PDA

View Full Version : At what height do you have your tops?

rocket's ass
03-28-2012, 04:23 PM
I see that a lot of speaker stands top out at 6 1/2 feet for two ways. Is that high enough? Some of the higher end stands seem to go higher and I've noticed that in some of the pics of your setups.
What height do you guys have your tops depending on the situation?

windspeed36
03-28-2012, 05:30 PM
I have the LF/MF driver aimed at head level. I use mainly either VRX932LAP's or a slightly more normal design - VP7212's. Still i aim them at the crowds head.

Al Poulin
03-28-2012, 07:43 PM
I usually just make sure they are high enough so that the horn is above everyone's heads and the highs will be able to get to the back of the room (and be heard by everyone).

Synaxis
03-28-2012, 10:21 PM
I usually just make sure they are high enough so that the horn is above everyone's heads and the highs will be able to get to the back of the room (and be heard by everyone).

I believe that's the general rules of thumb, above the majority of your crowds' heads. You don't want someone standing in front of the speaker to have music blasting in their face.

windspeed36
03-28-2012, 10:46 PM
I see what your getting at - can't do too much about it with my VRX's because they are horizontally built if you get what I mean and are used in arrays of 2 or 3. Also to clarify, my VP's I use with the HF driver aimed at peoples heads - i know better than to aim 750w MF drivers at peoples heads - 350HF is bad enough... Thats why I'm curious about RCF's new DLine - Something maybe not to overpowering....

DJRockinRob
03-29-2012, 09:14 AM
10 feet off the ground usually. Depnds on the value and what I feel like doing that day. A lot depends on my mood. Sometimes its 13feet or 10 or even feet. It just depends. I also ask the clients their opinion as well.

Great qustion though.

God Bless!

Sween
03-29-2012, 09:16 AM
10 feet off the ground usually. Depnds on the value and what I feel like doing that day. A lot depends on my mood. Sometimes its 13feet or 10 or even feet. It just depends. I also ask the clients their opinion as well.

The clients opinion should have no affect on the height of your tops. And your mood even less! You're the sound guy, not them.

13 feet for speakers???? I highly doubt that! 10 feet is even higher than most speaker stands. I doubt this guy flies his speakers.

Can we ban this troll already?

DJRockinRob
03-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Sween how would you know what I do?

DJRoladecks
03-29-2012, 10:23 AM

What kind of response do you expect after this? Seriously, most of the stuff I read from your spamming these treads doesn't contribute squat.

Great qustion though.

I'd almost consider this contributing to the thread. As far as my contribution, I agree with the others. I put my low/mid driver around head level and get my tweeter (high feq. drivers) above head level. When the room fills up with people you can still clearly hear whats going on in music and announcements from the back of the room. For most speakers this is in the 4-6 foot range off the dance floor.

God Bless!

Indeed. Right back at ya.

DJRockinRob
03-29-2012, 11:07 AM
the reason I said all those different heights is because every venue is different and the speakers may very well be at different heights if im set up on a stage or something elevated. Most of the time if I'm on level ground I'll usually have them around the 6 foot mark maybe a little bit taller.

sorry for any confusion i might have caused.

God Bless!

wilson
03-29-2012, 11:58 AM
You on iRock 109?

rocket's ass
03-29-2012, 03:07 PM
First he said...
10 feet off the ground usually...

Then he said...

...I'll usually have them around the 6 foot mark maybe a little bit taller.

It's not a tough question is it?

fat8ack
03-29-2012, 03:14 PM

Great qustion though.

God Bless!

The value? I don't get it and if my clients set up my sound the speakers would be on the ground.

Ntertainment
03-30-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm with RockinRob on this one. First i ask client if they would like 10' or 13' and if they don't answer i just don't bring tops to the event and since i also don't bring a sub that means they get no sound!

fat8ack
04-03-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm with RockinRob on this one. First i ask client if they would like 10' or 13' and if they don't answer i just don't bring tops to the event and since i also don't bring a sub that means they get no sound!

Seriously???? You are the DJ, sound guy, entertainer......I put my tops right at head high, where they should be so the horns will project through the whole venue and the woofers will hit everyone on the dance floor right in the face. I always use a sub, everyone like nice deep bass drops in dance music, and tops just dont even come close. My clients trust me to know what to do, if I was hiring a DJ and he asked me how to set up his sound......I would find someone else that is confident that they know what they are being hired for, to DJ and make it sound good.

Ntertainment
04-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Seriously????
NO not serisously.

Al Poulin
04-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Seriously???? You are the DJ, sound guy, entertainer......I put my tops right at head high, where they should be so the horns will project through the whole venue and the woofers will hit everyone on the dance floor right in the face. I always use a sub, everyone like nice deep bass drops in dance music, and tops just dont even come close. My clients trust me to know what to do, if I was hiring a DJ and he asked me how to set up his sound......I would find someone else that is confident that they know what they are being hired for, to DJ and make it sound good.

You seriously need to have your sarcasm detector serviced. ;)

Al

fat8ack
04-03-2012, 01:40 PM
You seriously need to have your sarcasm detector serviced. ;)

Al

No doubt...my bad y'all!!!! haha damn for real I thought he was for real hahahahah:lol:

fat8ack
04-03-2012, 01:41 PM
NO not serisously.

Sweet baby Jesus thank god, and my bad hahaha you had me there!!!

:facepalm:

Sween
04-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Sweet baby Jesus thank god, and my bad hahaha you had me there!!!

:facepalm:

RockinRob is gone, we was a troll. No one was actually being serious.

Brom
04-03-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm 6'4" so I used to set the woofers at my head height since few guests are taller than I am. Now I just set my Ultimate Stands as high as they go which is a bit higher than head height.