PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Suggestions

alphi
03-28-2012, 03:36 PM
I am a bit stubborn when it comes to my equipment and after a lot of searching, find myself at a loss as to what I should buy. I can't find a product that exists that strikes a happy medium for me and has all the functionality I want, I'm hoping someone here might have a good suggestion. Here is my situation:

1) I have a Xone 42 mixer and LOVE it...the way it feels, sounds, everything. I have used all-in-one controllers and while they're great, I like the mixer too much to get rid of and would prefer to stick with a modular setup. What I am looking for is the left and right decks to use with the mixer. I am not a scratch DJ so while V7's and other motorized decks are amazing technology, I wouldn't really use them for their intended purpose.

2) I am a "digital dj" so I use all .mp3's and .wav's...I try to use .wav as much as possible. I like Traktor and would prefer to stay with it since I have an Audio 6 soundcard for it, though I've used Itch and liked it as well (the parallel waveforms are great). Since I don't use CDs and I already have an external soundcard, it'd be a shame to buy CDJs at this point...though I am considering it. I am ALL about button feel, and the cue/play buttons on the Pioneer CDJs makes everything else feel like a toy to me. I think the CDJ-400s would be a great fit, however I don't think they can play .wav files (clarify?) and I am afraid that they are a bit old and "dying technology" at this point. Very open to thoughts here.

3) I would like to stick to something with the typical jogwheel/pitch slider layout: I do baby scratch into tracks, spinbacks, etc so while I'm not a scratch DJ I don't want to lose the functionality entirely.

Given all the above, I chose the Denon SC2000 a few months back since it seemingly fit my requirements perfectly: no soundcard, perfect Traktor integration, jogwheel and pitch slider, decent button feel, etc...however after using them for the last few months almost every weekend, I ABSOLUTELY HATE them. The jogwheel is almost too small to scratch and barely spins fast enough to do a spinback, the cue/play buttons don't respond if you don't hit them right in the center...it just feels like a toy. It's SO CLOSE but I can't stand them anymore, need something else.

Should I get a pair of CDJ400's (can they be used to control .wavs on Traktor/Serato?), cross my fingers that they last me a while, pair them with an external effects controller and call it a day? Or is there some setup I haven't heard of at all that fits the bill? I don't like the way any of the other CDJ's look (the circling LEDs around the jogwheel is a neat look IMO, the NS6 has this too and I like it), but I suppose I could just get over it. Still, I don't need 90% of the functionality of a CDJ, so it feels like it'd be a waste...

Any wisdom?

sss18734
03-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Denon DNS-3700?

You can put them in MIDI-mode and actually assign all the buttons on them to program controls. If you're looking for good platters as well as a practical solution to internal mixing, the Denons are a great choice and very rugged.

alphi
03-28-2012, 04:27 PM
I was seriously debating these a while back - can you talk a little more about them (if you have a pair)? How well do they integrate with Traktor...and I'm assuming I'll still need to use my Audio 6 soundcard?

sss18734
03-28-2012, 05:59 PM
I don't personally own a pair but I've used a fellow DJ's 3700's.

In MIDI-mode the platters use MIDI code, so the response isn't quite up to par to a DVS system or the S4's high resolution jog wheels. But for baby scratches and spinbacks they are more than capable.

The DJ I know uses them with Serato, but I don't see why they wouldn't integrate with Traktor. In MIDI mode, you wouldn't need to use anything more than the Audio 2. If you decide to use them with timecode, you'll need the Audio 6.

alphi
03-29-2012, 02:23 PM
I'll check those out at guitar center this week sometime.

Any other suggestions?

KLH
03-29-2012, 02:57 PM
You really are at a crossroads. I loved the NS7 but felt that I had to move to the S4 to get sampling. Maybe you're at the same place with your mixer.

Here are some alternatives that come to mind:

* No changes - get used to the SC2000.
* CDJ-400s or DN-S1200s - Gives you more than you need, but having a backup is never a bad thing
* Traktor X1s - Gives you minimally what you need - and is affordable - but may not be the experience that you're looking for.
* Replace everything with an S4 - Gives you more than what you need, but you'll miss the Xone
* S2/S4 + Xone 42 - Kludgy but gives you best of both worlds
* Sell everything and live under a bridge

Your situation is kinda like mine in that we're both looking for a S1 - a single deck controller like this:

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27182&d=1332285479

Hopefully, NI will make this real. I think that a LOT of DJs would snap this up if it were $250 or less in price. I'd love to have dedicated controllers for decks C and D in Traktor.

-KLH

alphi
04-01-2012, 11:07 PM
I think sir that I might be about to make you very happy :)

I give you what is HOPEFULLY the solution to my (and I gather many other's) problem: the Behringer CMD PL-1 (and for anyone interested in modular midi components, the entire rest of the CMD line).

Unfortunately it hasn't been released yet so I who knows how it will "feel", but it seems like they've done everything right so my fingers are crossed. Go do a little research on them - they're only $150, should work with all the major DJ software products and seem to have everything I've been looking for.

Here's a good start: http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/01/20/behringers-cmd-line-modular-dj-controllers-on-a-budget/

LoveBass
04-02-2012, 08:27 AM
turntables will feel awesome! timecode vibes

MeowMix
04-02-2012, 09:33 AM
I think sir that I might be about to make you very happy :)

I give you what is HOPEFULLY the solution to my (and I gather many other's) problem: the Behringer CMD PL-1 (and for anyone interested in modular midi components, the entire rest of the CMD line).

Unfortunately it hasn't been released yet so I who knows how it will "feel", but it seems like they've done everything right so my fingers are crossed. Go do a little research on them - they're only $150, should work with all the major DJ software products and seem to have everything I've been looking for.

Here's a good start: http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/01/20/behringers-cmd-line-modular-dj-controllers-on-a-budget/

My main issue with the PL-1 is that it doesnt have a dedicated loop section. Although the price is right and it look pretty damn nice.

There is also another option, the Reloop Contour

http://www.djtechtools.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Reloop-Contour-Controller-Edition.jpg

alphi
04-03-2012, 12:40 AM
My main issue with the PL-1 is that it doesnt have a dedicated loop section.[/IMG]

I noticed that, it's very true and I'm shocked they wouldn't include that...though I suppose two things are true: one is that the price is so low that you could pair it with an X1 to gain some of the Traktor functionality back. Two is that if you want to get creative (and don't need 8 cue points as I really don't) you could bind a row of cue buttons to loop functions.

I looked at the Reloop as well. I'd love to hear from someone who has one?

punky
04-03-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm hoping that the PL-1 is going to be awesome as well. I think they're due in a few months so if you can hold out, do so. You can sell your SC2000s and get a ton of cool Behringer CMD stuff.

MeowMix
04-03-2012, 03:41 PM
I noticed that, it's very true and I'm shocked they wouldn't include that...though I suppose two things are true: one is that the price is so low that you could pair it with an X1 to gain some of the Traktor functionality back. Two is that if you want to get creative (and don't need 8 cue points as I really don't) you could bind a row of cue buttons to loop functions.

I looked at the Reloop as well. I'd love to hear from someone who has one?

The way i thought about getting around it was to map the TAP button as the LOOP IN/OUT function and the pitch bend buttons as the LOOP SIZE +/- ones.

The only issue is that it would have to be able to give my LED feedback for when the loop is active (could be solid state or blinking as long as its something).