PDA

View Full Version : A website.....still worth investing in.... ?

mojo_scotland
03-28-2012, 09:28 AM
I run a successful clubnight in another venue as a side project to my weekly residency. My facebook fan page is a superb ,free, marketing tool which is a very busy page. The last clubnight i had sold out within 1 hour of the doors being open. Therefore the Facebook page and word of mouth is working very well.

The next step was to create a proper website for the clubnight, but not sure if its really needed and maybe id be best investing my money into other parts of the clubnight instead - ie more club decor etc.

Is a website still a 'must-have' tool to invest in considering most people are now on Facebook ? My Facebook page allows me to do pretty much everything a website would allow me to do.....

Cheers

Mojo

Rek_Aviles
03-28-2012, 09:48 AM
To answer you question, no, it's not worth a heavy investment anymore, but I think its something any business should have. Good question though.

I personally still look for websites, when searching for something specific. I usually find their facebook info after I view the site, so that could be a good reason to still have one and put some effort into it.

Gjhowe1
03-28-2012, 10:07 AM
You could have a nice basic one page website, some graphics, venue name, ect. , then at the bottom state "like us on facebook for more info" with a link. A domain name and hosting costs maybe 40 bucks a year for something simple like that.

MeowMix
03-28-2012, 10:53 AM
A website is not essential but its also not a big investment at all. If you know anyone with basic webdesign skills you can have it down for $100 and a couple of days.

M!TCH
03-28-2012, 10:56 AM
I agree with the above. Use Facebook/MySpace/Twitter/Soundcloud/MixCloud, etc. and utilize those. It's good to just have a simple layout if you want your own domain.

matty1551
03-28-2012, 12:27 PM
When Facebook is gone you'll still have somewhere for your followers to turn. At minimum create a website with a Wordpress theme.

djkvg
03-28-2012, 12:51 PM
IMO a website gives a sense of professionalism... i dunno thats just me lol

Quentin Legend
03-28-2012, 02:02 PM
IMO a website gives a sense of professionalism... i dunno thats just me lol

^---- This.

And you get a personalized email address (Your domain name) which IMHO is sort of a must.

Quasi
03-28-2012, 05:46 PM
I'd say definitely make a website. It really bugs me when I'm looking for a business, band, etc. and they only have a facebook or a myspace.

djfarcyde
03-28-2012, 05:55 PM
When Facebook is gone you'll still have somewhere for your followers to turn. At minimum create a website with a Wordpress theme.

:squint: not sure if srs... Not saying it will never go away but that is pretty spurious reasoning... It's almost like saying "when the traditional internet no longer exists" which would invalidate your argument anyway.

mojo_scotland
03-29-2012, 05:33 AM
completely agree that a website is needed for a band / business....but still not convinced at the merits of one for a clubnight ?? Where facebook page covers everything....

LeFresh
03-29-2012, 08:54 AM
I use blogger and pay $10 a year for a domain name...
$10 is nothing. You'll probably spend more then that today.

Manu
03-30-2012, 04:42 AM
There's one reason why:http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?4733-When-did-soundcloud-become-like-youtube-regarding-copyright-infringement

completely agree that a website is needed for a band / business....but still not convinced at the merits of one for a clubnight ?? Where facebook page covers everything....

give it a little time, and a facebook page quickly morphs into a cluttered wall o'text. Also at some point, facebook will die like myspace and you'll have to do your networking all over again. The advantage of a website is that you just update it, customize it, change the contents as you please, not having spam ads plastered all over the place etc.

DJStevieRay
03-30-2012, 07:28 AM
I would advise a solid WebSite. Social media comes and goes, how often do you see people say, check out my MySpace page anymore? One day Facebook will not be the juggernaut it is today, and something else will supplant it. But your WebSite will always be there for you. Also look how DJF one day just dissappeared, it did make it's triumphant return, but without any of the content that made it so great. So even if Facebook is around for a while, who's to say one day *poof* all your content is gone.

Nicadraus
03-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Websites do help in promoting a business or brand. But for club nights like others have mentioned, it won't be very effective.

My website, although it's a free site, has helped me promote my work and have drawn more clients than word of mouth did when I didn't have the site before. :)