / even videos of what a typical "college" party DJ will be like? I am more into the electric/house music and thats exactly what im looking to mix. Sorry if i am confusing anyone but thank you so much for any help you can give me

Schreiber
03-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Well, honestly, there's no set list that you should be starting with to learn. It varies from person to person. Just learn with the stuff you'll be playing. No reason to learn how to mix hip-hop if you'll never play it. Personally, I mainly play electro, house, dubstep, trance, progressive, & Latin at parties. Latin is the only genre I still struggle with. The others are very straight-forward.

As far as what a typical college party will be like, it all depends on your party scene. I do pretty much what you described wanting to do. I mainly do it for fun at parties. Here's a video from my last party to give you an idea of what kind of stuff to expect.

The Bunker

Scooter
03-28-2012, 11:44 PM
yeah man thats pretty much exactly what im looking for is good music like you mentioned, and kinda exactly what the video seemed like. What is your setup?

and as far as song list thats not so much what i was going for, maybe just like a few songs you mix together that you know flow well. My music atm is a mix of like alternative and trance / house that i have really tried but just cannot get going together, so i am curious as to what other DJs are playing such as yourself

Schreiber
03-28-2012, 11:59 PM
Honestly, you can make anything that's the same beat sound good mixed together. As far as what I'm playing, I'll just pull up the history from that night. The breaks in time were when another DJ was on.

The "formula" I use for most of the parties I do is mostly electro house, some big, recognizable top 40 hits thrown in, & some typical party songs (i.e. Shots, Champagne Showers). In all honesty, I feel like I couldn't get away with this at most colleges. Many of the parties I've seen elsewhere have a huge amount of hip-hop & top 40 being played. However, my school has never been very well-known for parties & a few people including myself are in the process of fixing that. It's awesome; I'm in the position of actively shaping the music tastes of people that are at these parties.

VirtualDJ History - 2012/03/17
------------------------------

21:57 : David Guetta - Bass Line
21:59 : Daft Punk - One More Time
22:01 : Tiesto - Zero 76
22:03 : Anjulie - Brand New B*tch
22:05 : Benassi Bros - Get Better (feat. Sandy)
22:07 : Tiesto - Theme from Norefjell (Dj Jan & Christophe Chantzis Mix)
22:09 : Bang on Boys - Bang on Sound (Club Mix)
22:10 : Max K. - Fucking Fresh (Die Hoerer Remix)
22:12 : Steve Aoki - I'm in The House
22:14 : Steve Angello and Tim Mason - Alarma
22:16 : Aphex Twin - On
22:18 : Tommy Noble - The Engineer
22:20 : Scotty - The Black Pearl (Pirates Of The Caribbean) (Dave Darell Radio Edit)
22:21 : R3hab and Swanky Tunes ft Max C - Sending My Love
22:23 : Alli Davis ft Hot Rod - I Like 2 Play In L.A. (Dirty)
22:25 : Professor Green - Monster (AC Slater Remix)
22:26 : Lange f. Sarah Howells - Out Of The Sky (Original Mix)
22:27 : Timbaland ft Pitbull and David Guetta - Pass At Me (MMP Intro) (Dirty)
22:30 : Bob Sinclar ft. Pitbull, Dragonfly & Fatman Scoop - Rock The Boat (Original Club Mix)
22:33 : Ekala - Confetti
22:36 : Sander Van Doorn - Koko (R3hab Remix)
22:37 : Styx - Prog 0 (Andersoon Remix)
22:39 : Tim Mason - The Moment (Steve Angello Edit)
22:40 : Purple Code - The Rising (Deadmau5 Remix)
22:41 : Kanye West ft Rihanna - All Of The Lights (Aylens DutchStep Remix)
22:43 : Skrillex & The Doors - Breakn' A Sweat (Zedd Remix)
22:45 : Crazy Town - Butterfly (Richard Reynolds 2012 Remix)
22:46 : JJ Flores & Steve Smooth - Being in Love (Radio Edit) (Ft. Luvli)
23:04 : Deadmau5 vs. Far East Movement - G6 N Stuff (Inphinity Bootleg)
23:15 : Swedish House Mafia vs. Knife Party - Antidote (Tommy Trash Remix)
23:22 : Swedish House Mafia vs. Knife Party - Antidote (Tommy Trash Remix)
23:24 : Qulinez - Troll Some People (Deeken Party Edit)
23:51 : Guru Josh Project - Infinity (Klaas Vocal Mix)
23:54 : Swedish House Mafia - Greyhound (Remix)
23:56 : LMFAO - Shots (Dirty) (feat. Lil Jon)
23:57 : Hard Rock Sofa vs Afrojack & Eva Simons - Take Over Quasar (MCSpeiba Mashup)
00:10 : Madeon - Icarus (Extended Mix)
00:12 : Martin Solveig & Dragonette - Big In Japan ft. Idoling (Ziggy Stardust Remix)
00:14 : LMFAO - Im In Miami Bitch (Big Nasty remix)
00:15 : Madeon - Icarus (Extended Mix)
00:19 : Maroon 5 ft Christina Aguilera - Moves Like Jagger (Bit Error Vocal Mix)
00:33 : Hazmat - Shipping Up To Boston (Kick Fix) MP3
00:36 : LMFAO - Sexy And I Know It (Remixes) (Mord Fustang Remix)
00:50 : Coldplay - Paradise (Remix) (Tiesto Remix)
00:51 : The Cataracs ft Dev - Bass Down Low (Proper Villains Remix)
00:51 : Flo-Rida ft Avicii vs Skrillex - Good Levels (SINcere Transition 128-70)
00:52 : Katy Perry - E.T. (Benny Benassi Club Mix)
00:57 : Katy Perry - E.T. (Tiesto Remix)
00:59 : Kreayshawn - Gucci Gucci (Jason Smith vs Slim Willy Remix) (Dirty)
01:01 : Nari & Milani Vs Dada Life - Kendo's Violence! (DJ Falkon Mash-Up)
01:02 : Trio To Flashback - Arty v Calvin Harris (jaypee vee bootmash)
01:05 : Tiesto and David Guetta - The World Is Maximal Crazy (Tigran Oganezov Mashup)
01:17 : CHRISTIAN THE LION X GLITCHDICK REMIX - WE FOUND LOVE REMIX
01:28 : Nick Catchdubs - Flockavicii (Quick Intro)
01:32 : LMFAO ft Natalia Kills - Champagne Showers (R3hab Remix)