PDA

View Full Version : Numark Dj In A Box

Inversity
02-06-2012, 01:55 AM
Hello, I am looking for a dj controller. The Dj In A Box looks nice but I need to know......... Does it have a USB ?

Andrew B
02-06-2012, 02:16 AM
Which Numark DJ In A Box are you referring to?

DJ Gridiron
02-06-2012, 03:06 AM
I read that the dj in a box isn't very good

S.Michael
02-06-2012, 04:55 AM
I read that the dj in a box isn't very good

No it is not very good at all, it is cheap gear that will not last.

Nicadraus
02-06-2012, 05:38 AM
No it is not very good at all, it is cheap gear that will not last.

True, Plus it's a waste of money, time and effort.

Manu
02-06-2012, 05:44 AM
Get some toilet rolls with it, if you see what I mean...

nolimitz
02-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Don't do it! everything in that package is crap. The turntables are belt-driven which are not good at all. Not that accurate and if u plan on scratching, these will NOT do well. The mixer is also crap. The crossfader will bleed within a few weeks and i doubt the sound quality of the mixer is even half-decent. Stay away from anything "in a box" Save your money and get quality equipment.

finalcoyote
02-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Sadly, DJ equipment really comes at a premium nowadays.
I've never owned a piece of Numark equipment, but I've also never known any good DJ's who use Numark equipment.

Spend some more money and get quality gear.

JohnnyGraz
02-06-2012, 08:13 AM
Sadly, DJ equipment really comes at a premium nowadays.
I've never owned a piece of Numark equipment, but I've also never known any good DJ's who use Numark equipment.

Spend some more money and get quality gear.

I agree that the DJ-in-a-box's are generally all junk. However, I disagree about the Numark products as a whole. The Numark V7 is widely regarded as one of the BEST and more durable/well built MIDI controllers on the market at the moment.

DJ Weatherman
02-06-2012, 09:19 AM
like everyone has already said, save your money, you will end up spending more in the long run.

Jason Cerna
02-06-2012, 10:24 AM
always keep this in mind when spending money on dj equipment.

you buy cheap, you buy twice.

Budzak
02-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Considering that MIDI controllers are very much a thing these days, it's shocking to me that the DJ-in-a-box still exists.

For what it's worth, it's terrible gear. Don't get it.

Muggz
02-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Stay away from it! Dj in a box is crap.

JonnyFlash
02-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Numark does make some quality pieces of equipment but all of their older beginner stuff is pretty low quality. But their high end stuff is great. Like the V7 that was mentioned the V6 is nice as is their higher end mixers and my favorite product of their's the HDX and CDX.

djshire
02-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Advice for all of you: anything that says "DJ in a box" is garbage. Build your own setup, do your research, find the best stuff for you what you're doing.

Rick_N
02-06-2012, 04:41 PM
:mad: No No No No, dont buy that junk. Save up and buy once, look at it as an investment, either used or new doesnt matter. Atleast you'll know that if you end up disliking dj'ing after a year you'll be able to recoup some of your investment.

JohnnyGraz
02-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Numark does make some quality pieces of equipment but all of their older beginner stuff is pretty low quality. But their high end stuff is great. Like the V7 that was mentioned the V6 is nice as is their higher end mixers and my favorite product of their's the HDX and CDX.

You must mean the NS6. But yes, glad someone agrees. The V7 and NS6 are as solid as they come nowadays.

Inversity
02-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Well thanks for all the info guys. but I am BARELY on the edge of beginning, I am still practicing my CUEing and crossfading. And I did some research and found out that the Dj In A Box is Vinyls and iPod :(
Does anyone know any good usb dj controllers for beginners?

DYM
02-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Well, whats your budget?

dskreet
02-06-2012, 09:44 PM

TRUTH. Same some more money and get a better set up.

Inversity
02-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Well , like I was saying I'm a beginner. And I'm only 14 years old. So I'm not sure if I want to buy equipment over $1,000 and so.

Inversity
02-06-2012, 09:46 PM
And my budget is only about $200.

Sigma
02-06-2012, 09:49 PM
I 100% agree with the "buy cheap, buy twice" thing.

If you're positive that DJing is for you and you can afford it or you won't have to save up for years, then get decent gear from the off. It performs better, it lasts longer, and if you do need to sell it, you'll get more money back for it.

But, everyone's financial situations are different and some gear is better than no gear. When I started out I used BSR turntables that cost £5 each second hand and didn't even have pitch controls, but they allowed me to learn the basics of scratching (and a little bit of mixing) and got me used to handling vinyl, cueing it up and so on, so I had a big head start when I finally got decent gear.

Inversity
02-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks Sigma. And does anyone know a good pair of usb turntables % mixer for around $200 ?

DYM
02-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Well I would say go with a midi controller if you just want to touch the basics... If you can stretch your budget about a hundred bucks I would say jump for a VMS 2... solid build and decent quality components. Comes with VDJ LE so you can mess around on the computer with the controller (IDJNow VMS2 Link (http://www.idjnow.com/StoreModules/ProductDetails.aspx/PID=VMS2--BranchID=--DepartmentID=DJ%20Media%20Controllers--SubDeptID=All%20DJ%20Media%20Controllers--CategoryID=--DeID=0--SRCH=))

Hausgeist
02-06-2012, 10:19 PM
I bought a pair of used Numark tt-100s with a janky two channel mixer (Gemini pmx60, I used it for shits and giggles when I first got it, then put I it in the closet) for $112 on ebay. You can generally find them for $30-50 each. I have been using this pair for over a year, and they work fine. The decks' actual age is probably around eight to ten years old, give or take, considering they were discontinued in 2002. Who knows how long these will last, just for me to fart around on at home.

They are decent enough for mixing, but forget trying to scratch. The torque is simply way too low for any of that. The plus side is that after using low torque decks, mixing with 1200s will be a breeze (for a few different reasons). Anyway, my point is that if you look around, you can find inexpensive stuff that is reasonbly decent for a home setup. Still, I agree, the new low end Numark stuff is meh.

Sigma
02-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Thanks Sigma. And does anyone know a good pair of usb turntables % mixer for around $200 ?
I don't and I would say check out eBay and the like (but be selective and wary!), but if you have your heart set on DJing a certain way then don't compromise that. If you want turntables, get turntables. Don't buy a $100 second hand controller.

Manu
02-07-2012, 04:41 AM
That's quite the numark consensus. Serves them right after trying to sell poor products and giving the worst customer service when said poor products break down

I bought a pair of used Numark tt-100s with a janky two channel mixer (Gemini pmx60, I used it for shits and giggles when I first got it, then put I it in the closet) for $112 on ebay. You can generally find them for $30-50 each. I have been using this pair for over a year, and they work fine. The decks' actual age is probably around eight to ten years old, give or take, considering they were discontinued in 2002. Who knows how long these will last, just for me to fart around on at home.

They are decent enough for mixing, but forget trying to scratch. The torque is simply way too low for any of that. The plus side is that after using low torque decks, mixing with 1200s will be a breeze (for a few different reasons). Anyway, my point is that if you look around, you can find inexpensive stuff that is reasonbly decent for a home setup. Still, I agree, the new low end Numark stuff is meh.

I remember a conversation we had some time ago and how you outgrew them fairly quickly.

OP: I reckon you could find a pair of used numark TT-500s for that budget. It's still not the best stuff but decent enough to get you started. The other option is: you could just buy one quality second hand turntable such as technics or stanton st-150. One deck is enough to get the basics down and you can beatmatch along to the radio or any other source available.

Keep looking around for a couple of weeks before making a purchase, you will be much better off sitting back and not rushing, patience is how you scoop the best deals.

Mixer: plenty of cheapo mixers around the 20 dollar mark or even less. I even got 2 for free as people were getting rid.

Dj Real 2009
02-07-2012, 07:54 AM
If your talking about the battle pak.....It's good if your not sure about djing. If your experienced.....don't buy it.

KLH
02-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Well , like I was saying I'm a beginner. And I'm only 14 years old. So I'm not sure if I want to buy equipment over $1,000 and so... And my budget is only about $200.
I highly recommend buying a temporary/disposable setup as you save for a decent setup. Doing so will allow you to start learning the basics and building a music collection.

Example setups include the Discover DJ - and not much else - unless you consider iDJay for iOS devices...

Seriously, being a DJ is expensive. The setup, amplifying the sound, and building a music library are all expensive endeavors. If you can't save, just play DJ Hero and enjoy the fact that you can get the DJ "feeling" without the expense.

-KLH

Hausgeist
02-07-2012, 11:46 AM
I remember a conversation we had some time ago and how you outgrew them fairly quickly.

I recall the discussion, but my initial dissatisfaction was with the low torque and with the resulting inability to make adjustments by nudging or dragging the record, platter, or spindle. Basically, they forced me to learn how to ride the pitch. Now that I know how to do that, they are perfectly fine for me, and I do not plan on getting new turntables until this pair gives up the ghost. So the case is not that I outgrew them, but rather I needed to grow into them. I still recommend the tt-100 as a low cost option for a home setup.

Manu
02-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Fair points. It's true that you end up pitch riding a lot with these, but the good side is you acquire and perfect that skill.

Hausgeist
02-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Fair points. It's true that you end up pitch riding a lot with these, but the good side is you acquire and perfect that skill.

Exactly. :tup:

Manu
02-07-2012, 12:19 PM
I don't miss that pair of plastic tt1250s or whatever that was :lol:

about the lack of torque: pain in the backside, but (see what i did here) a good pair of slipmats helps...

Hausgeist
02-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Oh yeah man. I use flying carpets under my slips.

Manu
02-07-2012, 12:28 PM
^^ that's one of the best options. Reminds me of one day I went to try a pair of Sony DJ decks, I swear I could almost almost stop the platter just by looking at it. Avoid!

Inversity
02-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Hahaha, thanks guys. And I looked at the Numark TTI and they look pretty good. and I'll save up until I have around $800-1000 and then I'll buy professional gear (:

BuddyUK
02-08-2012, 03:14 AM
As far as all the numark bashing goes, i'd buy one of their old mixers (early 90's) in a flash, some of you youngsters don't remember but back in the day Numark were the Rolls Royce of mixers. As for their record players go don't be daft get yourself a pair of Technics mk2's and they will last you a lifetime. also on the Numark tip:

http://www.djstore.com/images/products/large/num/numdm950.jpg

Bought (two) of these more than 6 years ago, everybody here scoffed and said it wouldn't last 6 months, still works like new today, also still got a spare in storage in case it breaks down, how many mixers and how many ££££'s have you lads spent on mixers since then?

Nicadraus
02-08-2012, 04:21 AM
As far as all the numark bashing goes, i'd buy one of their old mixers (early 90's) in a flash, some of you youngsters don't remember but back in the day Numark were the Rolls Royce of mixers. As for their record players go don't be daft get yourself a pair of Technics mk2's and they will last you a lifetime. also on the Numark tip:

Bought (two) of these more than 6 years ago, everybody here scoffed and said it wouldn't last 6 months, still works like new today, also still got a spare in storage in case it breaks down, how many mixers and how many ££££'s have you lads spent on mixers since then?

I still have a similar mixer but in blue (DM905). The mixer is still working great except that the separate power supply is busted. :P

fueledbymusic
02-11-2012, 01:11 AM
Buy a good used sys that's better for the same price. Better than nothing

fueledbymusic
02-11-2012, 01:14 AM

I had one of these too before. It was a good basic mixer. Worked great for me the last time I had.

fueledbymusic
02-11-2012, 01:20 AM
Hahaha, thanks guys. And I looked at the Numark TTI and they look pretty good. and I'll save up until I have around $800-1000 and then I'll buy professional gear (:

You can also get gear used that is twice as good for the same price as buying the new gear that is not quite as good.

Kingbob182
02-11-2012, 04:15 AM
the one I got (4 years ago) only allowed pitch changes in 1% incriments.
Made beatmatching litereally impossible.
Had to change all my tracks to the same bpm one by one on my computer before I could mix

Manu
02-11-2012, 04:27 AM
everybody here scoffed and said it wouldn't last 6 months, still works like new today

I probably was part of the scoff bandwagon. They released too many lemons through their whole range, I hope you won't ever have to deal with their (also notoriously horrendous) customer service..

They used to be good, in the 90's. Now we're in 2012, they're bottom barrel.

Hausgeist
02-11-2012, 07:06 AM
the one I got (4 years ago) only allowed pitch changes in 1% incriments.
Made beatmatching litereally impossible.
Had to change all my tracks to the same bpm one by one on my computer before I could mix

1%? Assuming you are talking about cd players, I am almost certain you mean .1%. At that level, you may not always be able to get a super tight lock, but .1% is a perfectly acceptable pitch resolution for mixing. You just have to keep an ear on your mix and use the jog wheel to nudge the tracks back in sync when they begin to drift.

Ellissentials
02-11-2012, 07:30 AM
I'd just like to say "cheers" to EVERYONE in this thread for not bashing this kid. This is absolutely DJF 2.0 at its finest!

Attempting to rep you all, sorry if I missed you

@OP: I started off with a "Crate Battle Pack".... $200... worst buy EVER. Listen to the recommendations in this thread, they are very very helpful.

Chay
02-11-2012, 07:41 AM
I'd just like to say "cheers" to EVERYONE in this thread for not bashing this kid. This is absolutely DJF 2.0 at its finest!

Attempting to rep you all, sorry if I missed you

@OP: I started off with a "Crate Battle Pack".... $200... worst buy EVER. Listen to the recommendations in this thread, they are very very helpful.

There's a first to everything right? :P

Lost Connection
02-11-2012, 07:51 AM
There's a first to everything right? :P

Exactly! I'd rep ya both Chris and Chay, but too much repping in the last 24 hours :)

djcrazyfresh
02-11-2012, 12:13 PM
ok so before i found out about this site i got a battle pack cause the reviews online were good but from what yall are saying its TRASH so what should i do with mine sell it ?

xsonixs
02-11-2012, 12:18 PM

I think the second part of this quote was: You buy used, you buy nice! This is so true!

Hausgeist
02-11-2012, 12:25 PM
ok so before i found out about this site i got a battle pack cause the reviews online were good but from what yall are saying its TRASH so what should i do with mine sell it ?

Nope. Just relax. Use it and have fun. :tup:

mix4fix
02-11-2012, 12:41 PM
On a side note - if someone has one or two of those cheal Numark turntables, I'm interested (not really interested in the mixer though).

Chay
02-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Exactly! I'd rep ya both Chris and Chay, but too much repping in the last 24 hours :)

No problem! :)

ben mills
02-27-2013, 09:47 PM
I didn't know this product still existed.

ben mills
02-27-2013, 09:57 PM
1%? Assuming you are talking about cd players, I am almost certain you mean .1%. At that level, you may not always be able to get a super tight lock, but .1% is a perfectly acceptable pitch resolution for mixing. You just have to keep an ear on your mix and use the jog wheel to nudge the tracks back in sync when they begin to drift.

This is true, but at .1 you'll be living on the pitch. Even .05 will keep your hand on the jog pretty much the entire time.