PDA

View Full Version : JBL SRX/VRX discontinued

windspeed36
02-06-2012, 02:07 AM
According to websites that i've seen, the VRX and SRX series from JBL are being discontinued. I've heard speculation that they are going to be re-launched with new and upgraded drivers similar to those in the new VTX line array system. like RCF did
with their ART-4 series.

Comments? Thoughts? Confirmation? Complete Denial?

ksmalk08
02-06-2012, 02:10 AM
According to websites that i've seen, the VRX and SRX series from JBL are being discontinued. I've heard speculation that they are going to be re-launched with new and upgraded drivers similar to those in the new VTX line array system. like RCF did
with their ART-4 series.

Comments? Thoughts? Confirmation? Complete Denial?

Where were some of your sources for hearing this?
I have been reading some similar things on PSW forums as well, that with the introduction of the VTX and PRX400 stuff that the model range is very crowded right now... somethings gotta give in other words.

So you've heard that the VRX and SRX will stay, at least aesthetically, but with different drivers? Will the name change? SRX v2 maybe?

Being the very happy owner of a VRX918SP, I have mixed feelings... maybe I can get a second one cheap... but if it's discontinued...

Also, I just specified two new SRX728's to be ordered for a venue.

windspeed36
02-06-2012, 02:16 AM
Where were some of your sources for hearing this?
I have been reading some similar things on PSW forums as well, that with the introduction of the VTX and PRX400 stuff that the model range is very crowded right now... somethings gotta give in other words.

So you've heard that the VRX and SRX will stay, at least aesthetically, but with different drivers? Will the name change? SRX v2 maybe?

Being the very happy owner of a VRX918SP, I have mixed feelings... maybe I can get a second one cheap... but if it's discontinued...

Also, I just specified two new SRX728's to be ordered for a venue.

There was another website mentioned on PSW but i just found this 10 minutes ago and it reminded me.. http://www.djdeals.com/jblVRX918SP.htm

I was planning on buying my own VRX system instead of using someone else's however when i heard about this a week ago or so i didn't know what to think. I don't know if you heard on PSW but a few of the JBL dealers didn't have a clue about this

Incognito
02-06-2012, 02:19 AM
Either way with the raw materials required for the build of both the VRX & SRX I can see the logic behind this move. The only thing is I would thing that with these being discontinued for a heavier more traditional substitute will add value to these current subs rather then detract away from them (I could be totally wrong though).

ksmalk08
02-06-2012, 02:27 AM
I don't know if you heard on PSW but a few of the JBL dealers didn't have a clue about this

I have heard the same things on there. A prominent poster was quoted as saying "I do know there is a replacement in store for some other JBL model(s), but the SRX728 wasn't on that memo."

I'm not sure what to think... It would be a big deal if the SRX/VRX stuff went off the shelves for good.

I mean clearly the SRX and VRX lines have been extremely popular, well respected lines. If something isn't broken... don't fix it kind of mentality.

On the other hand, these lines will eventually be replaced at some point. Neodymium availability... yeah.
As Incognito said... it may actually have to potential to make the neodymium-driven models more valuable... sort of like a made-in-Italy SRM450.

I think we will just have to wait and see.

windspeed36
02-06-2012, 02:27 AM
The other thing i noticed with the new VTX array is the huge power draw they want. The fullsize 89 VERTEC box (2x15" 4x8" 3x3") needs 2000W LF, 1400W MF, 225W HF continuos and the new VTX(2x15" 4x8" 3x3") needs 4000W LF, 1400W MF, 600W HF. If the new VRX/SRX series are going to have similar drivers we're gonna need bigger amps..

ksmalk08
02-06-2012, 02:34 AM
If the new VRX/SRX series are going to have similar drivers we're gonna need bigger amps..

And the SRX/VRX stuff was already known to be pretty power hungry....

Is that what a change to ferrite (or other material) from neodymium means?

windspeed36
02-06-2012, 02:39 AM

I hope that if this is going ahead, the output of one new SRX dual 18" is at least 1 1/3 the SPL that the SRX728S outputs. Otherwise the change isn't going to be worth the amount of power draw thus limiting the amount of amps you can use at small to medium size venues

Incognito
02-06-2012, 02:39 AM

Not all in itself, it sounds more like a complete reworked driver.

ksmalk08
02-06-2012, 02:45 AM
I hope that if this is going ahead, the output of one new SRX dual 18" is at least 1 1/3 the SPL that the SRX728S outputs. Otherwise the change isn't going to be worth the amount of power draw thus limiting the amount of amps you can use at small to medium size venues

Agreed... and I was so happy running a just a single PL380 for two 728's.

DJMC
02-06-2012, 09:59 AM
The SRX was way too expensive for a passive system.

Particularly when you could buy PRX cabinets (already with power amps built in) for less money!

DJMC is a Sacramento Wedding DJ (http://www.dj-mc.com) who specializes in non-cheesy receptions and private events.

audiopyle
02-06-2012, 11:02 AM
My guess is that with neo drivers the SRX models were due for a big price increase. The introduction of new model names with "improved" ceramic magnet drivers sounds llike marketing spin to camouflage a switch to drivers that are cheaper to produce. I expect they will perform equally as well, provided JBL doesn't try to make up for the weight gain by using lighter cabinet materials.

DJMC
02-06-2012, 01:02 PM
that explain things....

DJ MC is a Sacramento Wedding DJ (http://www.dj-mc.com) who specializes in non-cheesy reception and private events.

windspeed36
02-06-2012, 02:16 PM

Particularly when you could buy PRX cabinets (already with power amps built in) for less money!

DJMC is a Sacramento Wedding DJ (http://www.dj-mc.com) who specializes in non-cheesy receptions and private events.

You get what you pay for, and they were some really really nice cabs and combos. Especially 715's on 718's.

We should find out when JBL releases their new 2012 catalog

ksmalk08
02-06-2012, 02:53 PM

I guess it all depends what kind of perspective you put it in...
The SRX series is dirt cheap compared to real tour-grade passive boxes.

I could buy a lot of powered cabs, including the PRX, for less money than the passive SRX's, but I still don't think I would get the same versatility/durability/performance they offered.

I was always accustomed to hearing the stereotype that, for the price, the performance from the SRX was good. For $5K, two SRX728's on a QSC PL380 is a killer combination for me.

Bill Fitzmaurice
02-08-2012, 06:37 PM
According to websites that i've seen, the VRX and SRX series from JBL are being discontinued.
Does that include this one?

http://www.jblpro.com/press/index.html

Discontinuation of a line is usually accompanied by the release of a new one.

windspeed36
02-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Does that include this one?

http://www.jblpro.com/press/index.html

Discontinuation of a line is usually accompanied by the release of a new one.
JBL Hasn't officially said anything but i've seen retailers displaying discontinued signs on the SRX and VRX products. Also JBL hasn't released their 2012 catalog even though were nearly halfway through February and NAMM has been and gone

Bill Fitzmaurice
02-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Manufacturers keep discontinued products close to the vest. They don't want to have to blow them out at a deep discount any sooner than they have to. Since JBL didn't make any announcement at NAMM they probably have too much inventory on hand to clear them out yet. Or the rumors are just rumors. Neo isn't going away.

ampnation
02-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Just speculating, but I'm guessing the SRX replacement will be called the STX since the VRX replacement is the VTX. Notice that T follows R in the alphabet. Next in line after SRX and STX would be SUX. ROFL.

windspeed36
02-13-2012, 12:01 AM
Just speculating, but I'm guessing the SRX replacement will be called the STX since the VRX replacement is the VTX. Notice that T follows R in the alphabet. Next in line after SRX and STX would be SUX. ROFL.

You know the difference between the VRX and VTX boxes yeah?

USDJ
02-13-2012, 02:35 AM
I have a pair of SRX715's. For a 2 way pole speaker it's incredible what these will do if pushed with the right amp. I use a Crown I-Tech 4000 with great success. I've had them for about 3 year now, never a problem.

avguy
02-18-2012, 01:15 PM
You know the difference between the VRX and VTX boxes yeah?
Improved rigging and response at the very least.
I have on very good authority that the VTX knocks the socks off VRX.

windspeed36
02-18-2012, 05:36 PM
The VRX boxes are from memory 875W continuous - designed for mobile use for bands, DJ's and
Hire, the VTX array system weighs in at 182lbs with a continuous power rating of 6000w - the VTX is designed to compete with the L-Acoustics K1, Meyer Milo and EAW KF760 - all of these are large format arrays designed for stadiums an cost atleast $30,000+ a box compared to around $2000

avguy
02-19-2012, 03:40 PM
K1 and VTX are not in the same market class.

windspeed36
02-19-2012, 03:42 PM
You get my point... The VTX and the VRX are for completely different uses

windspeed36
02-19-2012, 03:43 PM
And anyway they are - they may not be of the same quality but they are both targeted at large installs and tours.