PDA

View Full Version : Help a beginner - my DJ set-up is really quiet!

williamlocke
01-14-2015, 09:43 AM
Hey guys, I'm new here so be nice.

I've recently bought the following kit for a simple 2-channel vinyl DJ set-up:

2x Stanton T62 turntable
1x Pioneer DJM250 mixer
2x KRK Rokit RP6 active studio monitors
all the appropriate cables

When I set this all up for the first time, the sound from the turntables reached the speakers and my headphones, but it was extremely quiet, despite putting everything to top volume! The levels on my mixer were near enough non-existent, and I've found very little help through Google.

I am wondering if I need to buy to preamplifiers to boost the audio signal from my turntables before they reach my mixer.

However, I have read that a mixer should serve as a preamplifier in itself, leading me to believe that something else is awry.

Any advice would be massively appreciated. Just wanna get practicing!

Cheers.

BigPanda
01-14-2015, 10:11 AM
You need to make sure the turntables are plugged into the phono input, rather than the CD/Line. Easy mistake to make! There may be a switch to alternate between inputs.

BigPanda
01-14-2015, 10:13 AM
If I remember correctly, there is a tiny black switch for each channel on the back of the mixer. Also nice equipment! I loved my 250 when I had it.

williamlocke
01-14-2015, 10:22 AM
Thank you very much BigPanda! Didn't realise there were small switches to determine between phono and line inputs on the mixer, I'm guessing that's the issue.

I spent long enough researching all the equipment, I'm glad it's decent! Can't wait for it to be actually audible.

Cheers again.

BigPanda
01-14-2015, 11:37 AM
No problem! Good luck with the learning experience. It can be very frustrating to begin with (especially with vinyl) but such a great feeling when you get those beats locked!