PDA

View Full Version : Teardown of Pioneer PLX-1000 - a look at the insides

funkyant
02-08-2015, 12:33 PM
I've started a new technical/ educational blog for DJs, VJs, and people just generally into professional Audio Visual and electronics.

I'm new at this, all feedback is welcome :)

Here is my second video where I tear apart a brand new PLX-1000 and take a look at the interior build and design quality, and discover its pretty terrible feedback rejection performance :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNzMcH2ZbtU

pete
02-08-2015, 01:41 PM
really good and detailed tear-down and review.
you seem to have covered all the bases and given an objective view.

TheRabbitMonk
02-08-2015, 02:56 PM
would of been funny if you opened it and there was hamster just doing laps.

funkyfresh
02-08-2015, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the review. Have you opened up the Reloop turntable for comparison to the Technics?

Johnny Drama
02-09-2015, 04:29 AM
I REALLY enjoyed that review, very good work !

I don't know if you ever seen ViperFranks's epic SL12x0 tutorials (best ones you can find) ?
I rate this review on the same level, hope to see more of your reviews in the future.

On a sidenote, this video totally destroys the PXL...there is still no substitute for the techies (and there never will).

LJay
02-09-2015, 05:16 AM
This is the best PLX1000 review so far. THANK YOU!

I wish someone would now do a comparison between Reloop RP7000 and PLX1000.

DTR
02-09-2015, 07:15 AM
I haven't watched the full video yet (I'm at work), but as we all expected, the internals look remarkably similar to the Super OEM.

Citronic PD45:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t63/davetherave_11/DSC00793-1.jpg

Nicadraus
02-09-2015, 07:47 AM
Now there. I knew from the time I saw it in actual. Another copycat that is not worth it.

I was actually tempted to buy one just to open it up and study it's internal for future servicing. This video did it for me.

James Martin
02-09-2015, 08:55 AM
Interesting, but I have several issues with the reviewer. One it's open box the he didn't mentioned if it came from retailer as a return did he have it shipped to Dubai from a friend etc so it safe to say it's not new and more than likely it's defective. Not seeing Pioneer releasing a product with that kind of feedback during a simple noise test that my AT LP1240 would pass. Also he disassembled it before testing well at least he didn't test it first live. It's easy for someone to reassemble something and forget or didn't notice that a critical connection came off during a teardown because that feedback is major that unit has to be defective. As for the internals of the unit, it's a modular construction, critical parts that are replaceable and can be easily removed stands the reason for the single side PCB boards and also the pitch slider and circuit board are replaceable as a unit. As for the optical sensor on the turntable they are far more reliable than any magnetic sensor. Auto manufacturers been using those type of sensors ranging from camshaft to crankshaft and to ignition distributors and believe me automobiles endure more issues with weather dirt and grime than any turntable would be subject too so magnetic sensors are reliable.
Is it me or do something looks wrong with the RCA towards the end of the video for the noise test, the RCA on the Pioneer are to the immediate left of the tonearm from the front view, and the ground wire is the immediate left of the RCA cables looking at the video it's the opposite.

As for the noise test do anyone on the forum have the PLX1000 to confirm this?

Johnny Drama
02-10-2015, 01:54 AM
I guess this could confirm it:

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?46134-My-Pioneer-PLX-1000-vent

funkyant
02-10-2015, 08:30 AM
Interesting, but I have several issues with the reviewer. One it's open box the he didn't mentioned if it came from retailer as a return did he have it shipped to Dubai from a friend etc so it safe to say it's not new and more than likely it's defective. Not seeing Pioneer releasing a product with that kind of feedback during a simple noise test that my AT LP1240 would pass. Also he disassembled it before testing well at least he didn't test it first live. It's easy for someone to reassemble something and forget or didn't notice that a critical connection came off during a teardown because that feedback is major that unit has to be defective. As for the internals of the unit, it's a modular construction, critical parts that are replaceable and can be easily removed stands the reason for the single side PCB boards and also the pitch slider and circuit board are replaceable as a unit. As for the optical sensor on the turntable they are far more reliable than any magnetic sensor. Auto manufacturers been using those type of sensors ranging from camshaft to crankshaft and to ignition distributors and believe me automobiles endure more issues with weather dirt and grime than any turntable would be subject too so magnetic sensors are reliable.
Is it me or do something looks wrong with the RCA towards the end of the video for the noise test, the RCA on the Pioneer are to the immediate left of the tonearm from the front view, and the ground wire is the immediate left of the RCA cables looking at the video it's the opposite.

As for the noise test do anyone on the forum have the PLX1000 to confirm this?

Hi James, thanks for your feedback (pardon the pun). I just want to answer as much as I can for clarification purposes.

I can confirm that this unit was used for a previous review, hence why you correctly noted that I was not the first to open that box. It was not 'shipped by a friend' or anything dodgy like that. In the beginning of the vid I am actually driving to the offices of Hype Magazine in Dubai to pick it up.

I have worked as an authorised Pioneer Pro DJ repair agent in the past. I have worked with various divisions of Pioneer over the past 20 years, having even visited one of the Pioneer factory floors in the 90's and can say that I literally 'wrote the English manual' for their RMV videowall products in the 90's. I can confirm that the unit is not faulty or defective, and feel that I'm pretty qualified to make that statement. However I did double, triple check my work due to the unexpected results. However I am only human, and I cannot fully exclude that the problem only exists with this unit until I get my hands on another one to test.

Feedback is a result of acoustic resonance, and in this case has nothing to do with the electrical design. If I left a critical component off, this most likely wouldn't affect the acoustic performance of the body design in any significant way.

With regards to your comments about optical sensors, anybody who has done a bit of work with stepper motors using optical rotary encoder feedback would indeed confirm that the opto unit is the most common fault with this kind of circuit design, and is normally your first port of call when going in to troubleshoot. Just ask any technician that works in the lighting industry on moving heads. To explain further, having had Technics come in to the workshop for repair from liquid spills more times than I could possibly remember, my main concern is with the location of this wheel, being at the base of the spindle, where any foreign matter usually ends up.

I'm not sure what you saw with the cabling in the test, but I can confirm everything was connected as it should be. Again I'm only human but somebody with my experience doesn't usually make mistakes like that, and after the anomalous results I double checked every single thing that could have been in error. I even retested with the Technics on the left side and Pioneer on right - just in case the resonance was coming from the table or something!

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to do my best to answer them, or even go back and re-test if somebody really does find a flaw in my method.

Best,

James (Ant) Field

Nicadraus
02-10-2015, 09:25 AM
^^^Very well said.

By the way, I have a friend who works at DJ Corner in Dubai. You might know him. His name is Rocky.

:)

funkyant
02-10-2015, 09:37 AM
I have done some business with the guys at Desert Beat Trading (who own DJ Corner), but most of the Pioneer stuff I purchase directly from Pioneer. Don't think I've met Rocky :)

Johnny Drama
02-10-2015, 03:49 PM
This review only confirms my previous thoughts on the PLX (and super OEM in general) after the launch by Pioneer.

It had HanPin written all over it (not only mechanical also wow & flutter, ...).
Resonance was wat drove me to SL's afterusing my super OEM's @ gigs (HTD 4.5)

The only way the PLX could 'better' the current super OEM design was by using better damping.
They dropped the ball and there is no substitute for real rubber (in most cases) but with current prices, that would be to expensive.
And that is/will be the case for all wannabe SL12x0 clones...the materials, parts & tolerances from the original SL12x0 are out of reach for limited sales from today.

I was SHOCKED to see such low quality PCB's and other parts...are all super OEM's that bad ? (never opened up my HTD's)

[O/][iii][O/]
02-16-2015, 11:33 PM
Appears that the top surface of PLX-1000 is an applied veneer to look like brushed aluminum, unlike Technics which is actually real, solid aluminum. Can anyone confirm?

Oh, and then there's this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSwb2DcojLU

funkyant
02-17-2015, 06:11 AM
[iii][O/];433655']Appears that the top surface of PLX-1000 is an applied veneer to look like brushed aluminum, unlike Technics which is actually real, solid aluminum. Can anyone confirm?

Oh, and then there's this...

To be fair, the tonearm wobble can be easily adjusted, however it is pretty bad that they are being shipped from factory out of spec. My demo unit had no such issues.

The body of the PLX is die cast, and it would seem that it would actually be more expensive to add a veneer, rather than just doing a brush finish straight onto the existing metal surface. Adding a veneer would add a whole extra stage to the assembly process, with extra jigs and machinery required to apply it.

[O/][iii][O/]
02-17-2015, 08:38 AM
The body of the PLX is die cast, and it would seem that it would actually be more expensive to add a veneer, rather than just doing a brush finish straight onto the existing metal surface. Adding a veneer would add a whole extra stage to the assembly process, with extra jigs and machinery required to apply it.

Curious then about what this edge seam is about that runs around entire perimeter of top surface if not a recessed inlay area for a veneer to seat flush in. Appears to be two different materials and/or finishes meeting each other. No such seam exists on Technics SL-12XX series.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy304/innerwebs/PLX-1000-seam_zpsfmlrwgt1.png

[O/][iii][O/]
02-18-2015, 05:28 PM
Here's more images that clearly show that seam I was asking about earlier in photos of actual product, not computer generated renderings.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy304/innerwebs/Pioneer%20PLX-1000/pioneer-plx-1000-932539_zpsoili9j4r.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy304/innerwebs/Pioneer%20PLX-1000/plx1000_2-1024x768_zpst9ith3h1.png

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy304/innerwebs/Pioneer%20PLX-1000/tonarmbase2_zpslqiftyvl.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy304/innerwebs/Pioneer%20PLX-1000/Pioneer_PLX_1000_anti_skate_11_zpsmll1bl11.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy304/innerwebs/Pioneer%20PLX-1000/pioneer_plx-1000_details_3_zpsypn7bcyq.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy304/innerwebs/Pioneer%20PLX-1000/pioneer_plx_1000_intermusic_pro_8_zpslea6oatv.jpg

karcevgo
06-03-2015, 02:37 AM
Not a problem. Here we got the Russian version of unpacked item.
https://www.allfordj.ru/news/Pervyy_vzglyad_iznutri_Pioneer_PLX_1000___Obzor_pr ofessionalnogo_vinilovogo_proigryvatelya_/

RFDJ
03-05-2017, 12:40 PM
Hi James, thanks for your feedback (pardon the pun). I just want to answer as much as I can for clarification purposes.

I can confirm that this unit was used for a previous review, hence why you correctly noted that I was not the first to open that box. It was not 'shipped by a friend' or anything dodgy like that. In the beginning of the vid I am actually driving to the offices of Hype Magazine in Dubai to pick it up.

I have worked as an authorised Pioneer Pro DJ repair agent in the past. I have worked with various divisions of Pioneer over the past 20 years, having even visited one of the Pioneer factory floors in the 90's and can say that I literally 'wrote the English manual' for their RMV videowall products in the 90's. I can confirm that the unit is not faulty or defective, and feel that I'm pretty qualified to make that statement. However I did double, triple check my work due to the unexpected results. However I am only human, and I cannot fully exclude that the problem only exists with this unit until I get my hands on another one to test.

Feedback is a result of acoustic resonance, and in this case has nothing to do with the electrical design. If I left a critical component off, this most likely wouldn't affect the acoustic performance of the body design in any significant way.

With regards to your comments about optical sensors, anybody who has done a bit of work with stepper motors using optical rotary encoder feedback would indeed confirm that the opto unit is the most common fault with this kind of circuit design, and is normally your first port of call when going in to troubleshoot. Just ask any technician that works in the lighting industry on moving heads. To explain further, having had Technics come in to the workshop for repair from liquid spills more times than I could possibly remember, my main concern is with the location of this wheel, being at the base of the spindle, where any foreign matter usually ends up.

I'm not sure what you saw with the cabling in the test, but I can confirm everything was connected as it should be. Again I'm only human but somebody with my experience doesn't usually make mistakes like that, and after the anomalous results I double checked every single thing that could have been in error. I even retested with the Technics on the left side and Pioneer on right - just in case the resonance was coming from the table or something!

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to do my best to answer them, or even go back and re-test if somebody really does find a flaw in my method.

Best,

James (Ant) Field

Hello James,

I must say, I really enjoyed that video :-). I was just wondering, why have you taken it down?
I'm an Engineer myself and love teardowns for the really educational value too see how things work.
Hence, I really liked you're review and was just curious why I couldn't find anything similar except for a Russian review posted below by karcevgo.
But unfortunately I don't speak Russian :))).

Anyway, great job on the video and hope you uploaded back sometime.

Cheers!

djsureshot
05-01-2017, 12:05 PM
what happened to the video? Did Pioneer pull it from YouTube?

turbulentmethods
05-05-2017, 04:15 AM
I've seen the Pioneer turntables and they look and feel nothing like the Technics they deel cheaply manufactured with a cool, nice aesthetic look to make it appear like a high quality product. Plus I saw a video on youtube where the Pioneer turntable (can't remember the exact model number) suffered from horrendous low frequency feedback wheras the Technics doesn't.

Sania
05-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Hello! Could you tell me where I can see this video or maybe can you share with me the link by file-sharing service?

Sania
05-08-2017, 12:53 PM
I've started a new technical/ educational blog for DJs, VJs, and people just generally into professional Audio Visual and electronics.

I'm new at this, all feedback is welcome :)

Here is my second video where I tear apart a brand new PLX-1000 and take a look at the interior build and design quality, and discover its pretty terrible feedback rejection performance :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNzMcH2ZbtU

Hello! Could you tell me where I can see this video or maybe can you share with me the link by file-sharing service?