PDA

View Full Version : Buying equipment in Canada

John-y25
01-26-2015, 04:07 PM
Hi Guys,

I was wondering where you guys in Canada buy your gear? It seems everything is more expensive here. I'm looking to buy a new controller, still don't know which one. But, for example, I can't find the DDJ-SX under 1,100$ on Canadian's website, though I can find great deals around 700$ in USA, but doesn't ship to canada, or it cost 150$ to ship here. Even second hand is hard to fin.

Do you guys know a good store here or online store with better pricing or I might pay the extra ?

Thanks

Baller95
01-26-2015, 04:40 PM
Unfortunatly as Canadians, we're stuck paying high prices for electronics.

jejope
01-27-2015, 02:55 AM
Where you at? Did u try looking at kijiji?

John-y25
01-27-2015, 07:26 AM
Yeah Im in quebec. No luck there. I hoped Piomeer would announce a new ddj at the namm so the other like the sr would have drop loll. Anywylay guess i'll wait to find a luck!

alazydj
01-27-2015, 09:02 AM
The loonie sucks atm....Thanks Obama

No but really, I plan on grabbing a Rane 62 (or TTM57Mk2 now) from our friends in the USA and just paying HST over the Ontario border. Since Rane is manufactured in the States there is no tariff to bring it Canuck side.

You can get a 62 down there for $2000...where as the CHEAPEST I've seen it here in Canada is like $2600 before tax.

akswun
01-27-2015, 09:35 AM
Kijiji/Craigslist... If you're new to buying used gear I suggest you really do your research before you commit to buying something from these classifieds

Moog Audio (MTL & Toronto)... A little pricey but they have everything you could want

Long and Mcquade (IMO fair prices considering the value of the loonie).... This is place is your best bet to get gear slightly cheaper and they do sell used equipment.

Canada Computers... Depending on which location you might be able to find a bunch of gear. But no used stuff.

If you really factor in the exchange rate and shipping costs you're pretty much spending the same amount when buying from the U.S. Like try finding something on Ebay. You'll find that shipping will cost you a good chunk making it better to buy locally. Using classifieds is a good way to see what the market is like for certain gear when buying used. Just don't get hoodwinked because there are sooo many shady ass sellers out there.

John-y25
01-27-2015, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the answers guys. I'm planning to go in the USA for a Journey in June.. Maybe i'll try to find one and bring it back here. Thanks a lot

akswun
01-27-2015, 01:14 PM
Just found this on kijiji...

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/city-of-toronto/ddj-sx-limited-edition-white-color/1046088624?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

jejope
01-27-2015, 02:00 PM
Try Electric Sound Crew and AV Shop. They sell equipments thru ebay. Just go to their website. Some of their items are free shipping.

alazydj
01-30-2015, 12:51 PM
AVShop is so over priced on a lot of their gear.

Baller95
01-30-2015, 01:40 PM

Really? That's where I always go since its closest. Otherwise prices seem matched thought the GTA audio stores.

alazydj
02-02-2015, 09:18 PM
I look at their Rane gear vs. Moog

AVShop:

http://www.avshop.ca/dj-equipment/dj-mixers/12-inch-dj-mixers/rane-sixty-four-64-4-channel-serato-dj-mixer

Moog Audio

http://www.moogaudio.com/rane-sixty-four-p-7401.html

EDIT 09/01/15: AVShop has fixed their price while Moog has gone up..... #ThanksHarper

navydiver
02-02-2015, 10:57 PM
For us westerner's I have had some great luck with axemusic in Alberta - for some reason the tax is cheaper and most items are free shipping in Canada.

http://www.axemusic.com/store/

With anything you buy online you do need to know your prices as some items are a deal and others are not.

Baller95
02-03-2015, 08:33 AM
I look at their Rane gear vs. Moog

AVShop:

http://www.avshop.ca/dj-equipment/dj-mixers/12-inch-dj-mixers/rane-sixty-four-64-4-channel-serato-dj-mixer

Moog Audio

http://www.moogaudio.com/rane-sixty-four-p-7401.html

Actually yeah I've seen better deals on Moog, forgot all about that site. For some reason I didn't think it was legit at first.

electricsmooth
02-04-2015, 12:34 AM
For those (like myself) who live close to the border, it is an easy decision to buy from the US. I have an account at a mail pick up service just over the border. They sign for and store your packages and charge $2.50/package.

Usually, if the item is around $300 or less, the border guards just let me through without paying any tax. Otherwise, you just pay the same tax that you would pay here anyways. It was great up until a few months ago when the loonie began to drop. Now I really have to factor in the exchange rate but even then, deals can be found.

si!
02-04-2015, 01:52 AM
AVShop -- if your a CDPJA member, you also get an annual 10% discount which is worth a lot if you buy lots of equipment at once. Shipping can be slow though.

I'm also a regular at Axe Music in Calgary since they are around the corner from my office, and I've picked up some ex-rental stock from L&M.

I get lucky on eBay from time to time .. about a year ago when the CAD was closer to USD, I picked up a brand new CDJ2000NXS for $1500 landed... the other one I paid over $2200 here in Canada. Music123 on ebay has good deals occasionally on used equipment, but poor CAD doesn't help.

contra
02-07-2015, 02:34 PM
Axe Music is great, done a lot of business with them. Same with Moog Audio. Tom Lee Music out of Vancouver is pretty badass too. About a month ago I ordered an Akai keyboard and it was at my front door in two or three days.

KrazyTrain18
02-07-2015, 10:08 PM
AVShop -- if your a CDPJA member, you also get an annual 10% discount which is worth a lot if you buy lots of equipment at once. Shipping can be slow though.

I'm also a regular at Axe Music in Calgary since they are around the corner from my office, and I've picked up some ex-rental stock from L&M.

I get lucky on eBay from time to time .. about a year ago when the CAD was closer to USD, I picked up a brand new CDJ2000NXS for $1500 landed... the other one I paid over $2200 here in Canada. Music123 on ebay has good deals occasionally on used equipment, but poor CAD doesn't help.

How much did you pay on duty ?

avshop.ca
08-31-2015, 10:56 PM
How much did you pay on duty ?
Nothin - we're Canadian, based out of Markham Ontario (just north of Toronto)!

Hey Doug - thanks for the feedback (although not directed at us, its very helpful!)... We have a very powerful system so generally when prices are off by a bit, it means new pricing was issued from the manufacturer and our system automatically updates it, those who have manual systems can take months sometimes to update their prices. We do however offer a price match program where we match or beat Canadian dealers pricing!

If you ever have trouble, feel free to PM me and I'll help you out!

manythings
09-01-2015, 10:40 PM
If anyone is looking for a Pioneer DDJ-SP1 I got one for sale. Holla!

bmorr
09-03-2015, 03:17 PM
Anybody know what a pair of CDJ 850s go for these days? Kijiji bring sup roughly around $1100. I'm looking to sell my CDJ 850s and use the cash towards upgrading to a pair of CDJ 900s mainly because of HID support for Traktor. Anyone know what the markup might be if mine include cases? Also, anyone have any idea what a realistic price for used CDJ 900s would be? I'm seeing ~$1600 but want to confirm.

Also toying with potentially just getting CDJ 400s and using the extra cash towards an NI Kontrol S8 any opinions?

manythings
12-14-2015, 11:43 AM
Anyone looking for a Rane 62? I have one for sale. Give me a shout

akswun
12-15-2015, 08:50 AM
price? The S9 is calling your name isn't it!

cyberphox
12-28-2015, 09:42 AM
Nothin - we're Canadian, based out of Markham Ontario (just north of Toronto)!

Hey Doug - thanks for the feedback (although not directed at us, its very helpful!)... We have a very powerful system so generally when prices are off by a bit, it means new pricing was issued from the manufacturer and our system automatically updates it, those who have manual systems can take months sometimes to update their prices. We do however offer a price match program where we match or beat Canadian dealers pricing!

If you ever have trouble, feel free to PM me and I'll help you out!

I've bought quite a few things from Avshop when I lived in Toronto and still do now that I live in Nova Scotia. Never had any issues! Great place to deal with.

diceallion
12-28-2015, 04:01 PM
[QUOdTE=akswun;464603]price? The S9 is calling your name isn't it![/QUOTE]
im drooling over the S9

manythings
01-07-2016, 12:20 PM
price? The S9 is calling your name isn't it!

Definitely, I already bought one :D.

I'm selling the 62 for $1600. Let me know!

SomeGuy
10-17-2018, 10:24 PM
Late to the party here, but Acclaim Sound and Lighting has always been the first place I go...there are usually deals to be had if you go in store or call them versus just ordering online.