PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Question!

Kdub
03-28-2012, 02:39 PM
I am new to the world of djing, I have done all my research, I have a love for music and I want to start mixing in my own style to everyday songs. The only problem is I am not sure which computer based controller to get... My options are the Hercules RMX, Vestax Typhoon, or the Numark Mixtrack Pro. If any of you have owned these or have any kind of feed back please share!

BurntToast
03-28-2012, 03:55 PM
I think many people here will recommend a Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S2. You can find them with the software for cheap if you look around.

ampnation
03-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Kdub. what's your budget?

Fred McLovin
03-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Keyword : Budget !! :)

Kdub
03-29-2012, 09:55 AM
My budget is between $250 - $350

KLH
03-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Stretch $50 and get the S2...

-KLH

JohnXVI
03-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Several sellers on eBay have the S2 for $399 or better offer. Send them your deal. The worst thing that could happen is for them to say no. Only work one deal at a time because I can't remember if you have to buy when the offer is accepted.

MeowMix
03-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Several sellers on eBay have the S2 for $399 or better offer. Send them your deal. The worst thing that could happen is for them to say no. Only work one deal at a time because I can't remember if you have to buy when the offer is accepted.

Isnt the S2 selling new for 399 now? Im pretty sure NI dropped the price recently.

hoff
03-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Esss twoooo

JohnXVI
03-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Isnt the S2 selling new for 399 now? Im pretty sure NI dropped the price recently.

Those are new and from authorized dealers in some cases.

Andrew B
03-30-2012, 11:29 AM

Offer ends in a couple of days. It was a limited-time deal.

ampnation
03-30-2012, 02:36 PM
I agree the S2 is a possibility if a) you can find someone willing to shave off another $50 TODAY. (the special pricing ends tomorrow IIRC) or b) you can come up with a few extra dollars. The difference between it and any of the options you list is striking for several reasons.

Better materials used like the metal casing
Comes with the FULL PRO VERSION of Traktor... not an LE version. This is huge.
If you want to hook up to a pro level speaker, a PA speaker with XLR balanced inputs vs. RCA stereo, you won't need a 2nd box to do that with because it has balanced outputs. It has the RCA's too.

I think that $399 number is a temporary MAP or Max. Advertised Price that Native Instruments tells their authorized dealers. They can't ADVERTISE a lower price, but they can quote a lower price in a personal conversation.

Now if you can't pull that deal off, your best bet IMO is to ask people here who have used more than one of the above how the faders, esp. the crossfader, compares. AND... how the platters compare.

I know the RMX and the Mixtrack Pro are regular recommendations and Vestax in general, but I usually see other Vestax controllers mentioned like the VCI-100 or 300 or their variations. So, I'm not sure if the Typhoon is good or not.

Good Luck

ampnation
03-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Checked... the deal is today (March 30) and tomorrow. Price goes back up April 1.

DjAaron
03-30-2012, 04:16 PM
I agree to get the S2. Traktor is a great software and the S2 is perfect for it if you want to run just 2 decks and samples. I personally would go with a 4 deck but that's just me. I like having a free channel to plug in a cd player or Ipod incase my laptop fails.

Right now pssl.com has them also for $399 right now. I would call them and talk to a rep and see what they can do on the price for you. I go there all the time and they help me out with pricing which is really cool