PDA

View Full Version : Traktor Kontrol S4 Club worthy?

FarawaySkies
03-27-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm looking into getting back into the DJ scene, about 6 months ago I had to sell my cdj's due to life's occasional fails. As much as I'd like too, I'm not prepared to drop the kind of money I want to drop to get some cdj's and a good mixer. Instead I've been eyeballing the Traktor Kontrol S4 for a very affordable way back into the dj environment. I shared the idea with a buddy and got a response similar to, "that would be fun for the bedroom but wouldn't take it to the club." It got me thinking, I'm not buying this shit to mix for myself in the bedroom, I want to be clubbing very soon. So I ask to you seasoned pro's, is the Traktor Kontrol S4 rig a bad idea for me considering I am very serious about getting into the clubs? I thought it would be a very convenient way to get back into it, just carry around an S4 and a laptop. No?

sss18734
03-27-2012, 09:18 PM
I'm not a pro club DJ, but a lot of club DJ's seem to look down on people using controllers as their main interface. But it's getting much more common very quickly.

I say as long as your setup is not interfering with the management or the other DJ's, go for it. And if the club has their own CDJ's, you already have experience on them so transitioning should be no issue.

Andrew B
03-27-2012, 09:21 PM
If you're worried about it, then just use the S4 at home and take some CDs or USB sticks to the club.

FarawaySkies
03-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Good points! Here is another question I have to propose. Can I use the S4 in combination with some cdj's? I thought I could use the S4, and later after I save up some more cash I can just throw some cdj's in the mix.

B3NNY
03-27-2012, 09:24 PM
This is a dude that I'm cool with that I met when we both were dj'n at the same club in Boston one night. He's kinda cheesy, but he says it well.
He's not just some youtube dj either, he's been around the block and is fairly succesfull. Edit: SKip to like the 4:40 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ-kp7X58bI&context=C469609eADvjVQa1PpcFOsLIB35-38TO3NbtxVtiXRrAKd3tUwgZg=

FarawaySkies
03-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Well it's the hard truth that I already knew but didn't want to face. Spend 3 grand on dj equipment or GTFO.

sss18734
03-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Good points! Here is another question I have to propose. Can I use the S4 in combination with some cdj's? I thought I could use the S4, and later after I save up some more cash I can just throw some cdj's in the mix.

Yes, you can do this. Althought it may be more trouble than its worth to disconnect the club mixer, space out the CDJ's, and insert your S4 in between. When you are tearing into the club setup during your set, it's unprofessional.

B3NNY
03-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Well it's the hard truth that I already knew but didn't want to face. Spend 3 grand on dj equipment or GTFO.

Basically. I mean I have a S4 that I take out every once in awhile for my bar gig or some other other small gigs , but besides that, it stays at home.

FarawaySkies
03-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Well the idea of using S4 to get my hands dirty mixing but then leaving the S4 at home and use what the club has (usually cdj 1000's) sounds fine. What I had before was CDJ 1000's so I'm already good with them..buuuut if I'm going to spend 800 on a S4, I might as well save up another 1,500 and get some cdj's and a djm. My mind has been made, time to save. thanks guys...especially b3nny for sharing the video. Even though I don't know that fuckin dude I know it's the truth. What I will do for now though is get like a $200 traktor/serato controller and have a little fun for the mean time.

moyo wilde
03-27-2012, 10:46 PM
that dude in the vid was pretty good and he is sooo right. i like my djm 909, but if i had it to do over i would probably get a 800 900. and if i had it to do over i mosdef woulda got serato and not torq, oops. then i would be super comfortable with the features that are used in the clubs and have a few nice tricks. i can use the standard, but i can't do any tricks on them or use anything other than the basic features, ugh.

DJNR
03-28-2012, 01:05 AM
Althought it may be more trouble than its worth to disconnect the club mixer, space out the CDJ's, and insert your S4 in between. When you are tearing into the club setup during your set, it's unprofessional.

You don't need to tear out anything. All you would have to do is put a foam pad over the CDJs, put your Kontrol S4 on top of the foam pad, and plug the outs into one of the channels of the main mixer; much simpler than you are making it out to be.

Is the S4 club worthy? Yes. It has good sound quality, and experiences very little issues. The problem would be whether or not the club would let you use it. I see a lot of controller DJs around here, and thanks to the people over at DJ Tech Tools, people are becoming more aware of controllers.

Will people accept it as "legit"? Probably not for awhile; people, especially DJs, are judgmental.

Should you learn on standard gear? Most definitely. You will run into a situation one time or another

I know you said you made up your mind, but I just wanted to give some insight as to what I thought about the whole situation.

sss18734
03-28-2012, 01:50 AM
You don't need to tear out anything. All you would have to do is put a foam pad over the CDJs, put your Kontrol S4 on top of the foam pad, and plug the outs into one of the channels of the main mixer; much simpler than you are making it out to be.

If he's wanting to USE the CDJ's... there really isn't any way around removing the mixer.

DJNR
03-28-2012, 01:52 AM
If he's wanting to USE the CDJ's... there really isn't any way around removing the mixer.

You unplug the CDJs, and plug them into the S4. You can use timecode along with the S4.

sss18734
03-28-2012, 01:58 AM
You unplug the CDJs, and plug them into the S4. You can use timecode along with the S4.

Well first you're talking about placing the S4 on top of CDJ's...

Now you're saying to just plug the CDJ's into the S4. But now the S4 has to go on top of the mixer to use the CDJ's... talk about awkward positioning.

If you want to use the S4 with a club's CDJ's, the mixer has to go. Big pain in the A.

DJNR
03-28-2012, 02:12 AM
Well first you're talking about placing the S4 on top of CDJ's...

Now you're saying to just plug the CDJ's into the S4. But now the S4 has to go on top of the mixer to use the CDJ's... talk about awkward positioning.

If you want to use the S4 with a club's CDJ's, the mixer has to go. Big pain in the A.

I had originally said CDJs not knowing that he planned on using them. Once you plug into the mixer and set master gain, just put the foam on top and put your S4 on top.

Another thing I did for awhile was just put my S4 on a laptop stand, leaving the mixer exposed :shrug:

Budzak
03-28-2012, 02:57 AM
One of the Bay Area's biggest DJs plays out exclusively using his S4. Doesn't stop him from getting gigs, and doesn't stop him from having awesome sets.

Sure, he didn't start out using a controller, but I'm just saying it doesn't hinder him at all now.

B3NNY
03-28-2012, 03:12 AM
It's a different set of rules when you're already pretty well established

punky
03-28-2012, 09:57 AM
The S4 is great and absolutely clubworthy. Don't listen to what your friend has to say. If you learn Traktor, there are things you can do that he couldn't even dream of on CDJs and a mixer.

FarawaySkies
03-28-2012, 11:23 AM
It's a different set of rules when you're already pretty well established

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. If everybody knew me around here then they would open all their doors to me and let me use whatever the hell I wanted...but they don't. So if a nooby club dj like me shows up to my first gig and start shifting foam pads on all the cdj's and try to set up my S4 I bet i'd be stepping on some shoes and pissin people off lol.

The fact that I'm understanding is if I'm trying to get my foot in the door as a club DJ then I need to learn on the standard that clubs are use to. Maybe once I'm established then I can start bending the rules and throw S4's around lol.

frandomeda
03-28-2012, 12:13 PM
I got an S4 also Technics and a DJM900 and use CDJ2000s regularly... I usually use the S4 when the club is lazy enough to not have anything else... other than that I play on timecode with the DJM900 or just bring the S4... if the club is lazy enough to not buy shit why should I have to haul my stuff everytime...